Networking problem

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Sandy B
Master

Networking problem

Post by Sandy B » Mon Apr 02, 2018 08:31

I have a problem networking my T4 on a Windows 10 computer. While OpenWebif works perfectly well on my Windows 10 computer and I am able to fully access the internal HDD and two attached external HDD, I unable to “see” the T4 using File Explorer. When I type \\beyonwizt4 into File Explorer it does not recognise the path, strange thing is that my old Windows 7 computer both OpenWebif and File Explore work without a problem.

File Explorer used to work on my Windows 10 computer a few months ago, I can only conclude that some upgrade on Windows 10 corrupted it.

Has anybody got any suggestions, at this stage I can only think of a reinstallation of Windows 10.

raymondjpg
Guru

Re: Networking problem

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 09:46

Sandy B wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 08:31
I have a problem networking my T4 on a Windows 10 computer. While OpenWebif works perfectly well on my Windows 10 computer and I am able to fully access the internal HDD and two attached external HDD, I unable to “see” the T4 using File Explorer. When I type \\beyonwizt4 into File Explorer it does not recognise the path, strange thing is that my old Windows 7 computer both OpenWebif and File Explore work without a problem.

File Explorer used to work on my Windows 10 computer a few months ago, I can only conclude that some upgrade on Windows 10 corrupted it.

Has anybody got any suggestions, at this stage I can only think of a reinstallation of Windows 10.

I wouldn't be reinstalling Windows 10. The disappearing/reappearing network resource in File Explorer is a common problem, just Google for it.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:22

How do you bring up OpenWebif - via the T4's network name or its IP address?
Can you ping the T4 by name in a Windows command prompt - ping beyonwizt4?
Do you get the share showing if you use \\{T4-IP-address} in Windows File Explorer instead of \\beyonwizt4?

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37

Starting in this post we stepped another user through how to fix this problem.

It's probably because Windows 10 is very fussy about security. It won't show up until you set up a password. If you turn off "Password protected sharing" you may see shares but not access them.

Also, the guest account is not active in Windows 10. I prefer to activate the guest account by setting a simple password on it.

Read the thread and you will be able to sort it out.
Cheers, Paul
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:34

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37
Starting in this post we stepped another user through how to fix this problem.

It's probably because Windows 10 is very fussy about security. It won't show up until you set up a password. If you turn off "Password protected sharing" you may see shares but not access them.

Also, the guest account is not active in Windows 10. I prefer to activate the guest account by setting a simple password on it.

Read the thread and you will be able to sort it out.
Cheers, Paul

That is one way to do it. It was established in the thread that you refer to that you preferred to mount shares in a T series by connecting with Guest credentials. I pointed out that mounts could be established without user credentials, and I have no passwords set on my guest accounts.

I have just checked on two Windows 10 installations that my T2 is (today) not visible in File Explorer, but can be made to appear under network by entering \\beyonwizt2 in the address bar. The folder resources are also available on both installations. On one of the installations password protected sharing is enabled, on the other it is not.

OP's disappearing network resource may not be fixable, but there is definitely an issue with access to the T series via the file explorer. My suggestion would be to look a little more closely at what has been set in advanced sharing settings.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 13:31

Hi raymondjpg,

What I'm suggesting the OP try is perhaps best described as a "lowest common denominator" approach that gets it working for those that try it.

No doubt that it works for some without passwords set. But no one seems to know which "advanced settings" consistently restore connectivity. I promise you, I tried quite a few.

I had a working setup that had a mix of machines that worked seamlessly without passwords until MS changed the security settings. Turning off password protected sharing alone didn't restore connectivity. Nor adding permissions to users.

After many hours of trawling MS websites I decided to try adding passwords. Setting a separate user account with a password was an instant success. Setting a password on the guest account equally successful on four machines. Never had a problem since. The longest the shares are inaccessible has been a few minutes.

If anyone can identify just why Windows is such a PTA and how to fix it without passwords then I'm all ears. But adding a password to the guest account is a quick and easy way to get access. First time you use it you enter the credentials and it works.

Cheers, Paul
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Apr 02, 2018 13:45

I understood the issue to be accessing the T4 _from_ a WIN10 box, not the other way around; accessing Windows shares that you guys are posting about :?:

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Apr 02, 2018 13:52

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 13:45
I understood the issue to be accessing the T4 _from_ a WIN10 box, not the other way around; accessing Windows shares that you guys are posting about :?:
+1
I don't think we need to be worrying about Windows permissions settings just yet.

