March firmware update query...

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

arthurbach4
Master

March firmware update query...

Post by arthurbach4 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 00:25

So the March firmware update actually caught me a little unawares.

All I really know about it is gleaned from the odd post here and there so I was wondering if someone would mind telling me how stable it is etc.

I have the Dec '07 update and have been very happy with it. I understand one of the main features of the March update is the bookmarking feature which would obviously be great.

I don't use the Wiz for music, photos, nor do I have it networked if that makes a difference.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Apr 04, 2008 01:50

Hi Arthurbach4,

The firmware is the most stable version yet. The issues relate to time settings and time offsets. These issues can play havock with timers and the EPG. These newly created issues should be resolved within the next few weeks when the next firmware update will become available.

Regards,
Ian.

jezza
Apprentice

Post by jezza » Fri Apr 04, 2008 06:39

So on the next update, are we confident that it will appear on the suggested date?
I am happy to update but find re-entering all timers a bit of a pain (unless this has changed) each time you do a update.

cheers
jezza

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Apr 04, 2008 08:58

Hi Jezza,
jezza wrote:So on the next update, are we confident that it will appear on the suggested date?
The last update appeared when promised.
jezza wrote:I am happy to update but find re-entering all timers a bit of a pain (unless this has changed) each time you do a update.
Most updates can be applied without need to reset the unit in any way. Usually you don't need to reformat the disk, recreate timers or rescan channels.

Please check out the FAQ topic on updating firmware for more information.

Regards,
Ian.

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Fri Apr 04, 2008 09:10

arthurbach4 wrote:?. so I was wondering if someone would mind telling me how stable it is etc.
?.
The only stability issue I had during the 2 days I was running 01.05.215 was here, but I put this down to WizPNP being enabled. Two days weren?t long enough to come to any conclusion (now back on 01.05.195 due to time issues), but for me it didn?t appear to be any less stable than 01.05.195 f/w.
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

fastcars
Apprentice

Post by fastcars » Fri Apr 04, 2008 20:34

IanSav wrote:Hi Arthurbach4,

The firmware is the most stable version yet. The issues relate to time settings and time offsets. These issues can play havock with timers and the EPG. These newly created issues should be resolved within the next few weeks when the next firmware update will become available.

Regards,
Ian.

Your kidding aren't you, with 215 firmware I had constant audio "pops" and video pixelation with shows that were recorded.
Not to mention the constant "check HDD" messages appearing after I changed channels.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Apr 04, 2008 21:21

Hi Fastcars,
fastcars wrote:Your kidding aren't you, with 215 firmware I had constant audio "pops" and video pixelation with shows that were recorded.
Not to mention the constant "check HDD" messages appearing after I changed channels.
No I am not kidding. How is your reception? It sounds to me like you have some serious reception/antenna/cable type issues.

Regards,
Ian.

jonesboy
Apprentice

Post by jonesboy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 22:19

i have to agree with fastcars. because my timers for the week were done i changed to f/w 215. although i havent had the hdd issue on 215 i have had the picture and sound distortion while time shifting. ive since reverted to 197 (for the second time from 215). problem solved. just to note that my reception, which was professionally installed, has had no and i mean no issues on 197. they were there on 144 ( i think it was 144) and are there on 215

Bruiser333
Master

Post by Bruiser333 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 22:24

Hi Ian,

I'm wondering in what areas stability has been improved? I have found .197 to be quite stable, apart with some issues with navigation during playback of non BW material.

Cheers,

Bruiser

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:35

Hi Bruiser,
Bruiser333 wrote:I'm wondering in what areas stability has been improved? I have found .197 to be quite stable, apart with some issues with navigation during playback of non BW material.
There is a list of reliability improvements listed in the 01.05.215 release notes.

Regards,
Ian.

Bruiser333
Master

Post by Bruiser333 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 13:26

Thanks Ian,

I had read that previously; there's only a few items I would classify as related to stability, none of which I had experienced anyway (although difficult to tell from the descriptions). For me, .197 is fairly reliable; I will try .215 again tomorrow after DST changes and hopefully the issues with that release will no longer be present.

Cheers,

Bruce

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Apr 05, 2008 13:35

Hi Bruce,
Bruiser333 wrote:I had read that previously; there's only a few items I would classify as related to stability, none of which I had experienced anyway (although difficult to tell from the descriptions). For me, .197 is fairly reliable; I will try .215 again tomorrow after DST changes and hopefully the issues with that release will no longer be present.
If you are in no real hurry then I would suggest that you wait for the new firmware, it shouldn't be long.

