Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

Re: New Firmware for all T-Series Models (T2/T3/T4) 10/03/20

Post by prl » Sat Apr 01, 2017 17:54

mike007 wrote:
prl wrote:
mike007 wrote:...
Ok now I'm confused, can I get rid of the ticks on the first page setting up a auto timer or not?
Did you try this? It's also not quite what you want. But if you've tried that and don't like it, you've exhausted the options.
Thanks Peter,
I'm not sure what that link was supposed to show me but I've tried everything and can't get rid of the ticks. It's weird to me to have them ticked by default then say in the guide to untick them. ...
Strange. The usual way of creating links to posts seems to be broken. It intended to be a reference to this earlier post:
prl wrote:If you use EPG, navigate to show, REC, BLUE (instead of EPG, navigate to show, BLUE) I think it should set up an AutoTimer using the defaults set in "Edit new timer defaults". However, it will create the AutoTimer immediately without giving you the opportunity to modify it.

You can still modify it in MENU>AutoTimer.
Using EPG, navigate to show, REC, BLUE will never show the "ticks" screen.

The correct link to the post is this.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

mike007
Master

Re: New Firmware for all T-Series Models (T2/T3/T4) 10/03/20

Post by mike007 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 18:10

prl wrote:
mike007 wrote:
prl wrote:
Ok now I'm confused, can I get rid of the ticks on the first page setting up a auto timer or not?
Did you try this? It's also not quite what you want. But if you've tried that and don't like it, you've exhausted the options.
Thanks Peter,
I'm not sure what that link was supposed to show me but I've tried everything and can't get rid of the ticks. It's weird to me to have them ticked by default then say in the guide to untick them. ...
Strange. The usual way of creating links to posts seems to be broken. It intended to be a reference to this earlier post:
prl wrote:If you use EPG, navigate to show, REC, BLUE (instead of EPG, navigate to show, BLUE) I think it should set up an AutoTimer using the defaults set in "Edit new timer defaults". However, it will create the AutoTimer immediately without giving you the opportunity to modify it.

You can still modify it in MENU>AutoTimer.
Using EPG, navigate to show, REC, BLUE will never show the "ticks" screen.

The correct link to the post is this.
Yeah I tried that and it sets the timer without the time restraint but only on the day set, a way to stop it ticking them in the first place would be great.
Thanks for your help.

prl
Wizard God

Re: A quick guide to Beyonwiz T series AutoTimers

Post by prl » Sat Apr 01, 2017 18:19

I'll have a bit of a dig around in the code and see what might be done.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 18:23

prl wrote:I'll have a bit of a dig around in the code and see what might be done.
Awesome, thanks mate.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Apr 01, 2017 18:29

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:I'll have a bit of a dig around in the code and see what might be done.
Perhaps an option can be added to skip the initial tick box screen and just go direct to the main AutoTimer edit screen. This would also better match the AutoTimers to the normal timers UI experience.

Regards,
Ian.

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 18:44

IanSav wrote:Hi Prl,
Perhaps an option can be added to skip the initial tick box screen and just go direct to the main AutoTimer edit screen. This would also better match the AutoTimers to the normal timers UI experience.

Regards,
Ian.
I untick day and time restraints on the first page and do nothing on the second so that would just make even more moves for me. IMO having the option to have whatever you want ticked or not ticked on the first page and being able to skip the second would be better.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Apr 01, 2017 22:38

In my opinion, once you've setup AutoTimers using OpenWebif, you'll never go back to the UI way.

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:40

Daylight savings has highlighted an issue with my auto timers. Most were an hour out. The Epg was right, but any timer not on 7Flix was firing an hour early for some reason. Only way to get them to update was delete them, and then make a change to one and save, which updated them correctly. My auto timer settings are setup as above, with auto polling on, so I thought they should update automatically. Any thoughts or ideas?

Blonk

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:04

blonk wrote:... Any thoughts or ideas? ...
The traditional semi-annual lottery that is the TV broadcasters' handling of DST time changes?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:06

My cats don't handle DST at all - a chorus of "feed me, feed me now" or we will kill you! The curtains are completely jaded...
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:08

netmask wrote:My cats don't handle DST at all - a chorus of "feed me, feed me now" or we will kill you! The curtains are completely jaded...
Luck you if that only happens around DST changes! ;)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:33

prl wrote:
blonk wrote:... Any thoughts or ideas? ...
The traditional semi-annual lottery that is the TV broadcasters' handling of DST time changes?
I kind of expected this, but I thought the autotimers automatically updated when refreshed EPG data was generated. Is this not the case? I also ran EPG refresh prior, but this didn't update the existing timers either.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:07

Hi Blonk,
blonk wrote:I kind of expected this, but I thought the autotimers automatically updated when refreshed EPG data was generated. Is this not the case? I also ran EPG refresh prior, but this didn't update the existing timers either.
This is perhaps my greatest disappointment in AutoTimers, once created AutoTimer created timers do not get changed or corrected with updates to the EPG. :(

Regards,
Ian.

