BWFWTools - Perl scripts for manipulating Beyonwiz firmware

Advanced Discussions on Programing for & Modifying Beyonwiz Products.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:52

prl wrote:Beyonwiz engineers know about my efforts in modifying Beyonwiz firmware, but while they obviously don't officially approve of what I do, they have never expressed any disapproval.
Maybe not to you directly. When they became aware of these activities, they were planning on making a number of changes to prevent it and to lock down the unit more. I had to work pretty hard to convince them to not make these changes. It was worthwhile, because in the process I managed to convince them to actually go the other way and tweak the firmware to improve the hackability. The RCU code set switch and httpd fixes are among some of the things I was able to persuade Beyonwiz to work on.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Nov 02, 2011 13:29

Hi, Peter. I was unaware of your efforts, and thank you for them.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Nov 02, 2011 17:16

pbezza wrote:Original Firmware is fine - no errors.

C:\BWFWTools>bw_patcher.pl -c 9 OrigFw.wrp PatchedFw.wrp Beyonwiz::Hack::Telnet
Extract application file system OrigFw.wrp into C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\flash6116
[...]
PatchedFw.wrp uses: 7792640 bytes; available: 16252928; spare: 8460288
That all looks perfectly normal. There's no need to use '-c 9'. That's the default. In very old Beyonwiz firmware the default gzip compression (-c 6 IIRC) was used, but on most models, -c 9 is now required to get the firmware to fit into the firmware flash (the P2 is an exception, it has twice the usual amount of flash).
pbezza wrote:Original Firmware is fine - no errors.
Using 'Firmware Identifier' on the orig firmware, the F/W Vesion is DPP2-01.07.350__Official

When I use it on the patched firmware, the F/w Version area is blank.
When I asked that you use wrp_hdrs.pl to print the headers, there was a reason: it simply prints what's there. The version string in the PatchedFw.wrp you sent me is, in fact, "wiz_pack". It looks as though Firmware Identifier expects the firmware version to be in a particular form and prints nothing if it isn't in that format. But even if I force the firmware version string in the headers to actually be blank (I thought you may have done that accidentally somehow), I still can't reproduce the problem you're having.

I have unpacked both the original firmware you emailed me and the patched firmware. There's no difference between them either in their headers or in the actual firmware files that I wouldn't expect (the hack is a one-line change in the system start-up script).

All this has thrown up a bug in how the header version string is being generated on any of the models newer than the original three (S1, P1, H1), but the bug just means that instead of the default header version string from Beyonwiz::Hack::Telnet being something like "DPP2-01.07.350_telnet", it's just the fixed string "wiz_pack". But that doesn't cause any problems on my Lite (which is probably why I haven't noticed it before).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Nov 02, 2011 17:17

Hi Peter,

This issue was also discussed in the beta area some time ago.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Nov 02, 2011 17:35

IanSav wrote:Hi Peter,

This issue was also discussed in the beta area some time ago.

Regards,
Ian.
Thanks, I didn't remember that. I'll have a look.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Nov 02, 2011 17:50

I've had an idea about this (including why it might be peculiar to the P2) and I've asked pbezza to try it out for me. More later when he gets back to me.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

pbezza
Apprentice

Post by pbezza » Wed Nov 02, 2011 21:18

Thanks prl, your suggestions worked a treat. Have replied to your email with results.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Nov 02, 2011 21:48

I'm going to send a beta of BWFWTools to pbezza tomorrow for him to try out to see whether that fixes the problem. I'm quite hopeful. I'll post a full explanation if that checks out.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:02

pbezza has successfully created a telnet-patched .wrp for his P2 using bw_patcher and Beyonwiz::Hack::Telnet from BWFWTools 0.2.5beta.

The cause of the problem appears to be twofold:
  • When BWFWTools creates a .wrp file (in pack_wrp.pl, run from bw_patcher), it's supposed to set the .wrp file header version string to the form model-firmwareversion_hacktags. So, the version string for pbezza's hacked firmware should have been DPP2-01.07.350_telnet. Unfortunately, for all Beyonwiz models later than the original three (S1, P1 & H1), this string wasn't extracted from the unpacked firmware, and the header version string was the default built into wiz_pack (in Eric Fry's Wiz Firmware Tools), which is "wiz_pack".
  • On DP-P2s (or at least those which must run 01.07 series firmware), some firmware versions (and certainly 01.07.350) actually examine the contents of the .wrp file header version string to ensure that the correct firmware type (01.07 series in this case) is being installed on the machine. This check appears to be the source of the "Firmware version is not recognizable" message that pbezza got.
There will be an official release of BWFWTools soonish. If anyone is having the same problem that pbezza was having creating hacked firmware for the P2, PM me and I can arrange to get you a copy of the beta. There's a bit of a holdup, because pbezza said that his Win7 Pro x64 whinges that the bat files and Perl scripts in BWFWTools are "potentially dangerous". I guess they can be, but not to Windows. I need to see if I can reproduce the problem and work around it somehow. I understand the motivation for the message, but it is a bit of a pain. There are a couple of other bug fixes in BWFWTools 0.2.5.

By the way, Dave, if you're reading this, your Firmware Identifier program doesn't seem to parse the firmware version strings properly in official .wrps for 01.07.350 for DP-P2. The program appears to make assumptions about where the firmware version number is in the header string that aren't true for (at least) that firmware.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

pbezza
Apprentice

Post by pbezza » Mon Nov 07, 2011 21:59

My logon finally works, thanks prl. P2 still working with modified firmware. Just have to figure out how to setup and configure a web server and then give 'Wizremote' a go. Am giving 'Abyss Web Server' a whirl, will see how I go.

pbezza
Apprentice

Post by pbezza » Thu Nov 17, 2011 21:36

Can someone point me in the right directions for remote control?

I have WAMPSERVER up and running on my pc but nothing loads when I navigate to:
'http://localhost' or 'http://localhost/index.php' and when I navigate to 'http://localhost/wizremote.php' I get a page with the following:

Code: Select all

\n"; echo "\t\t$meta\n"; ?>
Login
Username: <?echo $userid; ?>
Password:
The instructions say:
3. setup and configure wizremote.php on your webserver.

What exactly do I configure in the wizremote.php file?

doug_lamb
On probation

Are the BWFWTools still available for DP-P2 / DP-Lite

Post by doug_lamb » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:41

Openwiz appears to be offline - Is there an alterative download available for the BWFWTools to enable the telnet hack and fix an "INDEX" to "index" issue?

DP-P2
DP-Lite
both running 1.07.350

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 28, 2012 13:14

It's been down for a while. I've emailed to the last contact I had at the place that hosts it, but I haven't had a reply.

You can get all the Beyonwiz-related software that I've written (all versions) direct from http://ozi4ums.homedns.org/prl/. The latest BWFWTools is 0.2.4.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Software Developers”