Video "Backup and Restore Settings"

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Wiz HQ
Site Admin

Video "Backup and Restore Settings"

Post by Wiz HQ » Mon May 12, 2014 20:37

Video showing you how to Backup and Restore your settings so you do not loose them in a Factory Reset.

Regards,

Wiz HQ
Forum Admin

Buffy71
Master

Re: Video "Backup and Restore Settings"

Post by Buffy71 » Tue May 13, 2014 19:47

Just followed this to the letter (3 times), and after restoring from factory reset as shown, the unit just does a continuous boot loop, forcing a complete re flash of firmware.
There is a backup file on my internal hdd named something like enigma2settings.tar.gz, is there another way to restore these settings?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 13, 2014 20:16

Buffy71 wrote:Just followed this to the letter (3 times), and after restoring from factory reset as shown, the unit just does a continuous boot loop, forcing a complete re flash of firmware.
There is a backup file on my internal hdd named something like enigma2settings.tar.gz, is there another way to restore these settings?
There is a bug in the 20140505 firmware that can corrupt the settings file. The corrupted settings file can cause these reboot loops. If the settings file has been corrupted and is backed up and the applied to a new firmware flash, you get the same. The problem seems to be coming from running the Software upgrade in the Software management settings page.

The current betas has a fix for the cause of the problem in Software upgrade and the reading of the settings file has been made more robust.

My only suggestion is to extract the settings file from enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz on the T3 using:

Code: Select all

cd /media/hdd/backup
tar xf enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz etc/enigma2/settings
then examine the saved settings file with:

Code: Select all

less etc/enigma2/settings
If the problem is caused by the settings file being corrupt, you'll see a bunch of HTML in the settings file.

If that's the problem, it can be fixed, and I can post instructions on how to repair it if it is in fact the cause.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Tue May 13, 2014 20:27

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is a bit above my skill level. I will say that when trying to restore, I do seem to recall seeing some HTML in the files, definitely more on the screen than in how to video. Having said that, I have not been anywhere near the software upgrade in software management page.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 13, 2014 22:57

Buffy71 wrote:... when trying to restore, I do seem to recall seeing some HTML in the files, definitely more on the screen than in how to video. ...
Even with the HTML in the settings file, I wouldn't expect to see it in the restore screen.

Are you able (and willing) to use FTP to copy the backup file off the T3 and post it here?

If you have set up access to network shares or other services that require a username/password, those details will be in the backed up settings files, so it's probably better not to post the backed up settings on the forum.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Wed May 14, 2014 14:42

Just want to know if my unit is OK. As per the attached image the backup process does not move from this window until I click OK, then I get the "done" popup with a timer countdown of around 8 seconds. Is this correct? In the video I didn't see the demonstrator mention or click the OK button........
Attachments
x1_0_1_221_221_1010_EEEE0000_0_0_0.jpg
Sorry about the background of Parliament!
x1_0_1_221_221_1010_EEEE0000_0_0_0.jpg (35.51 KiB) Viewed 10102 times
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Krusty
Master

Post by Krusty » Wed May 14, 2014 15:56

prl wrote:There is a bug in the 20140505 firmware that can corrupt the settings file. The corrupted settings file can cause these reboot loops. If the settings file has been corrupted and is backed up and the applied to a new firmware flash, you get the same. The problem seems to be coming from running the Software upgrade in the Software management settings page.
Glad this has been confirmed as a known bug, there seems to be major issues with backups as they constantly appear to corrupt. I have had to re-flash over 20 times & EVERY time I backup but then yet again another crash & on restore the backup is cactus. Countless times I have had to start the whole configuration over & over! I too have never been anywhere near the software upgrade in software management page. Hopefully new firmware will be available soon?

Setting up shares causes frequent crashes with re-boots.

Wiz HQ
Site Admin

Post by Wiz HQ » Wed May 14, 2014 16:44

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the confusion, the video was shot on a new Beta firmware so that is probably why it is working, we will have a new firmware image out by the end of the week at this stage.