I would also advise caution with regard to the ending of DST tonight. Just because DST ends tonight does not mean that the TV stations are suddenly going to get the time on their transmissions correct. Look at the mess they caused last week! I will be waiting until about mid week before I move back to AUTO time on my Beyonwiz.

Regards,
Ian.

fastcars
Apprentice

Post by fastcars » Sat Apr 05, 2008 22:44

IanSav wrote:Hi Fastcars,
fastcars wrote:Your kidding aren't you, with 215 firmware I had constant audio "pops" and video pixelation with shows that were recorded.
No I am not kidding. How is your reception? It sounds to me like you have some serious reception/antenna/cable type issues.

Regards,
Ian.
Reception is excellent as I have had no problems with my Toppy for the last 3 years, and also with the previous beyonwiz firmware.

The strange thing that occurred with the 215 firmware was that whilst I was watching a program that I was simultaneously recording there were no issues with both the audio and picture.

However, when I played back what I was watching the previously mentioned issues occurred.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:03

Hi Fastcars,
fastcars wrote:Reception is excellent as I have had no problems with my Toppy for the last 3 years, and also with the previous beyonwiz firmware.

The strange thing that occurred with the 215 firmware was that whilst I was watching a program that I was simultaneously recording there were no issues with both the audio and picture.

However, when I played back what I was watching the previously mentioned issues occurred.
Just to confirm, you are saying that you were watching a show at the same time you were recording it. The live version you watched was *perfect* but the recording was full of glitches and dropouts?

Which Beyonwiz model do you have? Can you please detail the relevant settings (particularly of the WizPNP) in your Beyonwiz. Also describe any and all things your unit was doing at the time of the glitches. Was your Beyonwiz connected to any USB drives or networks at that time? Were any file transfers in progress?

Regards,
Ian.

logger
Master

Post by logger » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:13

fastcars wrote:

Regards,
Ian.
Your kidding aren't you, with 215 firmware I had constant audio "pops" and video pixelation with shows that were recorded.
Fastcars,
I had pretty much the same experience as you with 215 on my S1. Constant "check HDD" messages and the "pops" in recordings. My signal strength is excellent (North shore Sydney about 2km from TV towers) and I never had them with previous firmwares. Of the 4 firmwares I have used in the past 6 months this is the only one I have had to remove becuase in all practical senses it renders my unit unusable. So for me Stable it is not. Not to mention the EPG/Ice issues.

I am really hoping the next firmware addresses the "check HDD" messages. In the mean time I am happy to chug along with 195.

BTW I have a wired LAN connection. No network transfers going on. Wiz Client/Server both disabled for the time being. DHCP enabled.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:37

Very strange, certainly not my experience with the f/w?
Tony

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:44

Hi,

I am using 01.05.215 and I am not seeing anything like this. (In fact, apart from the time issues already mentioned, I am having no issues with this firmware.)

Regards,
Ian.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:07

Given most of you say that live it is ok, and it is merely the recordings that are the problem, and that you say it is asking to check the HDD all the time, I have to wonder if you formatted the HDD from the original F/W version you were running? THere were a few changes many months ago that warranted a HDD format for that f/w upgrade to achieve proper performance, and I have to wonder if 215 is more sensitive to the older format and is the reason for your woes vs others that are having no dramas apart from time setting ones and/or ice.
It certainly sounds nothing like a reception problem, and a lot more like a HDD issue.
Tony

Half Round
Master

Post by Half Round » Sun Apr 06, 2008 13:23

logger wrote:
fastcars wrote:

Regards,
Ian.
Fastcars,
I had pretty much the same experience as you with 215 on my S1. Constant "check HDD" messages and the "pops" in recordings. My signal strength is excellent (North shore Sydney about 2km from TV towers) and I never had them with previous firmwares. Of the 4 firmwares I have used in the past 6 months this is the only one I have had to remove becuase in all practical senses it renders my unit unusable. So for me Stable it is not. Not to mention the EPG/Ice issues.

I am really hoping the next firmware addresses the "check HDD" messages. In the mean time I am happy to chug along with 195.

