WizMac - A native wizfx client for OS X (WIP)

Advanced Discussions on Programing for & Modifying Beyonwiz Products.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

efry
Master

WizMac - A native wizfx client for OS X (WIP)

Post by efry » Mon Mar 31, 2008 23:45

Hi Guys,

Here's a sneak peak at my latest Wiz project. A native wizfx client for apple OS X using cocoa.

At the moment it can connect to the wiz and gather the recording info. The next step is to implement file downloading. :)

Here's a screenshot from my wiz.

Eric

armiller45
Apprentice

Post by armiller45 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 06:13

Great work! As I'm also on a Mac I look forward to any software which is going to bring us up to speed in relation to our Windows cousins. I look forward to more info as it becomes available.

You mentioned this is your latest Wiz project - what are the others? Where can they be obtained?
BW DP P1 + LiDiC
BW to Sony LCD Bravia X via HDMI
Austar to LiDiC via S-Video
Intel iMac: 2 GHz/Core 2 Duo/1 GB Ram/Mac OS X 10.4

prl
Wizard God

Re: WizMac - A native wizfx client for OS X (WIP)

Post by prl » Tue Apr 01, 2008 08:18

efry wrote:Hi Guys,

Here's a sneak peak at my latest Wiz project. A native wizfx client for apple OS X using cocoa.

Looks great! Count me in as a Beta tester if you need one.

If it's any help, have a look at my Perl code in Beyonwiz::Recording::Recording for downloading recordings. There's a bit less GUI clutter in it, and it's a bit clearer how TS file transfer is supposed to be done than in the WizFX code. I haven't been able to work out how to get an accurate value for the total download size for the Beyonwiz recording copy style. Any ideas on that?

There's an error in one of the examples for TS file transfer in the protocol document. See near the end of this post.

Do you use WizPnP's M-SEARCH multicast for device discovery? The Host entry box suggests not. If you have got it working have you got any idea what I'm doing wrong in my Perl version of the search?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

efry
Master

Post by efry » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:40

armiller45 wrote: You mentioned this is your latest Wiz project - what are the others? Where can they be obtained?
Hi armiller45,

I've written some tools for manipulating firmware files and wizRemote for setting timers remotely via the web. You can get them from http://www.beyonwizsoftware.net/

You can also get source from the openwiz code repository. http://trac.openwiz.org

These apps are for hacking around with the system so use them with caution. ;)

Eric

efry
Master

Post by efry » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:48

Hi Peter,
prl wrote:Looks great! Count me in as a Beta tester if you need one.
Will do. The more testing the better. :) I'm just waiting for the project to stabilise a bit then I'll put the code up on openwiz.org and some binaries on beyonwizsoftware.net
prl wrote:If it's any help, have a look at my Perl code in Beyonwiz::Recording::Recording for downloading recordings. There's a bit less GUI clutter in it, and it's a bit clearer how TS file transfer is supposed to be done than in the WizFX code. I haven't been able to work out how to get an accurate value for the total download size for the Beyonwiz recording copy style. Any ideas on that?
I have been looking at your perl code and it has been quite helpful. Thanks :) I haven't thought about file size yet. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
prl wrote: Do you use WizPnP's M-SEARCH multicast for device discovery? The Host entry box suggests not. If you have got it working have you got any idea what I'm doing wrong in my Perl version of the search?
Yeah, no auto discovery yet. I plan to implement it but haven't got that far yet. I've also got to work out a nice way of intergrating it into the gui.

Do you think many people use the auto discovery mode? I guess it would be useful for non-tech savy people.

Eric

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:54

efry wrote:...
Do you think many people use the auto discovery mode? I guess it would be useful for non-tech savy people.

Eric
That was my intention in trying to implement it in getWizPnP, though getWizPnP is something for people happy with the command-line interface anyway.

In getWizPnP, you don't have to name any device if there's only one on the local net, you have to provide the WizPnP server name if there's more than one (active) and if that fails to match, the error message tells the user what device names are available.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

efry
Master

Post by efry » Sat Apr 19, 2008 00:43

Hi Guys,

Here's another screenshot from my WizMac program. I have implemented downloads with queueing. :)

Hopefully I'll have something to release shortly. Feel free to PM me if you interested in playing with the app in its current state. :)

Regards,
Eric

RubberChicken
Apprentice

Post by RubberChicken » Tue May 13, 2008 11:03

Great work! Looking forward to trying this out.
Beyonwiz DP-P1 {01.05.261} // MacBook 10.5.5 // ICE

Vatoe
Master

Post by Vatoe » Fri May 30, 2008 22:02

Any update on this? I guess us Mac users would love to know an ETA.

cheers,

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat May 31, 2008 13:11

It's been released. The source code is available from OpenWiz.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Vatoe
Master

Post by Vatoe » Sat May 31, 2008 13:43

I noticed that, but I am not that tech savvy to compile it from source code. I need the finished product..

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 31, 2008 15:01

Vatoe wrote:I noticed that, but I am not that tech savvy to compile it from source code. I need the finished product..
The "source" includes a ready-to-run build (in WizMac/build/Release)..
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Vatoe
Master

Post by Vatoe » Sat May 31, 2008 15:09

You have to pardon my ignorance, but I cant find any such directory / folder.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 31, 2008 15:19

Vatoe wrote:You have to pardon my ignorance, but I cant find any such directory / folder.
:oops: Sorry. I thought that when I did my build I'd overwritten an existing downloaded build.
You do have to do a build. It's not hard if you have XCode installed, but if not, then that needs to be installed from your distribution DVDs. Then doubleclick on WizMac (or WizMac.xcodeproj if you're not hiding extensions) in the WizMac directory, and click on the Build icon in XCode. Then you'll have WizMac in WizMac/build/Release.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Vatoe
Master

Post by Vatoe » Sat May 31, 2008 15:24

Ok sounds like a bit of work. I looked up XCode its about 1 Gig download! What DVD's are you referring to?