Wiz HQ
Regards,

Wiz HQ
Forum Admin

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Wed May 14, 2014 17:27

prl wrote: Are you able (and willing) to use FTP to copy the backup file off the T3 and post it here?
Have copied backup to NAS (i think), can you tell me how to PM it to you?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed May 14, 2014 17:35

Buffy71 wrote:...
I've PM'd you with contact details.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Wed May 14, 2014 17:49

prl wrote:
Buffy71 wrote:...
I've PM'd you with contact details.
Sent.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed May 14, 2014 18:49

Krusty wrote:... . Hopefully new firmware will be available soon? ...
There is a beta currently under test. I won't speculate on when there will be a public release.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sat May 17, 2014 12:39

When I restored my settings yesterday after upgrading the firmware, all seemed ok, except the epgrefresh plugin wasn't there any more. Is this normal? If so, which folder or file do I need to include to keep the plugins I install or remove?

Blonk

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 17, 2014 12:54

blonk wrote:When I restored my settings yesterday after upgrading the firmware, all seemed ok, except the epgrefresh plugin wasn't there any more. Is this normal? If so, which folder or file do I need to include to keep the plugins I install or remove?

Blonk
Save settings doesn't save plugins, unfortunately.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat May 17, 2014 13:24

When you perform an online update (in the future), your plugins will stay as they are or get updated, if there are updates available.

A USB based firmware update will get you to a clean "from the factory" state. It is also possible to place plugin packages onto a USB drive. When you plug in the USB drive with plugin packages, you will be given the option to install those plugins. It is possible to use the same USB drive for both firmware upgrades and plugin installation, so you could infact have une USB drive that does an upgrade and re-install of your favourite plugins.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sat May 17, 2014 13:30

With the on-line update procedure will one have to stand by the unit waiting to press the panel OK button or will the remote work or, as was mentioned in another post, renaming noforce to force be in operation????
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat May 17, 2014 13:32

peteru wrote:A USB based firmware update will get you to a clean "from the factory" state. It is also possible to place plugin packages onto a USB drive. When you plug in the USB drive with plugin packages, you will be given the option to install those plugins. It is possible to use the same USB drive for both firmware upgrades and plugin installation, so you could infact have une USB drive that does an upgrade and re-install of your favourite plugins.
Could you please describe the best way of setting that up, Peter?

I am sure it would be useful for many people.
Cheers
Gully

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat May 17, 2014 13:38

netmask wrote:With the on-line update procedure will one have to stand by the unit waiting to press the panel OK button or will the remote work or, as was mentioned in another post, renaming noforce to force be in operation????
The online update will download and install individual updated packages into the flash, pretty much the same way plugins are installed. It is not a full reflash of the entire firmware.

Blog.

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sat May 17, 2014 13:58

prl wrote:
blonk wrote:When I restored my settings yesterday after upgrading the firmware, all seemed ok, except the epgrefresh plugin wasn't there any more. Is this normal? If so, which folder or file do I need to include to keep the plugins I install or remove?

Blonk
Save settings doesn't save plugins, unfortunately.
I was hoping they may have been stored in a folder or file that can be selected in the select folders option in the software update section of the menus I've had a quick flick through but couldn't see anything that was obviously plugins. Good to know the network update will keep them intact.

Blonk

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun May 18, 2014 00:45

I think that a plugin to backup a set of packages to a USB drive (so that you can restore them later) would be a great addition. If there isn't one already, it would be a great project for an interested T3 hacker 8)

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 18, 2014 13:14

Buffy71 wrote:Just followed this to the letter (3 times), and after restoring from factory reset as shown, the unit just does a continuous boot loop, forcing a complete re flash of firmware.
Buffy71 sent me a copy of the settings backup file, and the problem appears to have been, as I suspected, corruption of the /etc/enigma2/settings file.

