Connections Issues U4, Win 10 PC, Win 10 Laptop and USB HDD on Router

Moderators: Gully, peteru

KGL
Master

Connections Issues U4, Win 10 PC, Win 10 Laptop and USB HDD on Router

Post by KGL » Fri Jan 01, 2021 17:37

I have just replaced my HDD following my thread U4 Crashing and Odd Behaviour
A refresher: Firmware: beyonwiz 19.3.20191106 (19.3-273-g6f501ae)
Network Share: ARCHER_C3150_volumesda1: NFS using autofs: 192.168.0.1:/volume(sda1) (192.168.0.1)
Everything mostly seems to be working fine - recording and playback, file structure etc. except....

1. I can see the movie folder and subfolders of the U4 from both my Laptop and PC
  2. I can access the PC folders via UpNp but not autofs
  3. I cant even see the Laptop from the U4 - in the file list view
  4. I can't see either the Laptop or the PC in File Commander
  5. I have tried to set up the network under Setup > Network > Network Browser (I can see both the PC and Laptop and entered usernames and passwords
  6. Samba, NFS, FTP and DLNA are all running
  7. I can't copy files from the PC or Laptop to the "movie" folder. I can copy to subfolders that I have created. I assume this is a read/write issue but I don't remember it being an issue before. How do I change this?
Now for the wierdest of all.
I can't access my usb drive attached to the router.
  1. I can't access it from the U4 - I can see it listed under autofs but get an error ' doesn't exist.
  2. I can access it from my phone using Solid Explorer and can see ALL files.
  3. I can access it from the PC and Laptop and can see all folders but not all files.
  4. I can access all folders and files when the external drive is attached to the PC or Laptop. I even copied a set of files for a recording via the laptop to the U4 and it plays back fine. So the files are there and working, I just can't access all of them. (I had to copy the files to a subfolder as I can't copy to the movie folder.)
  5. I have checked the USB settings in the router and as far as I can see they are in order.
  6. While the USB drive was connected to my PC, I made sure all the folders were shared.
There is a lot to communicate, I hope I haven't forgotten anything.

Cheers

Greg

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Connections Issues U4, Win 10 PC, Win 10 Laptop and USB HDD on Router

Post by MrQuade » Fri Jan 01, 2021 17:50

Hard to say for the connection to the PC, but for the router connection, try removing the vers=2.1 option. The router is likely to only support SMB 1.x.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 18:50

KGL wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 17:37
I have just replaced my HDD following my thread U4 Crashing and Odd Behaviour
A refresher: Firmware: beyonwiz 19.3.20191106 (19.3-273-g6f501ae)
Network Share: ARCHER_C3150_volumesda1: NFS using autofs: 192.168.0.1:/volume(sda1) (192.168.0.1)
Everything mostly seems to be working fine - recording and playback, file structure etc. except....

1. I can see the movie folder and subfolders of the U4 from both my Laptop and PC
  2. I can access the PC folders via UpNp but not autofs
  3. I cant even see the Laptop from the U4 - in the file list view
  4. I can't see either the Laptop or the PC in File Commander
  5. I have tried to set up the network under Setup > Network > Network Browser (I can see both the PC and Laptop and entered usernames and passwords
  6. Samba, NFS, FTP and DLNA are all running
  7. I can't copy files from the PC or Laptop to the "movie" folder. I can copy to subfolders that I have created. I assume this is a read/write issue but I don't remember it being an issue before. How do I change this?
I found this daunting to decode but the first thing that caught my eye is you refer to NFS. Is that intentional or do you actually mean to use SMB, which requires CIFS mounts? I have no experience of NFS so ignore me if that is intentional.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jan 01, 2021 19:01

KGL wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 17:37
[*]I can access the PC folders via UpNp but not autofs
[*]I cant even see the Laptop from the U4 - in the file list view
[*] I can't see either the Laptop or the PC in File Commander
[*]I have tried to set up the network under Setup > Network > Network Browser (I can see both the PC and Laptop and entered usernames and passwords
[*]Samba, NFS, FTP and DLNA are all running

Were you able to access the PC and laptop previously? Swapping out a HDD should have no impact on this. Did you also perform a firmware flash?
KGL wrote: [*]I can't copy files from the PC or Laptop to the "movie" folder. I can copy to subfolders that I have created. I assume this is a read/write issue but I don't remember it being an issue before. How do I change this?

What does /etc/samba/smb-user.conf contain if you have one?

