Discrete ON code for DP-P2 not working for Pronto

Remote Control questions, tips and TV Codes.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

sblock
Apprentice

Discrete ON code for DP-P2 not working for Pronto

Post by sblock » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:52

A updated my programmable remote (Pronto) with the discrete codes list on http://www.openwiz.org/wiki/Infrared_Codes:

They are listed as:

Code: Select all

0xBE, 0x00, 0x5B, 0xA4, :Discrete Power ON
0xBE, 0x00, 0x56, 0xA9, :Discrete Power OFF
0xBE, 0x00, 0x0A, 0xF5, :Standby
Now as I am using a pronto I have added the preamble codes of:

900A 006D 0000 0001
e.g. 900A 006D 0000 0001 BE00 0AF5 (for standby)
In addition I have changed the codes listed above to be DP-P2 introduction sequence codes (as that it what I have). These codes use BE01xxxx instead of BE00xxxx.

So in the end I have programmed these codes to be Pronot friendly for DP-P2 running 01.07.350 firmware:

900A 006D 0000 0001 BE01 5BA4, :Discrete Power ON
900A 006D 0000 0001 BE01 56A9, :Discrete Power OFF
900A 006D 0000 0001 BE01 0AF5, :Standby
All good and well. I find that the Discrete power OFF code works as expected (causes it to turn off but does not wake a sleeping DP-P2).

However the Discrete Power ON codes does not. It essentially acts as the standby (toggle) and will cause the DP-P2 to turn OFF if it is already on.
Does the discrete ON actually work for anyone? Any hints appreciated!
:lol:
Simon
------------
DP-P2 .....and loving it!

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 17:00

I'm not sure that there can be a discrete power on for all Beyonwizes anyway. The Power Toggle remote code is hard-wired into the firmware for the front panel microcontroller. Older Beyonwiz firmware did not have a discrete power off. I don't think that older Beyonwiz PVRs ever had discrete on or discrete off in their front panel microcontrollers, and I've never heard that the codes had been added to newer models.

For power-on, the front panel needs to know the codes that can turn the Beyonwiz on (ideally PowerToggle and PowerOn), and it also needs to know the codes that can turn it off (ideally PowerToggle and PowerOff) so that it can set the watchdog timer that causes a hard shutdown if the Beyonwiz doesn't respond to the power off command.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the discrete codes have never been added to the front panel controllers.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

sblock
Apprentice

Post by sblock » Tue Apr 19, 2011 18:27

Yep I assumed that it was harder for BW to supply a patch to support the power ON discrete code for the reasons you identified: it needs to detect it when the main firmware is asleep, so the front panel controller needs to be re-programmed which is probably not field-upgradable.

I have been using the OFF discrete code for ages with no problems. It was only because I saw reference to the discrete ON code on:

http://www.openwiz.org/wiki/Infrared_Codes

that I tried it.
What is the story behind this wiki then? Is this ON code supported on some other models?
I thought the 5BA4 code was my saviour!
Oh well its only a minor inconvenience but it would have been nice if it worked (one day!).
Simon
------------

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Apr 19, 2011 20:02

Hi Simon,

As I am the user who updated the wiki it should fall to me to respond to your question.

I edited the wiki and added the discrete ON and OFF codes based on the information in the "current" Beyonwiz DP-S1 manual. My electronic copy of the manual is dated about Jun-2009 and is marked as version 1.52. The information is contained on page 11 of the manual. I quickly checked the DP-P2 and FV-L1 manuals I happen to have online and note that they both don't have the section that lists *any* of the extra discrete codes. Given that the DP-S1 is the oldest model available I simply assumed that the codes should equally apply to all the newer models. That fact that the discrete OFF code appears to work partially vindicates my decision to update the wiki using the general case.

I have no ability to test these codes. I performed the wiki update based solely on the discovery of the additional codes as listed in the updated manual.

If someone can provide me with substantiated corrections (more than one person confirming the correction) then I would be happy to update/correct the wiki.

Regards,
Ian.

sblock
Apprentice

Post by sblock » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:17

Hi Ian,
thanks for the response.

Ok so what we DO know is the discrete ON code MAY be supported by the DP-S1. I can say definitively that the discrete OFF code and the standby (toggle) code works on the DP-P2 1.07.350 and a few earlier versions. I can also confirm that on a DP-P2 the discrete ON code works the same as the standby code (effectively a toggle). Note also that I have modified all the prefixes of these codes from BE00xxxx to BE01xxxx to support the DP-P2. I cannot confirm how other models behave, but it is likely they would work the same with the BE00xxxx prefix codes.

So for me this raises the possibility of getting both discrete codes working. From my "blackbox" understanding of the BW there are 2 places the codes are received and interpreted:
1 - the BW firmware when the unit is running: which then passes it to some command interpreter
2 - the front panel controller (separate firmware executive or programmed chip?): that will do something simple like toggle a wakeup pin to the processor to wake the firmware

As the standby and discrete ON codes both wake the BW in scenario 2: then all we need is the following change to the BW firmware (for scenario 1):

When the discrete ON code is received: ignore it. Only respond (turn off) when it receives either the discrete OFF code or the standby code (both of which it already does).