I'd start with the tests you mentioned, plus I would encourage Sandy_B to ensure that the PC and the Beyonwiz units are all getting their IP addresses assigned via DHCP, and also make sure that all devices are using your Internet router (assuming that is the device that is configured as the DHCP server) as their DNS server.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 14:02

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 13:45

My understanding too. I was just pointing out that in line with that previous thread I have no passwords set on my guest accounts, and that setting password protected sharing on or off has no bearing on my ability to access the T2 and its resources via the file explorer by inputting \\beyonwizt2 in the address bar.

Paul_oz53 does have a point though, that setting a password on the guest account might bring OP's T4 into line via the file explorer. I'm doubtful, but I too have no idea why Windows 10 is so difficult with this issue. Others who have commented on the disappearing network resource are definitely uncomplimentary towards Microsoft's attitude, seemingly to ignore or sideline it.

I'd also be interested to see how OP goes with your suggestions. I tried them in my Virtualbox installation of Windows 10 in a Windows 7 host and they all worked for me.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 14:54

Hi all,
You're right to note I am focusing on one direction. The missing part of the total formula is that I set an IP address in each box rather than use DHCP. Also, as the T4 is never off, it is the master browser. From the log, it appears to poll every 5 minutes.

What I also omitted to say was that when the MS settings changed, I also had the missing Explorer access to the T3 and T4. So, in fact, the problem was bidirectional for me. Without the password, Windows Explorer did not show the T3 and T4 in the network tab. Now, it all works nearly all the time without fail. [Edit: By which I mean if I wait a few minutes, the missing item reappears if I refresh Explorer.]

I also map the media folders to drive letters. For reasons I don't understand, the T3 never reconnects until I click on it but the T4 does. Maybe something to do with it not being known to the master browser.

Cheers, Paul
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Apr 02, 2018 15:07

I think we need to know from Sandy B if there are any ethernet switches or wireless access points in the network that the Win7, Win10 and T4 connect to, or just one (modem/) router.

Is it possible that the web browser on the Win10 PC has cached the name->IP address translation, such that it works across a split home network (if that's what Sandy B has) or in a non-DHCP IP assignment?

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 15:27

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 14:54
Hi all,
You're right to note I am focusing on one direction. The missing part of the total formula is that I set an IP address in each box rather than use DHCP. Also, as the T4 is never off, it is the master browser. From the log, it appears to poll every 5 minutes.

What I also omitted to say was that when the MS settings changed, I also had the missing Explorer access to the T3 and T4. So, in fact, the problem was bidirectional for me. Without the password, Windows Explorer did not show the T3 and T4 in the network tab. Now, it all works nearly all the time without fail. [Edit: By which I mean if I wait a few minutes, the missing item reappears if I refresh Explorer.]

I also map the media folders to drive letters. For reasons I don't understand, the T3 never reconnects until I click on it but the T4 does. Maybe something to do with it not being known to the master browser.

Cheers, Paul

Do you have any Windows 10 PCs on your network? Your sig only lists Windows 7.

I don't recall anyone having issues with seeing the T Series from Windows 7. The network issues OP and I are talking about are with Windows 10 PCs.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 17:09

Yes, I realize that its about Win10. I also use two Win10 laptops but I don't use them for long term media storage. The laptops are a pain seeing anything on the network, especially the WiFi printer.

One is for work and the other belongs to my fly in / fly out neighbour. I do sports events for him to catch up on later. He's a Supercars and F1 nut.

However, the Windows Explorer problem started with the Win7 PCs about the Wannacry time.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Mon Apr 02, 2018 17:40

Thanks for the replies, and I am still working through the issues without any luck so far.

This with the Windows 10 computer:
1. Yes I can successfully ping beyonwizt4.

2. With Internet Explorer I can type in the IP Address (192.168.1.6) and I successfully connect to the T4's OpenWedif. I am able to see internal and external HDD.

3. When I type either \\beyonwizt4 or \\192.168.1.6 into File Explorer I get the message that "Windows cannot access beyonwizt4 or 192.168.1.6".

4. I have assigned 192.168.1.6 to the T4 on the modem.

As previously advised I am able to successfully connect via a Windows 7 machine with both the Internet Explorer and File Explorer, with the Beyonwiz drive showing under Networks in the File Explorer. My old DP-P2 also sees the T4, and able to access all HDD.

