Torrents or am I crazy for asking this time around?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

jawbraeka2
Apprentice

Torrents or am I crazy for asking this time around?

Post by jawbraeka2 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 01:13

I believe torrents will be at home on this box.. Tell me I'm crazy.

Would love to see an app that can set timers via smart phones (android and apple)

Also modular upgrades such as chip sets and possibly USB2 to USB3 hardware upgrades and 100mb to gigabit upgrades..

Also allow for a VPN proxy setup in settings. On a note, if it does have the Google store, Hola better internet is a great free VPN that allows access to the USA and Netflix will be available as well as many other popular us based media services.

If this is android based, Google play store is an absolute must.. ABSOLUTE.

please allow the hardware to be altered under warranty so people can create hacks and tweaks for this device.. I can see this version of beyonwiz lighting a fire under the htpc community.

One last thing, please advertise this thing on TV... You want to spread the word about this in Australia and take over TiVo cause that is shite.. 2nd to that, even if you have to advertise with free view, have the option to "unlock" in the next firmware update... As I see it people are allowed to unlock their mobile phones to different mobile networks as well as have unlocked them to work overseas so why not unlock your PVR to be "free-view free".

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: Torrents or am I crazy for asking this time around?

Post by peteru » Sun Mar 23, 2014 02:04

jawbraeka2 wrote:If this is android based
It's not.

Torrents are a possibility.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

seemack

Post by seemack » Sun Mar 23, 2014 08:10

What Linux system is it running?
If it can use ipkg packages, or similar to OpenWrt opkg packages then all sorts of things are possible.
eg transmission, VPN, rsnapshot etc even if they are run from the cmd interface initial.

This would be based on the ability to get root access.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:57

seemack wrote:What Linux system is it running?
If it can use ipkg packages, or similar to OpenWrt opkg packages then all sorts of things are possible.
eg transmission, VPN, rsnapshot etc even if they are run from the cmd interface initial.

This would be based on the ability to get root access.
Linux, OE, C/C++, Python, XML and shell scripts. Root access is available. opkg is used for software management and feeds can be added. Transmission client, ctorrent and rtorrent are available, but completely untested.

This is all in the "if you have the skills, you can make the T3 into anything you like" category. Heck, a T3 doesn't even have to be your PVR. It can just be a NAS and tuner/stream server and you can use HDMI dongles as the front ends to it.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

seemack

Post by seemack » Sun Mar 23, 2014 14:54

This is all in the "if you have the skills, you can make the T3 into anything you like" category.
Thanks for that - still going through all the discussion topics. I had better keep reading.
Heck, a T3 doesn't even have to be your PVR. It can just be a NAS and tuner/stream server and you can use HDMI dongles as the front ends to it.
Just what I was hoping for - this sounds like a great addition for my DP-P2.

Return to “Pre-release Discussion”