Wouldn't be easier if a built copy just be deposited in some online file hosting service eg FileAve or Rapidshare? Helps us non coders out? ;-)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 31, 2008 19:09

Vatoe wrote:Ok sounds like a bit of work. I looked up XCode its about 1 Gig download! What DVD's are you referring to?
Pretty big as a download. XCode is on my retail Leopard DVD in Optional Installs/Xcode Tools. The package name is XcodeTools.mpg.

It was also on the Tiger installer than came with my iMac.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Vatoe
Master

Post by Vatoe » Sun Jun 01, 2008 07:46

Thanks very much for your help. I followed all your instructions and got it to work!

Another noob question - can I save (and run) the program as a separate entity or do I have always run it from the Xcode interface?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 01, 2008 07:57

Vatoe wrote:Thanks very much for your help. I followed all your instructions and got it to work!

Another noob question - can I save (and run) the program as a separate entity or do I have always run it from the Xcode interface?
You don't need to run it out of the Xcode interface. In the Finder you can just go to the folder where the WizMac was built (WizMac/build/Release) and double-click to run, or copy it into your Applications folder (or anywhere else convenient) and run it from there.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Vatoe
Master

Post by Vatoe » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:04

Thanks again. I did check (prior to posting) in the actual directory where the files are kept but couldn't find it for some reason - like my wife says I had a 'man look'. Anyway, I managed to find it this time and moved it to App's folder. Works great.

Now to play around with MPEG streamclip The first file I tried, I got picture but no sound. :shock:

Edit: the second file works, it must have been due to trimming (the first file) on the wizzy prior to transferring it.
Edit2: Nice transfer speeds (2.5-3MBs) as well. faster than WizFx via Parallels.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

GB
Master

Post by GB » Sun Jun 01, 2008 20:58

OK, here's my dumb question - what host address do I specify in the top panel in WizMac? I've tried the BW IP address (like in WizFX) but that just times out. The default address that comes up when WizMac opens (198.168.1.102) also just times out. Note WizFX works fine so the settings on the BW (WizPNP etc) seem to be OK.

Thanks!

Greg

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 01, 2008 23:10

GB wrote:OK, here's my dumb question - what host address do I specify in the top panel in WizMac? I've tried the BW IP address (like in WizFX) but that just times out. The default address that comes up when WizMac opens (198.168.1.102) also just times out. Note WizFX works fine so the settings on the BW (WizPNP etc) seem to be OK.

Thanks!

Greg
WizMac works just fine for me when I give it the IP address of my BW, either in dotted-quad format or the name I've given it in /etc/hosts.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

GB
Master

Post by GB » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:01

prl wrote:WizMac works just fine for me when I give it the IP address of my BW, either in dotted-quad format or the name I've given it in /etc/hosts.
I had a flash of inspiration in the shower this morning (!), and tried the IP address without the leading zeros - and now it works fine! :roll:

My only residual question now is how I keep that address as the default when WizMac boots, rather than having to re-enter it each time.

BTW, so far after limited use the program looks great (and faster than WizFX), so thanks efry!

Greg

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:16

GB wrote:
prl wrote:WizMac works just fine for me when I give it the IP address of my BW, either in dotted-quad format or the name I've given it in /etc/hosts.
I had a flash of inspiration in the shower this morning (!), and tried the IP address without the leading zeros - and now it works fine! :roll:

My only residual question now is how I keep that address as the default when WizMac boots, rather than having to re-enter it each time.
Hmmmm... Eric, is the code that decodes the numbers in a dotted quad IP address interpreting 0nn as octal (and perhaps also 0xnn as hex)? That would explain GB's problem.

Yes, it would be nice to have the last IP address saved. Unless I can persuade Eric to use the IP address of my BW as the default instead of his :twisted: :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:25

Hi,

Perhaps Efry will be able to add a drop down list of all discovered Beyonwiz WizPNP servers available so that users can select the appropriate Beyonwiz by its name from the list. In cases where there is only 1 Beyonwiz WizPNP server available then the program will always start with the appropriate Beyonwiz selected. ;)

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:30

IanSav wrote:Hi,

Perhaps Efry will be able to add a drop down list of all discovered Beyonwiz WizPNP servers available so that users can select the appropriate Beyonwiz by its name from the list. In cases where there is only 1 Beyonwiz WizPNP server available then the program will always start with the appropriate Beyonwiz selected. ;)

Regards,
Ian.
WizMac doesn't do discovery yet. But yes, when it does, that's a good idea, and it should also present a drop-down list of recently used IP addresses/names (for now, and also if IP address as well as discovery continues to be available when discovery is implemented).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

janilxx

Post by janilxx » Thu Jun 05, 2008 05:07

prl wrote:
Vatoe wrote: You do have to do a build.
Maybe you could build it and store the runnable into http://www.beyonwizsoftware.net/

OpenWiz is good place for coders, but at least I think http://www.beyonwizsoftware.net/ would be great place for end-user runnables.

Thanks.

efry
Master

Post by efry » Thu Jun 05, 2008 09:22

janilxx wrote:
prl wrote: You do have to do a build.
Maybe you could build it and store the runnable into http://www.beyonwizsoftware.net/

OpenWiz is good place for coders, but at least I think http://www.beyonwizsoftware.net/ would be great place for end-user runnables.

Thanks.
Hi Janilxx,

I don't think it's quite ready to post on beyonwizsoftware just yet. I'd like to get some more rough edges smoothed out first.

I'll post a binary soon.

Regards,
Eric

Return to “Software Developers”