Antenna Setup for T3

Moderators: Gully, peteru

craigh
Wizard

Antenna Setup for T3

Post by craigh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 14:09

My DP series Beyonwiz always worked fine on my existing TV signal. It comes into the house and is split 2 ways.

However the DP series only has only 2 tuners not 4 like the T3 so the signal has to be shared between all 4 and degradation will occur as you get to the last one.

If your signal is great then using the loop cables provided will be all you need.

What I found in my case was the signal was too low by the time it got to the USB tuner "D".

The answer was simple.

A trip to Jaycar and got one of the 4 way indoor powered splitters.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LT3284

Then each tuner gets the same signal strength and you can grab a loop through to TV or other equipment from any of the signal out connectors.

This way I get reliable recording on all tuners.
Craig
T4 + Kodi + Foxtel IQ2 > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Panasonic Plasma
T2 + Kodi Player > Pioneer Plasma
5 x Kodi + Enigma Plugin > LCD TV's
Retired - S1, P1, P1, FLV1, H1, H1
Foxtel IQ3 > Digi-MOD RL-DM1102 - SD DTV RF Modulator > All TV's
Remotes - Pronto TSU9400's + TSU7500's

Krusty
Master

Re: Antenna Setup for T3

Post by Krusty » Wed Apr 23, 2014 14:11

Craig, great insight! It's been said before that if you use the additional USB tuner then you have no loop through for your TV so this is a good option since a splitter in such a case is mandatory & powered probably the best option over passive! :wink:

dumbthumbs
Apprentice

Post by dumbthumbs » Wed May 07, 2014 18:19

I liked this idea Craig so I went to Jaycar, bought the bits, made up all the necessary leads and .......

Total rubbish signal! With my native signal in I am getting 99% signal and 99% quality on first tuner, down to about 99% signal, 90% quality on 3rd tuner. Tuner 4 is no good.

With the Jaycar splitter installed and powered up, the picture is rubbish. signal strength is 99% and quality is 55% on all outputs. Even directly to the TV it is crap.

So either I have a faulty unit, or this splitter is not very good unless conditions are right for it.

craigh
Wizard

Post by craigh » Wed May 07, 2014 18:59

dumbthumbs wrote:I liked this idea Craig so I went to Jaycar, bought the bits, made up all the necessary leads and .......

Total rubbish signal! With my native signal in I am getting 99% signal and 99% quality on first tuner, down to about 99% signal, 90% quality on 3rd tuner. Tuner 4 is no good.

With the Jaycar splitter installed and powered up, the picture is rubbish. signal strength is 99% and quality is 55% on all outputs. Even directly to the TV it is crap.

So either I have a faulty unit, or this splitter is not very good unless conditions are right for it.
I wonder if you have a much stronger signal to start with than I do and as a result your over driving it.

Another person said they got the jaycar 4 way splitter (not powered) as their base signal was strong and after splitting all 4 tuners still got a good signal.
Craig
T4 + Kodi + Foxtel IQ2 > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Panasonic Plasma
T2 + Kodi Player > Pioneer Plasma
5 x Kodi + Enigma Plugin > LCD TV's
Retired - S1, P1, P1, FLV1, H1, H1
Foxtel IQ3 > Digi-MOD RL-DM1102 - SD DTV RF Modulator > All TV's
Remotes - Pronto TSU9400's + TSU7500's

Return to “FAQs, Tips & How to Guides”