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:28

IanSav wrote:Hi Blonk,
blonk wrote:I kind of expected this, but I thought the autotimers automatically updated when refreshed EPG data was generated. Is this not the case? I also ran EPG refresh prior, but this didn't update the existing timers either.
This is perhaps my greatest disappointment in AutoTimers, once created AutoTimer created timers do not get changed or corrected with updates to the EPG. :(

Regards,
Ian.
My timers have the correct time and so does the EPG, am I to understand that they'll fire an hr early anyway?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 13:05

mike007 wrote:... My timers have the correct time and so does the EPG, am I to understand that they'll fire an hr early anyway?
Do you have the correct timezone setting (especially, do you have the setting for a timezone that has the right DST rules)? Though I think a wrong timzone setting would have different symptoms.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 13:19

prl wrote:
mike007 wrote:... My timers have the correct time and so does the EPG, am I to understand that they'll fire an hr early anyway?
Do you have the correct timezone setting (especially, do you have the setting for a timezone that has the right DST rules)? Though I think a wrong timzone setting would have different symptoms.
Yes I'm in Melbourne so +10. When I updated yesterday and set everything up again it was still +10 but it showed DST time, which is of course +11.

Edit- I don't have any symptoms, all my timers are right. Just from previous posts I assumed they were going to fire an hr early anyway.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 13:24

Edit- I don't have any symptoms, all my timers are right. Just from previous posts I assumed they were going to fire an hr early anyway.
My misunderstanding, but perhaps those whose timers are out might want to check their timezone settings.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 13:32

prl wrote:
My misunderstanding, but perhaps those whose timers are out might want to check their timezone settings.
Cool, I'll keep an eye on my first one today just to make sure. :)

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 16:04

Regards,
Ian.
So,
Autotimers won't get altered if the EPG times are changed after they are created. I guess it would make sense to only create timers a day in advance to minimise issues. Are there any plans to rectify this issue?

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 16:06

prl wrote:
Timezone setttings is GMT + 10, with sync time set at Transponder time. I haven't touched these settings anytime recently.

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 16:11

blonk wrote:

Regards,
Ian.
So,
Autotimers won't get altered if the EPG times are changed after they are created. I guess it would make sense to only create timers a day in advance to minimise issues. Are there any plans to rectify this issue?
There's a setting in EPGrefresh to run auto timer after refresh.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 16:43

blonk wrote:... Timezone setttings is GMT + 10, with sync time set at Transponder time. I haven't touched these settings anytime recently.
Not really specific enough. There are three GMT+10 settings, for Hobart, Brisbane, and Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney.

They differ on the specifics of their DST settings, so at this time of the year an incorrect setting is likely to make itself known.

IIRC, the Hobart and Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney DST dates are currently the same, but historically Hobart used to have a longer DST period, so different DST dates. The Brisbane setting has no DST change for recent dates, though if you go back far enough DST will apply to some old dates.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Apr 02, 2017 18:50

blonk wrote:

Regards,
Ian.
So,
They do get changed, as per setting 'Modify existing timers'. From prl's FAQ:
Modify existing timers controls whether and how timers are updated if their event's time changes in the EPG. "None" disables this feature. "All non-repeating timers" allows the timer to be modified even if its event id is different from the event id in the EPG, and "Only AutoTimers with the same EIT" allows the timer to be changed if the EPG event id is the same as the timer event id. If you want to modify timers using "Guess existing timer on begin/end" (below), you need to set this to "All non-repeating timers". If "Guess existing" is disabled, "All non-repeating timers" and "Only AutoTimers with the same EIT" should have the same effect.

My test - I altered an AutoTimer generated timer from its 17:25 start time to (19:25 and then) 16:25. The AutoTimer plugin came along later and changed it to match the EPG entry (taking into account padding).
Attachments
AT_time_change_test.png

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Apr 02, 2017 19:02

Hi Geoff,

Given your post why do AutoTimer timers for events that are no longer in the EPG get left to run on the wrong program?

Regards,
Ian.

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 19:12

mike007 wrote: There's a setting in EPGrefresh to run auto timer after refresh.
Thanks, it's already on, and I ran EPG refresh, but timers still didn't update.

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 19:13

prl wrote:
blonk wrote:... Timezone setttings is GMT + 10, with sync time set at Transponder time. I haven't touched these settings anytime recently.
Not really specific enough. There are three GMT+10 settings, for Hobart, Brisbane, and Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney.

