DP-S1 Installing new HDD

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Tam
Apprentice

DP-S1 Installing new HDD

Post by Tam » Mon Sep 29, 2014 19:34

I have a DP-S1 (since it came out) and it has been a great box. I have recently had issues with my HDD so I thought I'd replace it.

I have bought a WD caviar green 500GB and a SATA to IDE converter. I have now plugged these in and all looks fine. That is: the LED lights on the converter board come on and I can hear the hard drive "spin up" and the heads move when I power on the S1.

BUT... as it goes through it's power up the front panel reads "loading", then fIrmware "01.03.350" then "FAIL-FIND HDD" then "Start" then "P-HDMI AUTO" then "Failure" then the normal channel display.

The TV briefly displays the message "No HDD is connected to the PVR" then shows the current channel and works normally (without HDD stuff offcourse).

I have double checked the cables and connections. everything seems OK.

I can't access any of the HDD setting menu (to try to format it)

What am I missing? Do I need to preformat the drive before I install it?

Thanks in advance

Chuckles
Master

Re: DP-S1 Installing new HDD

Post by Chuckles » Mon Sep 29, 2014 19:49

An IDE drive interface supports two hard drives on the same cable (bus), known as Master (0) and Slave (1).

Many SATA to IDE convertors will be configured, by default, to pass through the drive as the Slave device on the IDE bus, whilst the Beyonwiz is looking for the Master.

Is there a switch or jumper on your convertor to change from Slave (1) to Master (0)?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Sep 29, 2014 21:21

Unless you had your power supply refurbished in the last year or two, I would start there. It's quite possible that nothing will work properly if the power supply is out of spec. Forum member Warkus has a good reputation for fixing the power supplies.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Tam
Apprentice

Post by Tam » Mon Sep 29, 2014 21:52

Thanks for the replies

There is a jumper on the adaptor but it is not labelled (and so far I can't find any documentation on it).

I have tried with both jumper on and off - no difference.

As for power supply - this failed a couple of years ago and was serviced by beyonwiz. I don't 'think' it's that - as I said power lights on and I can hear it spin up, etc.

warkus
Guru

Post by warkus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:38

IF you purchased a cheap adaptor off ebay or similar, chances are it will not work in the S1, 99.9% of the adaptors available on ebay and other places are NOT compatible with the S1.

This incompatibility is generally not because of the S1 itself, its because of the DVD drive. You will likely find that if you remove the DATA cable (not power) from the back of the DVD drive so that only the adaptor (HDD) and mainboard are connected to the data cable, it will likely work, but again to varying degrees of compatibility depending on the adaptor you have.

There are very few adaptors that are fully compatible with the S1 including its DVD drive.

Some work but corrupt data
Some wont work at all if DVD is connected in the loop
Some dont work regardless

A VERY SMALL percentage work sweet with everything connected. It does not sound like the one you have is one of these.

Mark
Beyonwiz fixer-up-erer-er-er-er

PLANT
Master

Post by PLANT » Sat May 28, 2022 04:22

Pictures or a YouTube video would be welcome.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 28, 2022 12:20

PLANT wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 04:22
Pictures or a YouTube video would be welcome.

See my reply to your other post.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”