File lost on renaming

Frequently Asked Questions and How To topics for new users.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

mikesullivan

File lost on renaming

Post by mikesullivan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:49

I can't find any reference to this problem in the forum. I renamed a recorded file, selected "save and exit", and the file was gone, without any warning. Has anyone encountered/solved this problem? I could remove the drive and undelete the file on a PC, I suppose, but no warranty thereafter, and not worth the hassle for one file. But will I ever want to rename again? I'd appreciate thoughts on this. :?:
DP-Lite
F/W 01.07.029

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:52

Hi, Mike. Welcome to the forum.

Try re-indexing. Go to the HDD section of FilePlayer and press the SOUNDTRACK button on the remote.

The Beyonwiz keeps a couple of files that list all the recordings and media to help speed up navigation in the file player. Sometimes they get out of sync with what's actually there.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

mikesullivan

Post by mikesullivan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 17:00

prl wrote: Try re-indexing. Go to the HDD section of FilePlayer and press the SOUNDTRACK button on the remote.

The Beyonwiz keeps a couple of files that list all the recordings and media to help speed up navigation in the file player. Sometimes they get out of sync with what's actually there.
Hi Peter

What a genius! I tried your suggestion, thought I had lost all my files because they didn't come up as I expected, but then they suddenly appeared, including the lost one, which plays OK. Thanks a lot.

While your brain is running hot, would you like to suggest why this file won't download through WizFX (just a flash of the download window) while other files come down in a trice? {The file name has a symbol in front - asterisk on the PVR, square in WizFX - is this a problem?)

Mike
DP-Lite
F/W 01.07.029

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Dec 10, 2010 17:33

mikesullivan wrote:While your brain is running hot, would you like to suggest why this file won't download through WizFX (just a flash of the download window) while other files come down in a trice? {The file name has a symbol in front - asterisk on the PVR, square in WizFX - is this a problem?)
Not Peter :D but yes that is a problem and may well be a factor in it disappearing.

Best advice is rename it by clearing the name and typing in a fresh one.
Cheers
Gully

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Fri Dec 10, 2010 17:58

Was the file from SBS? If so they have an illegal character (as far as WizFX is concerned) at the front of all their names - clear the name and rename it then it will transfer ok.. It may of course be something else as suggested.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Dec 10, 2010 18:00

netmask wrote:Was the file from SBS? If so they have an illegal character (as far as WizFX is concerned) at the front of all their names - clear the name and rename it then it will transfer ok.. It may of course be something else as suggested.
I think you crossed posts with Gully :D
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

mikesullivan

Post by mikesullivan » Sun Dec 12, 2010 15:16

prl wrote:
netmask wrote:Was the file from SBS? If so they have an illegal character (as far as WizFX is concerned) at the front of all their names - clear the name and rename it then it will transfer ok.. It may of course be something else as suggested.
I think you crossed posts with Gully :D
Thanks everyone for the guidance. Have experimented - SBS is the problem, asterisk in the name isn't (but why does it appear, I wonder), square symbol in WizFX shows it won't download, and the original name must be cleared, not part or full delete using backspace. So another beginner wobbles on his way. :idea:
DP-Lite
F/W 01.07.029

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Dec 12, 2010 15:30

mikesullivan wrote:... Have experimented - SBS is the problem, asterisk in the name isn't (but why does it appear, I wonder), square symbol in WizFX shows it won't download, and the original name must be cleared, not part or full delete using backspace. So another beginner wobbles on his way. :idea:
The problem is with a non-printing character at the start of the name in the SBS FTA guide. WizZilla may be immune from this problem. Some people prefer its GUI to WizFX, too.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

NaturalSelector
Apprentice

Yay!

Post by NaturalSelector » Wed Jan 05, 2011 22:02

Fantastic!! i have finally found what i was looking for on here.. and only 5hours later(and a Brainfull of info!)
I have exactly the same problem as you mikesullivan!