It looked like this:
config.gmenu.ext_sel_id_mainmenu_music=-1
config.gmenu.ext_sel_id_mainmenu_source=-1
config.softwareupdate.checktimer=1
config.softwareupdate.updateisunstable=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>404 Not Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Not Found</h1>
<p>The requested URL /feeds/3.0/status was not found on this server.</p>
<p>Additionally, a 404 Not Found
error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.</p>
</body></html>

config.epg.cachesavesched=true
config.epg.cachesavetimer=24

The bit in red should just be a number, like:
config.softwareupdate.updateisunstable=1

The 20140513 firmware should deal with this problem in two ways: it should prevent that HTML data in red from getting into the settings file in the first place, and it should (and as I found, does) handle the error more cleanly. Even settings after the error were correctly set in the user interface.

I was going to double check by reverting to firmware 20140505, but Buffy71 PM'd to say that the settings had all been redone manually in 20140513.

I'm pretty sure that the settings file would have crashed 20140505; I've had exactly the same corruption in a settings file myself.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

michaelp2005
Apprentice

Post by michaelp2005 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 16:56

I have a barebones T2. Can someone tell me how I could back up my settings to a usb thumb drive? (to use after a f/w update)

Thanks

Michael
T3, T2 & H1

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Nov 14, 2015 17:43

michaelp2005 wrote:I have a barebones T2. Can someone tell me how I could back up my settings to a usb thumb drive? (to use after a f/w update)
First insert your USB stick.

Go into:
Setup->Plugins->Plugin Browser->Software management->Advanced options->Select backup location

You can then select the USB stick as a backup destination.

You may then backup your settings in the usual manner via:
Setup->Software manager->Create backup

When you re-flash your firmware, just go through the setup wizard as if this was a new installation.

When the T2 is back up and running, insert the USB stick with the backed up settings.

Setup->Plugins->Plugin Browser->Software management->Advanced options->Select backup location

You can then select the USB stick as a backup/restore destination.

Then you should be able to do a restore via the usual method:
Setup->Software manager->Restore backup
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

michaelp2005
Apprentice

Post by michaelp2005 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 21:40

Perfect, many thanks.

Michael
T3, T2 & H1

csutak40
Master

Post by csutak40 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 00:14

I have a question.
Possibly it has been asked and answered many times, but I can't find it, so I apologise, if it has.

A few things... Up till now I just used the backup button, never giving it much thought. Last night I updated my T2, did a backup, which only took a few seconds
Today, I went to update my T4 but had a better look
Firstly, I noticed that there is an option to "configure" backups. So, I had a look. There was an option to choose some or all the options listed.
I then came here to see if I could find a post about what should be backed up, but couldn't find anything. The video on the top of this thread says nothing about configuring it, just says to create a backup, which, on the video, only takes a few seconds.
So, I chose everything and ran a backup. It took a long time... I then started wondering as to where this was backing up to.
Reading this thread, I found that there is a place to "Select backup location" so I went there and found these choices:
1. T4 (Internal HDD)
2. MovieBEYONWIZT2
3. DLNA
Looks to me I am backing up to option 1, which may be a worry as it may be taking up precious space on my T4's HDD
So, i now have a few questions...
  • Should I have left well enough alone and not configure backups? If I should configure it, does everything need to be ticked? Or, more to the point, what should be ticked?
    Embarrassing question, but what is DLNA? Would that be my computer's HDD? I would definitely prefer to backup to there. Would be quicker than to do it to a USB stick
    If my backup is an overkill and/or if it is taking up space on the T4's HDD where exactly do I find it to remove it?
Cheers,
Judy

Beyonwiz V2 & T2
NetComm NF18ACV
D-Link NAS drives
HauppaugeTV HVR-2210
TV: Samsung UA55MU7000W
TV: Sharp Aquos LC37PD5X
TV: Sony KDL-46EX520
Panasonic DMR ES35V

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Mar 09, 2019 00:48

csutak40 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 00:14
So, i now have a few questions...
  • Should I have left well enough alone and not configure backups?
You should DEFINITELY have left it alone.
csutak40 wrote:
If I should configure it, does everything need to be ticked? Or, more to the point, what should be ticked?
No, only a few things need to be ticked.
Unfortunately undoing the damage is a bit tricky now.