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:16

I have worked out the problem with the PC and Laptop not reading the ext HDD. I had to turn on SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support In Windows Features On or Off. I assume I could see video files was because of the Media Server of the Router but couldn't see other supporting files without making this change.

I still can't get the BW to see all files on the Ext HDD.
What does /etc/samba/smb-user.conf contain if you have one?
I have the following so I can see attached USB drives to the BW from the PC and Laptop

Code: Select all

SB-usb]
  comment = /sdb1
  path = /media/usb
  guest ok = yes
  read only = no

[USB-sdc1]
  comment = /sdc1
  path = /media/sdc1
  guest ok = yes
  read only = no

[USB-sdd1]
  comment = /sdd1
  path = /media/sdd1
  guest ok = yes
  read only = no
try removing the vers=2.1 option. The router is likely to only support SMB 1.x.
Not sure where this is done

I still can't get the BW to access the drive properly. I have remounted the the drive several times through the Network Browser.

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:23

I will post some images of the setup from the Setup Network Browser and the File Commander
In the File Commander the 2 Archer items, DLNA and Media, will only show "List of Storage Devices"
If I highlight one of the items, and press delete will it delete contents or only the items listing?
Attachments
Setup.png
Last edited by KGL on Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:26

From the Media List navigating to autofs this is what I now get although I did previously see the router but it did not list my files
Attachments
Media Autofs.png

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:32

From Media List navigating to and via upnp I can see all folders but some folders seem to show all files while others only show search and metadata items.
Attachments
Media unpn.png

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:45

KGL wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:32
From Media List navigating to and via upnp I can see all folders but some folders seem to show all files while others only show search and metadata items.
Don't bother with dlna. it is a garbage protocol, and will only lead to unpredictable results.
KGL wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:16
When you create the CIFS mount, during the creation process, there will be a field for mount options near the bottom of the screen. Try removing the vers=2.1 option from there before you save your mount.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:53

KGL wrote:

In Mountpoints management (MENU>>Setup>>Network>>Mount manager) for the "Files(sda1)" share of "ARCHER_C3150" - but it looks like you've not mounted this yet going by one of the screenshots.
KGL wrote: I still can't get the BW to access the drive properly. I have remounted the the drive several times through the Network Browser.

Likely because you've not mounted any share from the router's attached drive.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:58

KGL wrote:
I have worked out the problem with the PC and Laptop not reading the ext HDD. I had to turn on SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support In Windows Features On or Off. I assume I could see video files was because of the Media Server of the Router but couldn't see other supporting files without making this change.

I still can't get the BW to see all files on the Ext HDD.
Be aware that Windows 10 version 2004 has a very buggy smb1.0 implementation. If your drives mapped in Windows go missing check the Windows version.

There is a workaround that involves the Windows " net use " command that has worked for a friend of mine. Not recommended for general use.

Are the folders shared in Windows 10? It may be Windows is set to a subfolder and not the higher level folder.

I still can't get the BW to access the drive properly. I have remounted the the drive several times through the Network Browser.
See Menu - Setup - Network - Mount manager. Find the drive entry and select to edit.

If that doesn't work, try changing "autofs" to "fstab". Fstab may require you to remount the drive if it is off when the U4 starts. Autofs is very flaky in the current implementation. One of my U4s cannot mount the T4 except using FSTAB but the other is OK with AUTOFS.
Denon AVR -X2400H

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Fri Jan 08, 2021 14:34

When you create the CIFS mount, during the creation process, there will be a field for mount options near the bottom of the screen. Try removing the vers=2.1 option from there before you save your mount.
I went back to the mounting setup and removed the vers=2.1 and that fixed all the access problems.

I would like to tidy up some remaining remnants of past activities.
From the Media List screen, the yellow button (Location) brings up a list that includes ...volumesda1, DLNA and Media. None of these are valid locations. How do I remove them?

In the File Commander screen the ...volumesda1, DLNA and Media all just show "List of Storage Devices". How do I remove these? Does the delete button do this or does that result in something more sinister?
Attachments
Location.png
fc.png
fc.png (94.3 KiB) Viewed 2118 times

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Jan 08, 2021 14:37

KGL wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 14:34
How do I remove them?
They should vanish after you reboot.

That locations popup will show bookmarks, mountpoints and recently visited locations. The list should get re-built when you start the Wiz.