I have also tried installing xplore2 Lite, it also does not see the network drive.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 18:01

Sandy B wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 17:40
3. When I type either \\beyonwizt4 or \\192.168.1.6 into File Explorer I get the message that "Windows cannot access beyonwizt4 or 192.168.1.6".

If you haven't done so already I would suggest restarting both the Windows 10 PC and the T4. Warm boot should be sufficient if either has lost its networking bundle. Although it is a different situation, rebooting a Windows 7 PC resolved an issue of mine where the T2 could not see the Windows shares.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Mon Apr 02, 2018 18:14

The problem has been occurring for a few months now and all boxes have had numerous reboots. It was the first thing I tried and it does not explain why the Windows 7 computer or the DP-P2 does not have a problem.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 19:56

Sandy B wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 18:14
The problem has been occurring for a few months now and all boxes have had numerous reboots. It was the first thing I tried and it does not explain why the Windows 7 computer or the DP-P2 does not have a problem.

What it does say is that there is a problem with the Windows 10 PC that is not apparent with the Windows 7 PC. I have exactly the same sort of network setup as you with both Windows 7 and Windows 10 PCs on the LAN. Networking the T2 with Windows 7 has never been a problem, but with Windows 10 there has often been some issue or other.

My suggestion originally was to look again a little more closely at advanced sharing settings, and see if matching the settings in Windows 10 with those in Windows 7 resolves the issue. Another possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet is if a Windows Homegroup has been set up recently. Homegroups and Workgroups don't always work well together.

Otherwise, from what you have reported, I cannot see anything obviously wrong with your network setup.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Apr 02, 2018 20:27

Check your Windows services and make sure the computer browser service is up and running.

It sounds like your DNS resolution is happening just fine, it is the SMB functionality on Windows that is buggered.

Unfortunately troubleshooting from here gets complicated and messy.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:24

Quick update:

I did find some settings difference between the Window 7 and the Windows 10 machine. However the Windows 10 machine refuses to save the setting changes.

I had a 3 hour long chat with Microsoft support, and they also could not resolve the issue. What hope have I got if it stumps them. I am now waiting for a call back from a higher technician to see if he can resolve the issue.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Tue Apr 03, 2018 15:28

Sandy B wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:24
I did find some settings difference between the Window 7 and the Windows 10 machine. However the Windows 10 machine refuses to save the setting changes.

I'm not recommending this, but I personally find that much of the security built into Windows to be unnecessary for many home users, perhaps more suited for IT admins in more sensitive work environments.

I always disable UAC to Never Notify, despite the dire warnings, and at some stage I became ticked off with Windows 10 always requiring specific action to run anything as administrator. I disabled it, and although I do not recall exactly how, it was probably through the registry tweak laid out here https://superuser.com/questions/1113407 ... 13#1113413.

You can try this at your own risk, and it can always be reversed. It might allow you to change your advanced network settings. Changing them might not fix your original problem, but it's probably worth a try.

Your original solution of reinstalling Windows 10 might, in the end, be the only way to restore your networking to normalcy. An in place upgrade might also fix it, or it could just leave you with the same problem. If an sfc /scannow does not come up clean, perhaps even if it does, then it is well worth trying dism https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use- ... s-10-image.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Wed Apr 11, 2018 14:56

After spending hours with Microsoft Support I can unfortunately report that the problem is still unresolved.

Hopefully you will recall that typing //beyonwizt4 into my Windows 10 File Explorer I connect to OpenWebif without a problem and have all functions, however typing in \\beyonwizt4 it does not access it, yet all works perfectly well with a Windows 7 computer.

Microsoft, after hours of analysis and raising the problem to a higher level were unable to resolve the issue. The only explanation was that certain feature of Windows 10 were removed in a January 2018 update, and that they were working on an update which was to be released shortly. I questioned the fact, that if they had deleted the capability of File Explorer to see network drives from Windows 10 was I the only person in the world to encounter this problem, and would they not have millions of users complaining.

My question, is anybody out there having problems seeing a network file using File Explorer on a Windows 10 computer.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Apr 11, 2018 15:53

MS support are correct of course when they say that there were recent Windows updates/removals that increased the file sharing security.

The T series got a similar set of security updates around the same period.

