Editing with BW from ext HDD

Frequently Asked Questions and How To topics for new users.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

brisguy79
Apprentice

Editing with BW from ext HDD

Post by brisguy79 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 15:34

Hopefully an easy question.

Is it possible to edit a recording that is stored on an ext HDD using a BW P1? the recording was initially made with the P1, and has since been moved to the ext HDD.

Just wanting to top/tail and remove some ads. Will this work if I then intend to make one TS file on the computer and compress to AVI?

My other workaround is to copy the recording back to the P1's internal HDD, do the editing, and then copy it back off again, but just looking to save time (several large files to do this to).

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Wed Oct 21, 2009 16:23

Why not plug the external HDD direct into your computer and use WizFX to change the file to TS format and then edit on your PC.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Oct 21, 2009 16:35

Hi Brisguy79,

I have not tested a USB connected drive but unfortunately you can not save bookmarks or edits for recordings external to the Beyonwiz. (In my case I mean external to be on my NAS or other external/networked PC.)

I don't know why this is not possible. I can delete files across the network but not edit them.

Regards,
Ian.

brisguy79
Apprentice

Post by brisguy79 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 16:50

netmask wrote:Why not plug the external HDD direct into your computer and use WizFX to change the file to TS format and then edit on your PC.
I was just going to do what I'm used to.
Doing it after the TS conversion, would I use ProjectX? If that's the case won't I have to demux/remux etc before then using AutoGK?

Don't know about the demux/remux stuff, but have read it somewhere on the forum, and sounds like something I should avoid in terms of difficulty etc.
IanSav wrote: I have not tested a USB connected drive but unfortunately you can not save bookmarks or edits for recordings external to the Beyonwiz. (In my case I mean external to be on my NAS or other external/networked PC.)

I don't know why this is not possible. I can delete files across the network but not edit them..
Thanks Ian, just as I thought. I have the same experience when it comes to being able to delete from my USB connected drive, but looks like I'll have to explore other alternatives for the editing.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Wed Oct 21, 2009 18:05

Even if AutoGk would accept a tvwiz format file you still have the possibility of transmission errors. If you think the file looks okay - playing it as a converted TS file in say VLC you can top and tail in ProjectX but instead of outputting the first option Demux select "to TS"
If you want to spend some money then Womble or VideoRedo will allow you to edit the TS file - leaving ProjectX out of the equation. Another program you can top and tail is MPEGStreamclip ( a free program) and once again you can output as a standard MPEG file.

A note on Womble you can convert direct from TS to MP4 if you wish. Another plus for Womble is you can input separate video and audio files (ie demuxed via ProjectX) and output a normal MPEG2 file.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Return to “FAQs and Tips”