BTW I have a wired LAN connection. No network transfers going on. Wiz Client/Server both disabled for the time being. DHCP enabled.
Hi All,
Have just finished an experiment. I have experienced much the same as Fastcars and Logger.
Reloaded Mar f/w and formatted HD. Then watched in time shift 1 min behind. Again, as I have had before, there were audio glitches and pixelation at least every minute. On close inspection I believe these are related to 'level' problems. The audio was failing on sound peaks. As in loud noises and voice peaks. The video was pixelating on highlight or high contrast areas areas. One example, a large white dot ( covering 50% of the screen) was pixelated, but not the rest of the picture. Reloaded Dec f/w and formatted HD. No problems in 20 minutes. No LAN etc in use here. Antenna / signal are fine.

rupert
Apprentice

Post by rupert » Sun Apr 06, 2008 16:35

Hi
Since loading the latest firmware, I seem to be getting more blips and pops than previously. Also have had 3 timers fail this week where previously they have worked without issue. All 3 that failed recorded for about 5 secnds then stopped. I have good reception and loaded firmware as per recommended method.
Regards
Rupert
P1

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Apr 06, 2008 17:37

Rupert

Did you format the hard drive as Tony has pointed out?
Cheers
Gully

rupert
Apprentice

Post by rupert » Sun Apr 06, 2008 17:54

hi
No didn't try a hdd format as I will lose all my recordings and haven't had to do one previously. Have several recordings to watch or transfer to PC. Might wait for next fw or go back to the last one depending on how bad it gets. Notes say hdd format is rarely done?
Regards
Rupert
P1

fastcars
Apprentice

Post by fastcars » Sun Apr 06, 2008 19:46

IanSav wrote:Hi Fastcars,
fastcars wrote:Reception is excellent as I have had no problems with my Toppy for the last 3 years, and also with the previous beyonwiz firmware.

Just to confirm, you are saying that you were watching a show at the same time you were recording it. The live version you watched was *perfect* but the recording was full of glitches and dropouts?

Which Beyonwiz model do you have? Can you please detail the relevant settings (particularly of the WizPNP) in your Beyonwiz. Also describe any and all things your unit was doing at the time of the glitches. Was your Beyonwiz connected to any USB drives or networks at that time? Were any file transfers in progress?

Regards,
Ian.
Hi Ian,

I have a P1.
Yeah I was simultaneously watching the same show that I was recording.
I haven't as yet connected my P1 to my home network. Also there were no USB drives connected or file transfers in progress.

Hopefully this is just an issue with the 215 firmware, as I haven't had any issue with the 192 firmware.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Apr 06, 2008 20:51

rupert wrote:hi
No didn't try a hdd format as I will lose all my recordings and haven't had to do one previously. Have several recordings to watch or transfer to PC. Might wait for next fw or go back to the last one depending on how bad it gets. Notes say hdd format is rarely done?
Regards
Rupert
True but if you have never done one then chances are you did an earlier upgrade where it was needed without doing one so you are now seeing the consequences.

That's the theory.
Cheers
Gully

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Apr 07, 2008 00:49

Hi Rupert,
rupert wrote:No didn't try a hdd format as I will lose all my recordings and haven't had to do one previously. Have several recordings to watch or transfer to PC. Might wait for next fw or go back to the last one depending on how bad it gets. Notes say hdd format is rarely done?
I suspect your problems will now (or very shortly) disappear. I think you were seeing the bug in the clock that affects timers due to the DST issues. Now we are back to standard time I suspect that things should return to normal (as soon as *all* the TV stations fix their clocks which should happen later today).

Regards,
Ian.

diesel
Wizard

Post by diesel » Mon Apr 07, 2008 07:55

IanSav wrote:I suspect your problems will now (or very shortly) disappear. I think you were seeing the bug in the clock that affects timers due to the DST issues. Now we are back to standard time I suspect that things should return to normal (as soon as *all* the TV stations fix their clocks which should happen later today).

Regards,
Ian.
Ian, but does this mean the same will happen in 6 months time when we get DLS back again?

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 08:33

Yes, of course, but there will be a fix to the Wiz bug that caused the 1hour delta to the offset coming out in a matter of weeks.
Regards
Tony

logger
Master

Post by logger » Mon Apr 07, 2008 08:50

Gully wrote:Rupert

YES I did that way back straight after I realised the 205 was not playing properly. When the unnecessary "Check HDD" messages were driving me bonkers. Further my HDD is brand new.

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:37

logger wrote:
Gully wrote:Rupert

YES I did that way back straight after I realised the 205 was not playing properly. When the unnecessary "Check HDD" messages were driving me bonkers. Further my HDD is brand new.
Logger

Not sure why you are responding to my message (or shouting YES) when I clearly was responding to Rupert.
Cheers
Gully

logger
Master

Post by logger » Mon Apr 07, 2008 14:10

Essentially to point out that my experience has shown tonymy01's suggestion to format the HDD (that you quoted) does does NOT FIX the problem. As such I would not be recommending him to do so.

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Apr 07, 2008 14:27

logger wrote:Essentially to point out that my experience has shown tonymy01's suggestion to format the HDD (that you quoted) does does NOT FIX the problem. As such I would not be recommending him to do so.
Okay, I understand now.

It wasn't clear from the previous post.
Cheers
Gully

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”