How to set up Network Mounts

Moderators: Gully, peteru

jpp
Guru

How to set up Network Mounts

Post by jpp » Thu Dec 10, 2015 19:55

I've been trying to streamline connecting to my NAS with just one "click".

Problem - After I access LOCATION (after having selected MEDIA), I am presented with a number of sources - example below.
Location of media sources.png
Location of media sources.png (41.67 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
If I go directly to the ReadyNAS source, I get the following message:
NAS selection error.png
NAS selection error.png (18.26 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
I can also select the ReadyNAS via a DLNA path. But, I the have to go through several directories to finally get to where I want to be - see below:
ReadyNas folder path.png
What I would like to be able to do is to jump straight through to this folder on my NAS.

Now, I have had a good look into the Network/Mount Manager dialogue boxes to try to add this info here, but it's not obvious where to put the path name?
Mount Manager.png
A brief tutorial on how to achieve this would be much appreciated. What exactly do the various options such as AUTOFS and the many other options mean in the Mount Manager dialogue boxes.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Iscan Duo Video Processor. Yamaha YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector , Popcorn A500, Oppo DV-980H, Sony TV, Harmony 650 Remote

simoncasey
Wizard

Re: How to set up Network Mounts

Post by simoncasey » Thu Dec 10, 2015 20:44

Create another share on your NAS at the folder level that you want to access and mount that share.
Beyonwiz T4

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Thu Dec 10, 2015 20:49

And then you could look at creating a link to the share so that bit appears as a folder in your movie list and then you don't need the location button or you can change the yellow button to be Home (ie the main media folder).

You can create a symlink with basic unix knowledge or I've posted previously how to do it using file commander.
Beyonwiz T4

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Thu Dec 10, 2015 21:09

Thanks Simon.

Just discovered that you can just make a Bookmark with the name of the folder/path you want where the current cursor is on, so I've chosen to just leave it at this for now - saves at least 4 steps/selections which is a big improvement. Now I need to just select the Bookmark on the Location Menu to get me there is one step.
Bookmark for NAS added to Menu.png
Bookmark for NAS added to Menu.png (103.07 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Iscan Duo Video Processor. Yamaha YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector , Popcorn A500, Oppo DV-980H, Sony TV, Harmony 650 Remote

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Dec 10, 2015 21:30

Hi Phil,

Do you have a space in your NAS host (share) name - that's why your Samba share has been shortened and isn't working?
Your DLNA share however is working, and you've now created a bookmark for it.

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Thu Dec 10, 2015 22:15

G'day Geoff. No no extra spaces. Still can't figure out why my NAS won't mount...It shows mounted in the Mount Manager.... Adding Bookmarks under Menu whilst in the Location Menu is a great and simple way to get straight to where you want though and as I'm able to connect via DLNA, I guess I'll leave the NFS and SAMBA sharing issue for another time.....

It would be nice though, if you could disable the DELETE function when connected to the NAS. I realise that it's needed when connected to the local drive and I guess as the Tx series allows you to use an external drive as tghe main and ONLY HDD, you then need it enabled.

I guess what I asking for is a per storage device selection for disabling the DELETE function.... Luckily there is a warning before the final step in deleting the file.
Phil.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Dec 10, 2015 22:27

The best way to avoid accidental deletion on a NAS, is to set up the NAS share such that you can connect to it with a user account that only has read privileges to that share.

All my AV devices connect to my NAS as read only guests.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Fri Dec 11, 2015 09:57

Thanks MrQuade - will get onto that.

You know, I'm just amazed at how much this little box (T2) can do. Almost every parameter you can think of relating to Picture Quality, Frame rate adjustments and Networking is customisable. Well and truly beyond any other PVR I've ever come across. It really deserves a fully comprehensive manual as I think most people aren't aware of the almost inexhaustible customisation and capabilities it offers.
Phil.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:57

Hi Phil,

Does your NAS have a reserved IP address - I'm assuming so and it is at 192.168.1.7, yes?

I don't have any NFS shares, so I can't offer any specific NFS advice as I've only a SMB share on my Windows PC.
Is the share name "media" accessible from other devices?
Is it, as "simoncasey" was getting at, "at the folder level that you want to access and mount that share"?

Return to “FAQs, Tips & How to Guides”