Anybody interested to try to change terrestrial parameters

Advanced Discussions on Programing for & Modifying Beyonwiz Products.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

janilxx

Anybody interested to try to change terrestrial parameters

Post by janilxx » Thu Oct 30, 2008 05:06

There is some differences between Finnish (European) and Australian DVB networks. As far as I have understood there is some differences between terrestrial parameters.

Would anyone be willing to try to find and change these parameters from firmware (if we are lucky they are in some kind of config file)?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Oct 30, 2008 08:39

Hi Jani,

I would love to help you but I don't have the knowledge, skills or access to the firmware to be of any assistance. Hopefully some of the guys here who have poked around the insides of their units may be able to help.

If people can get the unit working in other markets may help to ingrain a ground swell of support for Beyonwiz before its release. I am thinking along the line of the hacked TiVos that gained quite a following in Australia before TiVo officially came here.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 09:07

Hi, Jani. While I was posting my (hopefully more helpful) second reply to your question about terrestrial tuner parameters, I realised that at least some of the tuner parameters are in the svc.dat file. Unfortunately, though, I don't think that anyone has decoded the file enough to know what the tuner parameters table and some of the other parameters in the file do.

Also, I would hope that if all that was needed to enable the receiver on the Finnish models was to set some tuner parameters in svc.dat, Beyonwizwould have done that already.

Unfortunately, this project looks quite hard, because we don't know exactly what the scv.dat file contains, and we don't have data sheets for either the tuner in the Australian series, nor the tuner in the Finnish series.

The tuners are quite different, because the Australian model's tuner does not contain the demodulator (analog IF output), but the Finnish tuner includes the demodulator (8-bit digital output).

This means that my suggestion in the terrestrial tuner parameters topic is likely not to work, and may have some risk of damaging the tuner.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

janilxx

Post by janilxx » Thu Oct 30, 2008 21:17

IanSav wrote: If people can get the unit working in other markets may help to ingrain a ground swell of support for Beyonwiz before its release. I am thinking along the line of the hacked TiVos that gained quite a following in Australia before TiVo officially came here.
Scandinavian countries are using conax for pay channels and I believe it takes years before HD channels will be broadcasted free so that conax card is not needed.

So BW without conax support would be media center + SD PVR only because HD channels could not be watched or recorded.

I am using BW currently as a media center but it would be nice to be able to record SD channels also with it.

janilxx

Post by janilxx » Thu Oct 30, 2008 21:25

prl wrote:Hi, Jani. While I was posting my (hopefully more helpful) second reply to your question about terrestrial tuner parameters, I realised that at least some of the tuner parameters are in the svc.dat file. Unfortunately, though, I don't think that anyone has decoded the file enough to know what the tuner parameters table and some of the other parameters in the file do.

Also, I would hope that if all that was needed to enable the receiver on the Finnish models was to set some tuner parameters in svc.dat, Beyonwizwould have done that already.
BW has made some Finnish FWs and TV channels are visible with these FWs.
These FWs has bugs so I want to use newer FWs. Unfortunately only possibility is to use your FWs.

Here is the latest Finnish FW that I have got from BW.

Maybe this helps you :) ?

Let's continue this here and we can forget this another thread:
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2963

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 21:37

janilxx wrote:
prl wrote:...
Here is the latest Finnish FW that I have got from BW.

Maybe this helps you :) ?
Unfortunately, the distributed firmware will have an empty services table. If its format is different from the services table for Australian firmware it will be hard to decode.

I'll have a look at it on the weekend.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Nov 02, 2008 18:00

Jani, I've had a look at the default svc.dat table in the Finnish firmware and I've compared it with an Australian svc.dat table as it is after a service scan.

The tuner parameters parts of the two files are the same. The channel tables are similar in VHF, though the channel numbering is slightly different. The UHF part of the channel tables have the same format, but the channel frequencies and numbering are quite different.

I think that there is a small chance that an Australian svc.dat file might work in the Finnish firmware to avoid entering the service scan. The VHF channels in the Australian file will match channels broadcast in Finland. It doesn't look as though many Finnish UHF channels will match the Australian table. I have no idea what effect it will have on the Finnish Beyonwiz if it actually receives any signal on a channel that's in the Australian table.

As I said before, there is a significant chance that trying this might make your Beyonwiz unbootable. I can't rule out it doing hardware damage or preventing Firmware Recovery from working; I just know far too little about how the tuners are configured.

I'd be reluctant to try this on my Beyonwiz, but if you like want to try it, PM me an email address, I can send you an Australian svc.dat file.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

janilxx

Post by janilxx » Sun Nov 02, 2008 19:26

prl wrote: As I said before, there is a significant chance that trying this might make your Beyonwiz unbootable. I can't rule out it doing hardware damage or preventing Firmware Recovery from working; I just know far too little about how the tuners are configured.

I'd be reluctant to try this on my Beyonwiz
Thanks for investigating this.
I think I will use my BWs as media centers only.
However, I still have to find out some time and try to change sysid for my other prototype so that I could install new Australian FW into that device (see http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 1089#41089 )

And in fact it is not so big problem that service scan screen is visible every time BW is opened. It is easy to use file list remote button.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Nov 02, 2008 19:38

janilxx wrote:...
And in fact it is not so big problem that service scan screen is visible every time BW is opened. It is easy to use file list remote button.
OK. If you ever want to try an Australian svc.dat file (which should work as well as can be expected with the DP-S1 firmware you mentioned in the other topic), I'm happy to send you one.

Cheers,
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Software Developers”