I am not sure if you have stated anywhere what version of firmware you are running. To make sure we are all working off the same page, it is highly advised that you make sure you are running the latest T4 firmware in the 17.5 series. This can be downloaded from the sticky thread at the top of the beta area of the forums. This should sort out any SMB version compatibility issues that you may be seeing if you are running older firmware.

If you are already on 17.5, then the latest versions of Windows 10 are known to work perfectly with the T and U series Wiz units, as long as your network and PC are in good order.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Wed Apr 11, 2018 16:45

Thanks for your quick reply, my reservation is that I am having the same problem accessing the Windows 7 computer and would have thought that Microsoft would have sorted that out.

Yes I am running the old software on the T4 ( Driver 2016-04-05, Last Upgrade: 2016-08-18), I being reluctant to upgrade due to losing the settings.

I assume you are saying that if I upgrade the T4 software I stand a good chance of resolving the problem.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Apr 11, 2018 17:24

Sandy B wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 16:45
Thanks for your quick reply, my reservation is that I am having the same problem accessing the Windows 7 computer and would have thought that Microsoft would have sorted that out.
Since Microsoft moved away from Window XP, the file sharing and networking has gotten increasingly complex and problematic.

Most of the time it "Just works" between Windows versions (7 , 8 or 10) , but even then, as you are seeing, you can still see some problems. And when it doesn't work, the fix isn't always easy to discover unfortunately :(.

Both Windows 7 and 10 received several security upgrades relating to file sharing, and there is plenty of potential for things to have gotten broken or made incompatible due to one of those updates.
Sandy B wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 16:45
Yes I am running the old software on the T4 ( Driver 2016-04-05, Last Upgrade: 2016-08-18), I being reluctant to upgrade due to losing the settings.

I assume you are saying that if I upgrade the T4 software I stand a good chance of resolving the problem.
It *should* help since the whole file sharing side of things on the Wiz has been completely re-worked and modernised. But if Windows is broken, then it has to be fixed on the Windows side (so it is hard to make promises) :(.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Wed Apr 11, 2018 18:59

The fact that I can connect to the T4 via <//beyonwizt4>, makes me think that it is on the Windows 10 side. I find it hard to understand that currently when connected I am able to stream, program, access attached HDD etc., that a T4 software upgrade would solve the problem.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Apr 11, 2018 19:53

Sandy B wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 18:59
The fact that I can connect to the T4 via <//beyonwizt4>, makes me think that it is on the Windows 10 side. I find it hard to understand that currently when connected I am able to stream, program, access attached HDD etc., that a T4 software upgrade would solve the problem.

All of that access is being done by OpenWebif.
The URL //beyonwizt4 is accessing the web server on the T4 (OpenWebif or OWIF as it is sometimes called) from your browser. It is accessing your T4 using the HTTP protocol. It is not directly accessing the T4 via file sharing.

But of course up to you as to whether you upgrade or not.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Thu Apr 12, 2018 09:17

I have noted that the "official" download from the Beyonwiz site is Version beyonwizt4-v16.1-20170310, however I have also noted a T4 - beyonwiz-17.5-beyonwizt4-20180216_usb.zip version available through the forum.

I assume that the Beyonwiz 17.5 version is "safe" to install.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Apr 12, 2018 09:49

There have been many later USB firmware images than that 20180216 you mentioned - why did you pick that one?
20180408 is the latest - viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12424
Do you use DLNA on the T4 to play from other sources?

You are still on an old 4.4-image, so from a web browser on your PC, you can open and then print your settings file via -
file://beyonwizt4/Root/etc/enigma2/
ftp://root:none@beyonwizt4/etc/enigma2/

You can do the same for your AutoTimer definitions ("autotimer.xml") and timers ("timers.xml") as well if you set any manual timers.

This will make it a bit easier to re-enter your settings, AutoTimers, and timers.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28

I got that version from doing a search in the forum, and that came up, which seemed more up to date than from the "official" site.

To date I have not used the DLNA.

Thanks for the;
file://beyonwizt4/Root/etc/enigma2/
ftp://root:none@beyonwizt4/etc/enigma2/

You have certainly given me a lot of information, which for an old fella like me will take a bit of time to digest.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:56

Sandy B wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28
I got that version from doing a search in the forum, and that came up, which seemed more up to date than from the "official" site.

The current mainstream beta will normally be found as a sticky in the Announcements section of the Public Beta area.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “Networking”