We have had our unit for near 2years i think(We got our dp-p2 with a 500gb Hdd when that model first came out)
We have had this problem intermittently for ages.. and to be honest, i've never noticed that it only seems to affect some of the SBS recordings. (But not all! only a handful of Man v wild have 'dissapeared') Sometimes they come back after a week, but sometimes they are gone forever.. They have never been important recordings.. until now, so i've never bothered to search for a solution.

I am keen as, to try the re-indexing thing, but i'm stuck.. can someone help me with a seemingly silly question - What is the Soundtrack button?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jan 05, 2011 22:06

Hi NaturalSelector,

You asked this question already and I have answered it already. Please don't post in every thread with the same questions. One post per question is enough.

Regards,
Ian.

NaturalSelector
Apprentice

Post by NaturalSelector » Wed Jan 05, 2011 22:26

IanSav wrote:Hi NaturalSelector,

You asked this question already and I have answered it already. Please don't post in every thread with the same questions. One post per question is enough.

Regards,
Ian.
Yeah sorry champ. My postings were all done before i received email notification of your replies.. :?
Thanks for being so thorough and responding to each of them individually :)

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jan 05, 2011 22:29

Hi NaturalSelector,

We try to help people as quickly as we can here. :)

regards,
Ian.

NaturalSelector
Apprentice

Post by NaturalSelector » Thu Jan 06, 2011 08:53

Appreciated Ian :D

I have completed the indexing which turned up about 5 of the 'missing' files.
On looking through WizFX there are still around 20 files MIA..
Do you think if i re-index a few more times they might turn up?? (I can't do this at the moment, as i am transferring the newly 're-found' files.)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jan 06, 2011 09:01

NaturalSelector wrote:Appreciated Ian :D

I have completed the indexing which turned up about 5 of the 'missing' files.
On looking through WizFX there are still around 20 files MIA..
Do you think if i re-index a few more times they might turn up?? (I can't do this at the moment, as i am transferring the newly 're-found' files.)
The index used by WizFX only gets updated a minute or so after the indexes that the FilePlayer uses are updated. If you went straight to WizFX after doing the re-index, you may still have seen the old WizPnP index contents. The WizPnP index used by WizFX is created from the index files used by the FilePlayer, so it should (after a minute or so) reflect the contents of what you see in the FilePlayer.

Try re-indexing, then wait a few minutes before checking the list in WizFX.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

NaturalSelector
Apprentice

Post by NaturalSelector » Thu Jan 06, 2011 09:06

Bugger (but thanks for reply)

I re-indexed last night, and fired up both DPP2 and the PC this morning to transfer the files.. So im guessing if they are not shown, then there must be some other corruption..?

[Edit - I probably should clirify that WizFX is displaying Everything that is on the PVR.
The File Player is not showing everything.. there are 'missing' files that only WizFX sees(They have a square in front of the file name)
After re-indexing, the P2 File Player 'found' several of these 'missing' files, but there are still alot not being shown in the File Player.

Hope that makes sense?. clear as mud!
Last edited by NaturalSelector on Thu Jan 06, 2011 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jan 06, 2011 09:15

NaturalSelector wrote:Bugger (but thanks for reply)

I re-indexed last night, and fired up both DPP2 and the PC this morning to transfer the files.. So im guessing if they are not shown, then there must be some other corruption..?
Possibly. Running a HDD check (SETUP>System>HDD>Check HDD can also rebuild the index files. It may be worth trying.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

NaturalSelector
Apprentice

Post by NaturalSelector » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:07

prl wrote:
NaturalSelector wrote:Bugger (but thanks for reply)

Possibly. Running a HDD check (SETUP>System>HDD>Check HDD can also rebuild the index files. It may be worth trying.
Excellent!! That worked!
In the file player, i can now 'see' the extra 27 Man Vs Wilds and 19 Top Gears!

Yay now for the fun of renaming all of them...

Thanks folks for your help :D
DP-P2, HDMI
DP-H1
Samsung 26" LCD TV
More stuff
Other suff

Return to “FAQs and Tips”