You are best off finding that original backup you did and restoring that one.
You need to go into software management and find the advanced restore option in there to select an older backup file.

MENU->Setup->Plugins->Plugin browser->Software management->Advanced options->Advanced restore
(yea its buried deep)
csutak40 wrote:
Embarrassing question, but what is DLNA? Would that be my computer's HDD? I would definitely prefer to backup to there. Would be quicker than to do it to a USB stick
No, DLNA is a protocol for sharing and playing media files.
Your harddisk is called HDD, and the backups are already configured to go there.
csutak40 wrote:
If my backup is an overkill and/or if it is taking up space on the T4's HDD where exactly do I find it to remove it?[/list]
You definitely do not want to leave it as you have now otherwise you will mess up your system completely.
ie. If you try to restore EVERYTHING after you have updated, then you will be trying to overwrite newer files in your operating system...very bad idea.

csutak40
Master

Post by csutak40 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 00:58

Oh dear! Should have asked BEFORE touching it!
Cheers,
Judy

Beyonwiz V2 & T2
NetComm NF18ACV
D-Link NAS drives
HauppaugeTV HVR-2210
Panasonic DMR ES35V

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Mar 09, 2019 01:02

Oh, I forgot to mention.

When you restore that original backup that you did, you should then perform another setting backup straight away.

It should result in a short duration backup.
That way, you will know that the last backup you did was a "good" one.

It is always good practice to perform a backup every now and again. It helps if you ever need to unexpectedly perform a USB upgrade. If you have a recent backup, then on first boot, the Wiz will ask if you want to restore the settings backup, and then you should be up and running again with all your old look-and-feel intact. If you backed up VERY recently, then all your recent timers will still be there too :)

csutak40
Master

Post by csutak40 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 01:16

OK, before I stuff up further, I want to make sure I understand you correctly
MrQuade wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 00:48

No, only a few things need to be ticked.
Which ones?
MrQuade wrote:
Unfortunately undoing the damage is a bit tricky now.

You are best off finding that original backup you did and restoring that one.
You need to go into software management and find the advanced restore option in there to select an older backup file.

MENU->Setup->Plugins->Plugin browser->Software management->Advanced options->Advanced restore
(yea its buried deep)
Just want to get my mind around this... To clarify, I haven't restored anything, just made a backup. So, I don't quite understand why I need to run a restore? I found the restore files under Advanced Restore, so couldn't I just delete the one that I just made in error, then untick all the stuff I ticked and run another backup? (I haven't yet run the update either)
I am not trying to be argumentative (in case that is what you think I'm doing) just want to make sure we don't misunderstand each other :-)
csutak40 wrote:
MrQuade wrote:
No, DLNA is a protocol for sharing and playing media files.
Your harddisk is called HDD, and the backups are already configured to go there.
I thought it was talking about the HDD in the Wiz, as opposed to the one in my PC
csutak40 wrote:
If my backup is an overkill and/or if it is taking up space on the T4's HDD where exactly do I find it to remove it?[/list]
MrQuade wrote:
You definitely do not want to leave it as you have now otherwise you will mess up your system completely.
ie. If you try to restore EVERYTHING after you have updated, then you will be trying to overwrite newer files in your operating system...very bad idea.
So, I am wondering why I just couldn't delete that backup and make a correct one?
Cheers,
Judy

Beyonwiz V2 & T2
NetComm NF18ACV
D-Link NAS drives
HauppaugeTV HVR-2210
Panasonic DMR ES35V

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Mar 09, 2019 01:42

csutak40 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 01:16
Which ones?
The ones that were ticked prior to you ticking everything.