They differ on the specifics of their DST settings, so at this time of the year an incorrect setting is likely to make itself known.

IIRC, the Hobart and Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney DST dates are currently the same, but historically Hobart used to have a longer DST period, so different DST dates. The Brisbane setting has no DST change for recent dates, though if you go back far enough DST will apply to some old dates.
Apologies, GMT +10 Canberra,Melbourne,Sydney. I'm in Sydney.

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 19:15

IanSav wrote:Hi Geoff,

Given your post why do AutoTimer timers for events that are no longer in the EPG get left to run on the wrong program?

Regards,
Ian.
Yeah we were talking about that a few weeks ago, I was hoping that was fixed in the update, like double recordings supposed to have been. Time will tell I guess.

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 19:19

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
blonk wrote:

Regards,
Ian.
So,
They do get changed, as per setting 'Modify existing timers'. From prl's FAQ:
Modify existing timers controls whether and how timers are updated if their event's time changes in the EPG. "None" disables this feature. "All non-repeating timers" allows the timer to be modified even if its event id is different from the event id in the EPG, and "Only AutoTimers with the same EIT" allows the timer to be changed if the EPG event id is the same as the timer event id. If you want to modify timers using "Guess existing timer on begin/end" (below), you need to set this to "All non-repeating timers". If "Guess existing" is disabled, "All non-repeating timers" and "Only AutoTimers with the same EIT" should have the same effect.

My test - I altered an AutoTimer generated timer from its 17:25 start time to (19:25 and then) 16:25. The AutoTimer plugin came along later and changed it to match the EPG entry (taking into account padding).
Setting is "All non-repeating timers". If I make a change to an Autotimer it will update fine, it's when the EPG data changes (e.g. program start time is updated by the network), the EPG gets updated, but the Autotimer doesn't.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Apr 02, 2017 19:30

Regards,
Ian.
AFAIK, the AutoTimer plugin iterates only over the EPG. The plugin does not do a 'reverse run', iterating over AT-generated timers that no longer qualify.

Cheers.
Geoff

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 19:31

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:

Regards,
Ian.
AFAIK, the AutoTimer plugin iterates only over the EPG. The plugin does not do a 'reverse run', iterating over AT-generated timers that no longer qualify.

Cheers.
Geoff
Yes, but it should :D

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 19:35

Another thing that's annoying is if you delete a timer while in progress, it starts recording again. If you delete a recording it should stay deleted :D

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Apr 02, 2017 19:36

Hi Geoff,
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:AFAIK, the AutoTimer plugin iterates only over the EPG. The plugin does not do a 'reverse run', iterating over AT-generated timers that no longer qualify.
Shame. It would be nice if that became an option.

Regards,
Ian.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Apr 02, 2017 19:43

blonk wrote:...
Setting is "All non-repeating timers". If I make a change to an Autotimer it will update fine, it's when the EPG data changes (e.g. program start time is updated by the network), the EPG gets updated, but the Autotimer doesn't.
Well, I just showed that when the times of an AT-generated timer (taking into consideration either the global padding or the AT definition's custom padding) is not consistent with the relevant EPG entry at the time the EPG is parsed by the AT plugin, the timer is updated.
Note that I didn't alter the AT definition, I simply modified the AT-generated timer.
You don't think my test is valid?

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 20:41

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Well, I just showed that when the times of an AT-generated timer (taking into consideration either the global padding or the AT definition's custom padding) is not consistent with the relevant EPG entry at the time the EPG is parsed by the AT plugin, the timer is updated.
Note that I didn't alter the AT definition, I simply modified the AT-generated timer.
I don't think it is valid, because you are changing the timer. I've verified that if I do the same, mine gets updated. What you need to do, is update the epg, and see what happens to an existing timer. Unfortunately you can't update the epg. It's like the auto timer is seeing the timer, seeing the epg, but not the time differences, so it gets ignored.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Apr 02, 2017 21:02

blonk wrote:
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
I don't think it is valid, because you are changing the timer. I've verified that if I do the same, mine gets updated. What you need to do, is update the epg, and see what happens to an existing timer. Unfortunately you can't update the epg. It's like the auto timer is seeing the timer, seeing the epg, but not the time differences, so it gets ignored.
Here's an example of where the timer was changed 10.5 hours prior to the event start time.
As you can see, the timer was originally generated on 2-Dec. On 9-Dec, its start time was then adjusted to 17:30 (I use IceTV, so the EPG times are on 5-min boundaries, and my pre-padding is 10 minutes).
My guess is that IceTV altered the event start time. That was reflected in the generated timer, as it should,
AT_time_change.png

