T4 Can't see shares on Mac (Sierra)

Moderators: Gully, peteru

cookster670
Apprentice

T4 Can't see shares on Mac (Sierra)

Post by cookster670 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 06:37

Hi There

I've read through various posts here, but can't find a solution to my issue

I have an Apple Mac (mac mini) running latest build of Sierra. I have shared a movies folder, created an account and password and selected Windows Smb sharing.

From a Windows 10 PC, this all works fine, however from the T4, if I scan, I can find the Mac, but not shares appear under it.
I have updated the login info with the username and password, but if I select OK to expand the MAC, no shares appear.

Any ideas what I'm missing here ? I'm not new to networking or file sharing, but am new to Mac and this has me stumped.

cookster670
Apprentice

Re: T4 Can't see shares on Mac (Sierra)

Post by cookster670 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 06:42

*bump

Any ideas ? Still can't get it to work

File sharing is fine, just not to a T4

Altimes
Master

Post by Altimes » Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:30

No solution, but confirming that it not just you. T4 cannot see a MacBook (Sierra) "share" that a windows box can see. Incidentally neither can a P2 see it (so it is not just a T4 issue), the P2 can see other windows (SMB) shares on the local network. I have futzed around a bit and used smbtree and smbclient on the T4 and it can communicate with the MacBook but chokes with various error messages. (failed tcon_X with NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED, anonymous failed session setup with NT_STATUS_PIPE_BROKEN and some others). A bit of research shows that many people have trouble getting access to Mac shares from UNIX systems using SMB. Superficially it looks like an authentication issue but where in the chain it is failing and how to correct the issue is another story.

In some respects using a Windows NT networking sharing protocol to communicate between two nominally UNIX boxes is probably asking for *issues*.

I had a shot at using NFS and got a little futher (permission denied at mount time), but my UNIX networking knowledge is of the faded circa 1995 vintage and security was not quite as tight then as it needs to be now, which is probably why.

Others with more contemporary Unix to Unix knowledge may be able to get us further.

T4, 4TB
U4, (small SSD)
IceTV EPG
LG OLED65E8PTA
Akai AK5021S6WOS
Sony HT DDWG800
Wired Network via Telstra Max2 - ASUS RT-AX86U, Netgear DGND3700, GS108TV2, WNDR3700
Synology 918+

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Dec 05, 2016 16:41

OS X SMB sharing played nicely with Linux SMB implementations when OS X used Samba for Windows shares. Then Apple wrote their own SMB implementation...
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “Networking”