What the WizOTT needs before you'd buy one

Android Smart TV Media Player

Moderators: Gully, peteru

What needs to be added to the WizOTT before you'd buy one?

Stream recordings from other Beyonwiz units.
59%
Schedule recordings for other Beyonwiz units.
No votes
Proof that firmware upgrades really will bring promised features.
12%
A coffee making facility.
No votes
Nothing will ever convince me to buy one.
29%

Total votes: 17

oster

What the WizOTT needs before you'd buy one

Post by oster » Fri Jul 29, 2011 13:43

I am bemused by the lack of enthusiasm for the WizOTT. I suspect it becasue there are a some key features missing.
A quick poll to gauge.

baobab68
Master

Post by baobab68 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 14:15

For me you need to have "Twin digital tuners" and "Quad recording" or else I can't answer the poll.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Jul 29, 2011 14:46

I'm not going to vote in this poll, but you should know that recent firmware upgrades have delivered an upgrade from Android 2.1 to Android 2.2.1

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Fri Jul 29, 2011 18:58

.....what needs to be added to the poll before I would vote? - the ability to select more than one option....... so I guess I won't be:
1) voting
2) buying a WizOTT in the near future :P

(but the coffee maker sounds like it is worth considering..... would it run on Java??)
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 19:09

baobab68 wrote:For me you need to have "Twin digital tuners" and "Quad recording" or else I can't answer the poll.
How about "ability to add USB tuners" up to some reasonable limit (more that two)?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

janilxx

Post by janilxx » Sat Jul 30, 2011 04:40

So is the lack of tuners the only real reason why you don't want to buy WizOTT or is there other real reasons? I suppose its too expensive even you can install many kind of applications into it, am I correct?

I suppose you can play Beyonwiz PVR files with this if you first move (and convert) them to some server. This could be made automatically e.g. every night.

I haven't tested playbacking Wiz files because I have plenty of other tasks to do at the moment, for example:
-Wire our house (insert LAN cables inside walls and over the insulation on ceiling)
-Get intranet working again, thanks for thunder for ruining everything
-Get new Topfield working (freezes every now and then and nothing seems to help)

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sat Jul 30, 2011 07:53

prl wrote:
baobab68 wrote:For me you need to have "Twin digital tuners" and "Quad recording" or else I can't answer the poll.
How about "ability to add USB tuners" up to some reasonable limit (more that two)?

The same argument comes up on the Popcorn forum to be able to add a couple of USB tuners and suitable timers software and considering you can install software on the internal disc or the internal USB stick it should be doable. The C200 has 4 USB ports plus one inside the box.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Jul 30, 2011 09:44

Hi Guys,

There is another way to attack the lack of tuners on *any* media player...

In the past I have mentioned that I am the owner of a HDHomeRun (Wikipedia) dual tuner device. This is a small box that has antenna and power inputs and a network connector for an output. This device sits on the network and serves television data streams to awaiting boxes.

The reason I mention this here and now is because recently I picked up a copy of DVBViewer. One of the elements of this software product is a server process that can sit on a computer and manages recordings and services without using the DVBViewer UI. One of the services offered is a UPnP Media Stream service. That is, this software, running on any computer on the local network, can connect to the HDHomeRun, tune into a channel, and then stream that channel to *any* UPnP media streaming appliance or device on the network. The channel selection is done via the media player UI. Thus any WizOTT, Popcorn Horn, Netgear, WD, or any other networked media streamer can suddenly acquire access to digital TV streams.

Janilxx: The HDHomeRun is designed in the USA while the DVBViewer is developed in Germany. Both are available around the world.

Regards,
Ian.

Raid
Master

Post by Raid » Sun Jul 31, 2011 08:03

T3-500GB
Panasonic TX-32LXD700A, Yamaha RX-A1060 & BD-A1060; Asus RT-N56U; QNAP TS-451/TS-410 NAS.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:40

Hi Raid,
Raid wrote:There are others on the market

http://www.xtreamer.net/xtreamer-prodigy-upgraded/
Correction: There are others *coming* onto the market.

While the Xtreamer Prodigy looks like a very advanced unit it still isn't available (yet). Also your post doesn't appear to address anything related to this thread.

I gather the drift of this thread was to ask what other capabilities are required to make the WizOTT a more attractive purchase. My post indicated one way to add a digital tuner capability to the WizOTT.

Regards,
Ian.

Rockets
Master

Post by Rockets » Sun Jul 31, 2011 23:30

Raid wrote:There are others on the market

http://www.xtreamer.net/xtreamer-prodigy-upgraded/
Owning a current Xtreamer all I can say is do your research on Xtreamer before you buy any of their products. mpcclub.com is a very good start. My Xtreamer preorder was nearly 3 months late. The first firmwares were woeful. And quite frankly don't believe anyhting they promise. I'm about to replace the damn thing.
Rockets
Beyonwiz T3 1TB - DP-P1
Denon 3312 - Bi-Amped Epos ELS 303 Floor Standers, Athena LSC50 Centre
Samsung UA50F5000 50" LCD
Foxtel IQ2, OpenELEC NUC, AppleTV4K

oster

Post by oster » Wed Aug 17, 2011 17:35

brianh wrote:.....what needs to be added to the poll before I would vote? - the ability to select more than one option....... so I guess I won't be:
1) voting
2) buying a WizOTT in the near future :P

(but the coffee maker sounds like it is worth considering..... would it run on Java??)
Sorry - I can't edit the poll but looks like the addition of tuners would improve its chances. However, the biggest feature missing seems to be the ability to stream from other Beyonwiz units. I can't imagine Beyonwiz will be able to compete in the bargain basement networked media player space. If they don't add value to their existing user-base, I think this product will fail dismally.

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Tue Sep 13, 2011 21:39

Hi,

I too think that there were a few options I would like to have seen on your choices, never mind.

It must be able to stream from a wizzer, without that it really lacks something special.
I however dont really need that as I can stream from my networked wizzers now and the wizzott will be connected to the big TV in the lounge beside a wizzer there.

What I really want is for the wizzer to play various format movie files without all the rigmarole. So, maybe the OTT is good to fill the gap? maybe, I haven't actually heard anyone say how good it is as a player of various movie files. I am seriously considering/planning for a NAS/media server system for my home network. Still kinda expensive for what I want so may just build one. So whatever I buy had better play nice with my movie collection which will be served up by the NAS.

Noted that the price has dropped to $149 now...a much better buy, but will it do what I want? Don't know. I am more tempted to add another wizzer to my network.

Cheers, Mick
V2 1TB SSD -> LG OLED C3 4K 48"; U4-1TB -> LG OLED C2 4K 65", Yamaha RX-V385 AV Receiver, Headphone Amp, Beyer DT-990 phones, Pioneer BDP-140; T2 1TB HDD -> Samsung UA43tu8000w Smart TV 43"; T3-2000 -> GVA G48tv15 48"; IceTV, GB LAN, NAS 3TB RAID1

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Wed Sep 14, 2011 21:32

IanSav wrote:Hi Guys,

The reason I mention this here and now is because recently I picked up a copy of DVBViewer. One of the elements of this software product is a server process that can sit on a computer and manages recordings and services without using the DVBViewer UI. One of the services offered is a UPnP Media Stream service.
Bloody brilliant, I have one and simply use it to record to a PC but I like the additional flexibility.

Rob

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:44

Hi,

I recently read a forum post by a SiliconDust staff member indicating that they were looking at adding a DLNA service into the HDHomeRun firmware. This would eliminate the need for a PC to reformat and rebroadcast the data stream. There was no time indication of when this may happen.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “WizOTT”