Perhaps some firmware guru's can respond to this. If I am not off track can this be added to the wish list?
cheers.
Simon
------------

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:40

Hi Simon,

What you suggest makes sense with only one proviso. If the front panel controller sees the discrete ON and decides that this is a code that it *must* action then the front panel controller may force a shut down by removing power from the main board. If the front panel ignores the code when the unit is already on then your suggestion stands and should work.

I am happy to see this added to the bug list. Perhaps the bug can be worded as "When the Beyonwiz is in the ON state the remote control Discrete ON command sequence triggers a transition to the STANDBY state. When the unit is ON the Discrete ON remote control code should be ignored."

It would be interesting to see if any other users can test the codes on some other models.

Regards,
Ian.

sblock
Apprentice

Post by sblock » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:52

Ian,

The behaviour of the discrete ON code that I observed was that:
- when the unit was on it caused it to go to sleep (or flashed up the dialog of it was in the middle of a recording).
- when the unit was off it powered up

No in no case did it force a shutdown or power-fail the unit. If it turned off it was a soft-off so it was obviously being controlled by the firmware not just a "removing of power".

So I think there IS a case for a firmware mod to allow the discrete ON to work as such. The only question I have is if the firmware can tell the difference between the discrete ON code and the standby code? Currently it reacts the same way to both.

To whom it may concern: if someone wants to send me a patched 1.07.350 firmware I can test this possible feature.
Simon
------------

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:02

sblock wrote:...
So I think there IS a case for a firmware mod to allow the discrete ON to work as such. The only question I have is if the firmware can tell the difference between the discrete ON code and the standby code? Currently it reacts the same way to both.
As I tried to explain earlier, the main firmware cannot provide a discrete on - because if the Beyonwiz is in standby, the main firmware is not running at all. Beyonwiz "standby" mode is more like a PC's Shutdown mode than a PC's Stand by or Hibernate modes. There is no power to the main board; in particular, there is no power to main memory. The only firmware running is that in the front panel microcontroller.
sblock wrote:To whom it may concern: if someone wants to send me a patched 1.07.350 firmware I can test this possible feature.
There isn't a hacked firmware version that can do what you want. It is not possible to do what you want with the main firmware at all.

Discrete ON can only be provided by modifying the front panel microcontroller firmware. As you have already suggested, that firmware is not field-modifiable.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:20

Hi Peter,

Simon has already confirmed that if the Beyonwiz is OFF then the Discrete ON turns the unit ON. If the Beyonwiz is ON then the Discrete ON turns the unit OFF. This implies that the front panel controller understands the Discrete ON sequence. It is the main firmware that is incorrectly responding to the Discrete ON command.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:24

Hi Simon,

The Discrete ON, Discrete OFF and STANDBY codes all use distinct control sequences that should be able to be uniquely identified within the main processor firmware.

Only Beyonwiz Korea can provide such firmware hacks and patches. If this is added to the bug list then it can be brought to the Beyonwiz engineers' attention for potential action.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:56

IanSav wrote:Hi Peter,

Simon has already confirmed that if the Beyonwiz is OFF then the Discrete ON turns the unit ON. If the Beyonwiz is ON then the Discrete ON turns the unit OFF. This implies that the front panel controller understands the Discrete ON sequence. It is the main firmware that is incorrectly responding to the Discrete ON command.

Regards,
Ian.
You're quite right.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:57

Hi Peter,

:)

Regards,
Ian.

sblock
Apprentice

Post by sblock » Wed Apr 20, 2011 17:23

Thanks guys for all your responses. Perhaps Ian's post has allowed us to discover the potential for a discrete code on the DP-P2 that was only intended for DP-S1.

I'll create a test panel on my pronto over the next week with separate buttons for the 3 codes in question and verify my observations with attention to more corner conditions....just to make sure my assertions are correct.
Simon
------------

sblock
Apprentice

Post by sblock » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:44

Mystery solved!

I tested the codes out in isolation (on separate buttons on the Pronto) and both the ON and OFF discrete codes worked as expected. I then noticed that global ON button that turns the TV and AMP on as well as the BW was actually sending an OFF before the ON.

So I removed the superfluous OFF and it all works!

So to confirm we now have discrete codes for both ON and OFF now for the Beyonwiz (at least I can confirm it works with a DP-P2 with 1.07.350 firmware).

That's one more item to strike off my firmware wishlist...
Simon
------------

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:58

Hi Simon,

Thanks for confirming that all the codes work as expected. I hope this improves your remote control experience and is a trigger to assist others in optimising their Beyonwiz remote controls.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “Remote Controls”