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 21:03

blonk wrote:
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mine says "X number of timers modified" after the auto timer runs so I don't know what's happening with yours.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Apr 02, 2017 21:13

blonk wrote:Timezone setttings is GMT + 10, with sync time set at Transponder time. I haven't touched these settings anytime recently.
I don't think anyone picked up on this so far but Transponder time is not reliable generally, much better to use network time sync.
Cheers
Gully

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 21:24

Gully wrote:
blonk wrote:Timezone setttings is GMT + 10, with sync time set at Transponder time. I haven't touched these settings anytime recently.
I don't think anyone picked up on this so far but Transponder time is not reliable generally, much better to use network time sync.
Oh I thought that was the same thing? Do you use the au.pool.ntp.org? I've always used transponder and never had a problem.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Apr 02, 2017 21:36

mike007 wrote:Oh I thought that was the same thing? Do you use the au.pool.ntp.org? I've always used transponder and never had a problem.
au.pool.ntp.org is fine.
Transponder means it is coming as part of the TV signal so if they are getting confused, and in the past there have been plenty of examples of that, then you will get your Beyonwiz confused too.

NTP is usually much more reliable.
Cheers
Gully

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 21:43

Gully wrote:
mike007 wrote:Oh I thought that was the same thing? Do you use the au.pool.ntp.org? I've always used transponder and never had a problem.
au.pool.ntp.org is fine.
Transponder means it is coming as part of the TV signal so if they are getting confused, and in the past there have been plenty of examples of that, then you will get your Beyonwiz confused too.

NTP is usually much more reliable.
Thanks mate I'll give it a go.

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 17:56

Still getting some timers out by an hour. The only way to update is to delete the timers, and then a new one will be created that matches the EPG. I assume this is a glitch that no-one else is getting, so maybe it's time to bite the bullet and install the latest firmware, and hopefully a new install might resolve it.

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:40

Hi guys,
If I set an auto timer on all channels every day with no time restraints it sets the timers but doesn't show up red on the EPG. Alternatively, if I set the auto timer for the program on one channel then try to set it for the same program on another channel the second timer won't set at all. The example is "Supercars: Highlights", it's on One and WINHD on Saturdays and Sundays at different times. Has anyone else noticed this and if so, is it a bug or something I'm doing wrong?
Cheers Mike

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:53

mike007 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:40
If I set an auto timer on all channels every day with no time restraints it sets the timers but doesn't show up red on the EPG.
It might be setting the timer on a service that is not in your favourites bouquet. Several channels Like One, are broadcast on multiple LCNs. If you only have the One that appears on LCN 12 in your bouquet, the autotimer may be actually recording from the One that appears on LCN1.

Open the Terrestrial TV LCN bouquet in your EPG and see if the recording appears in that on the alternate One service.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 13:06

MrQuade wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:53
mike007 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:40
If I set an auto timer on all channels every day with no time restraints it sets the timers but doesn't show up red on the EPG.
It might be setting the timer on a service that is not in your favourites bouquet. Several channels Like One, are broadcast on multiple LCNs. If you only have the One that appears on LCN 12 in your bouquet, the autotimer may be actually recording from the One that appears on LCN1.

Open the Terrestrial TV LCN bouquet in your EPG and see if the recording appears in that on the alternate One service.
Oh yes, that's exactly what's happening. Is there a way to make sure it sets on the one in my favourites list?

Edit- also that doesn't explain why the second timer won't set on a different channel for a program with the same name.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 17, 2017 13:14

Open the Autotimer settings and press BLUE to add services.
Enable the "Enable service restriction" and change "Editing" to "Bouquets"
Then press BLUE to select and add whatever bouquets you want.
mike007 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 13:06
Edit- also that doesn't explain why the second timer won't set on a different channel for a program with the same name.
Autotimers will not set recordings for duplicate events if it can help it. Since you were already recording on the One service, the Win one (being a duplicate) would not be set.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 13:31

MrQuade wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 13:14
Open the Autotimer settings and press BLUE to add services.
Enable the "Enable service restriction" and change "Editing" to "Bouquets"
Then press BLUE to select and add whatever bouquets you want.

Yesssss...it took me a while but I finally got it lol
Thanks heaps MrQuade :D

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jun 17, 2017 13:40

Yes, filtering and channel selection in AutoTimers aren't exactly user-friendly interfaces.

And when you're using quotes, the Preview button is your friend ;)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jun 17, 2017 13:42

Also, it may be useful to use MENU>AutoTimer, MENU>Edit new timer defaults to set up your bouquet choice for all future AutoTimer creations :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

mike007
Master

Post by mike007 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 13:46

prl wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 13:40
And when you're using quotes, the Preview button is your friend ;)
Umm..... not sure what that means but ok.

Return to “FAQs, Tips & How to Guides”