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Fri Jan 08, 2021 14:41

Be aware that Windows 10 version 2004 has a very buggy smb1.0 implementation.
I was having trouble with the annoying Credential Manager forgetting passwords on ver 2004, so when ver 20H2 became available I installed the update. I have also changed the log in from local to Microsoft account login and the password issue seems to be fixed. I can't say I previously had an issue with smb1.0

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Jan 10, 2021 09:01

KGL wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 14:41
Be aware that Windows 10 version 2004 has a very buggy smb1.0 implementation.
I was having trouble with the annoying Credential Manager forgetting passwords on ver 2004, so when ver 20H2 became available I installed the update. I have also changed the log in from local to Microsoft account login and the password issue seems to be fixed. I can't say I previously had an issue with smb1.0

Some clever fellow worked out that unchecking the "Do not store password" box in Task Scheduler scheduled tasks when "Run whether user is logged on or not" is selected resolved the issue of "password amnesia" in Windows 10. If you do that then you can go back to using a local account login.

As you have observed the issue did not manifest itself when using a Microsoft account login, prompting speculation that if might be a deliberate move by Microsoft to force users to use a Microsoft account login.

The issue arose sometime in the second half of 2020. I don't know if it has been fixed yet by Microsoft, I haven't checked.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:47

Thanks for that tip raymondjpg.

It was our longtime user Csutak40 who mysteriously lost access to her NASes from two of three Windows 10 machines. My amateur attempt to help yielded the work around of mapping them via a .bat file containing net use commands.

If Judy reports more problems I'll try that suggestion.
Denon AVR -X2400H

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:23

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:47
Thanks for that tip raymondjpg.

It was our longtime user Csutak40 who mysteriously lost access to her NASes from two of three Windows 10 machines. My amateur attempt to help yielded the work around of mapping them via a .bat file containing net use commands.

If Judy reports more problems I'll try that suggestion.

There is a way to see if certain tasks might be causing problems:

1. Copy and paste the command below into Windows PowerShell and press Enter.
2. Get-ScheduledTask | foreach { If (([xml](Export-ScheduledTask -TaskName $_.TaskName -TaskPath $_.TaskPath)).GetElementsByTagName("LogonType").'#text' -eq "S4U") { $_.TaskName } }
3. If you see any Tasks listed from the PowerShell output, make a note of them.

The Microsoft recommendation was to disable any tasks listed. That is not necessary when unchecking the "Do not store password" box does the trick. However there are some security implications, which were a bit over my head and frankly did not bother me, but might bother some.

It was a choice between using a Microsoft login account, putting up with the security implications of unchecking the "Do not store password" box, or living with the password amnesia.

N.B. I have no idea if the issue is still extant in Windows 10, or if it has already been fixed by Microsoft, or if the Powershell command will list any tasks if it has been fixed. As I said, I haven't checked it all out, but then I also haven't seen any reports that it has been fixed yet.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:50

Thanks again raymondjpg.

Hopefully it won't come to that! Nevertheless, I will try it if the easy option fails.
Denon AVR -X2400H

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:25

Some clever fellow worked out that unchecking the "Do not store password" box in Task Scheduler scheduled tasks when "Run whether user is logged on or not" is selected resolved the issue of "password amnesia" in Windows 10. If you do that then you can go back to using a local account login.
I had a look at this and all the "Do not store password" boxes I could see were unchecked - unless I was looking in the wrong place.

2. Get-ScheduledTask | foreach { If (([xml](Export-ScheduledTask -TaskName $_.TaskName -TaskPath $_.TaskPath)).GetElementsByTagName("LogonType").'#text' -eq "S4U") { $_.TaskName } }
I tried this previously but it didn't really work for me.

Cheers

Greg

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Fri Feb 12, 2021 08:47

KGL wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:25
I had a look at this and all the "Do not store password" boxes I could see were unchecked - unless I was looking in the wrong place.

I tried this previously but it didn't really work for me.

Cheers

Greg

The problem tasks for me were those that I had set up myself.

Powershell probably needs to be run as administrator for the search to work:

1. Type powershell in the windows search box, right mouse click and select run as administrator.
2. Select the command below by left click and drag with the mouse:

Get-ScheduledTask | foreach { If (([xml](Export-ScheduledTask -TaskName $_.TaskName -TaskPath $_.TaskPath)).GetElementsByTagName("LogonType").'#text' -eq "S4U") { $_.TaskName } }

right click the selected command and select copy, then go into the powershell window and right click the mouse to paste the command, then hit enter to execute it.

If no tasks are listed then that is not the issue.

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:37

From memory I did run PowerShell as administrator but no tasks showed up.

Greg

Return to “Networking”