It is harder to list them than to just fix it by restoring the old backup.
csutak40 wrote:
Just want to get my mind around this... To clarify, I haven't restored anything, just made a backup. So, I don't quite understand why I need to run a restore?
The original backup that you perfromed had the proper backup settings ticked. By restoring that older good backup, you will fix the mess up.
csutak40 wrote:
I found the restore files under Advanced Restore, so couldn't I just delete the one that I just made in error, then untick all the stuff I ticked and run another backup? (I haven't yet run the update either)
I am not trying to be argumentative (in case that is what you think I'm doing) just want to make sure we don't misunderstand each other :-)
You could delete the big backup file, but your backup settings would still be stuffed up.
You need to restore the smaller backup file so your settings are fixed.
csutak40 wrote:
I thought it was talking about the HDD in the Wiz, as opposed to the one in my PC
Correct.
The default backup location is HDD which is your Wiz's harddisk.
csutak40 wrote:
It's not using a massive amount of space relative to the size of your harddisk. You can delete it if you want though.
You can go into the Sources/Files and go to HDD/backup, and delete the backup file that is a couple hundred meg in size.
MrQuade wrote:
So, I am wondering why I just couldn't delete that backup and make a correct one?
As before, any new backup you make now will make the broken large backup file again. You need to restore your old settings so that the Wiz can make a good small backup file.

csutak40
Master

Post by csutak40 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 06:47

MrQuade wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 01:42
csutak40 wrote:
Which ones?
The ones that were ticked prior to you ticking everything.

It is harder to list them than to just fix it by restoring the old backup.
Nothing was ticked.
Oh... I just opened it. None of the folders were ticked, I ticked all of them, (I didn't tick inside the folders, presuming that ticking the folder would automatically include all its contents) but now I opened the first one: etc, and inside the folder only enigma2 is ticked. Would that have been there before? Looking in the other folders I get mixed results...
Now I understand why you say to restore the old backup :-)

Thank you for your patience. :D

Now I have a new question. I just checked the T2, that only has one backup file on the system, called enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz
The reason I checked to see what was there, is because I have 3 on the T4
1_0_1_313_310_3202_EEEE0000_0_0_0.jpg
1_0_1_313_310_3202_EEEE0000_0_0_0.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 5531 times
Now the last update I did (which was probably in December - I somehow missed the April one) we weren't supposed to do a restore after the upgrade, so I am not sure what the one dated December would be. Can't remember if I did a backup after I finished the upgrade or not.
Yesterday, I ran the backup, after I did all the ticking, then when I nearly ran the update, I clicked on "back up current settings" which caused it to do that long backup again.
So, I am not sure which backup to restore to, as I have no idea whether I did a backup AFTER my last update or before. I am presuming that the two others are the ones I ran yesterday, but I am a bit worried about what the one dated December has, it is very likely that it is from before the update.
I have now learned another lesson... From now on, I will always do a backup immediately after I've ran an update :oops:
Cheers,
Judy

Beyonwiz V2 & T2
NetComm NF18ACV
D-Link NAS drives
HauppaugeTV HVR-2210
Panasonic DMR ES35V

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Mar 09, 2019 09:07

The one without the date is the most recent one and should be the large bad one.

The most recent dated one should be the first one you made yesterday and is the good one.

You can check that by having a look at the file size through the File commander (Sources / files).
You need to navigate to /HDD/backup

When a new settings backup operation is initiated, the last backup file gets renamed with a date and the new backup file is then created.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 09, 2019 09:21

csutak40 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 06:47
From now on, I will always do a backup immediately after I've ran an update :oops:

Much better to do it immediately before the update, especially a USB update.

I'd suggest removing the ability to select which files to put in the backup settings, but I use the feature myself :D
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “FAQs, Tips & How to Guides”