recorded TV file format?

Frequently Asked Questions and How To topics for new users.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

vitisvini

recorded TV file format?

Post by vitisvini » Wed Dec 02, 2009 14:35

Can anyone tell me what recorded file format my Beyonwiz DP-P2 uses. I can access then once I transfer then to my NAS but they are broken into 32MB blocks. I use VLC to view them but what applications are available to join the portions together so I can convert them to avi, mkv etc?

I am contemplating getting pay TV and record some of the shows. has anyone had success with this and how is the quality given that the inputs are restricted to composite and s-video

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Dec 02, 2009 14:53

The format is MPEG2 Transport Stream. This is frequently recognised if you add a .ts extension to the file.

The program is stored in the files in order, and if you haven't edited the recording on the Beyonwiz, all you need to do is join the files together in numerical order.

The Windows Command Window program copy can do this, but its syntax for doing it is very clumsy. The freeware video editor MPEG Streamclip can also join multiple files together; for Beyonwiz files, you need to tell it to open All Files, not just Video Files. Tell it to go ahead anyway when it says it doesn't recognise the file format. It does, in fact :) Once it's loaded the files, you can edit the recording and save it in a variety of formats.

I'm sure other video editors can do the same job.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

netmask
Wizard

Re: recorded TV file format?

Post by netmask » Wed Dec 02, 2009 15:45

vitisvini wrote:Can anyone tell me what recorded file format my Beyonwiz DP-P2 uses. I can access then once I transfer then to my NAS but they are broken into 32MB blocks. I use VLC to view them but what applications are available to join the portions together so I can convert them to avi, mkv etc?

I am contemplating getting pay TV and record some of the shows. has anyone had success with this and how is the quality given that the inputs are restricted to composite and s-video
Transfer them with WizFX and select TS as the desired format. Existing files on your PC can be converted to TS format using WizFx as well.

VideoRedo, Womble and even ProjectX can join the 32 MB blocks together if you wish to use tvwiz 32 MB block format rather than a single TS file.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Wed Dec 02, 2009 15:51

Also vitisvini,

The A/V Input (channel 950) recording although using a similar encapsulation (32Meg ts fragments), the elementary streams are H.264 video (~3 to 5 mbit/s) with AAC audio (192 kbit/s). Also the video stream has an incorrectly coded fixed 1:1 par value, so you need to correct for this in subsequent processing or viewing.

Also for the Mpeg2 streams it is usually a good idea to run the files through something like ProjectX to correct AV sync errors caused by any received RF signal errors.

vitisvini

thanks

Post by vitisvini » Wed Dec 02, 2009 17:12

Thanks everyone for all the info, However, as I am new to this and I am unable to find WizFX as suggested. Google directs me to a site that is closed. Has anyone got an idea where to find WizFX or has that fallen into the abiss?

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Wed Dec 02, 2009 17:17

Go to the main Beyonwiz site and under Downloads select other and there it is...

http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/download.asp
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

prl
Wizard God

Re: thanks

Post by prl » Wed Dec 02, 2009 17:18

vitisvini wrote:Thanks everyone for all the info, However, as I am new to this and I am unable to find WizFX as suggested. Google directs me to a site that is closed. Has anyone got an idea where to find WizFX or has that fallen into the abiss?
No, the abyss has not swallowed WizFX. You'll find it on the Beyonwiz downloads page (it was written by the good folk at Beyonwiz), in the "Others" dropdown list.

The top entry (version 1.0.2.3) is the most recent version (I don't know why the two versions are described in ways that can't easily be compared).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

vitisvini

:)

Post by vitisvini » Wed Dec 02, 2009 17:23

Once again, thanks :lol:

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Dec 02, 2009 18:12

Hi,

The other think to note is that while you can join all the 32MB chunks of the recording together and then rename the file to a .ts name this process will *not* respect any edits made while the recording was on the Beyonwiz. WizFX, or any of the user developed equivalents, will combine the parts into the target .ts file but will also apply all the correct edit points to the output file.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “FAQs and Tips”