Channel 7 Signal Quality-0

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

stix
On probation

Channel 7 Signal Quality-0

Post by stix » Sat Dec 20, 2008 14:24

hope someone can help, currently i can not pick up channel 7. has been this way for about 4 days now. at first the signal quality was just very poor now cant pick up ch 7 at all. no problems with any of the other stations. tuner info for ch7 says signal strength is about 93-94% while the signal quality is usually at 0%, occassionaly showing some signs of life.

i have done a re-scan of the channels but didnt help. also i tried connecting my old topfield box and it had the same issues. i live only a few kms from ch7.

appreciate any help, thanks. (sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Dec 20, 2008 14:48

I'd contact Ch 7, check the dtvforum for similar comments and of course check your antenna and cabling.
Cheers
Gully

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Re: Channel 7 Signal Quality-0

Post by IanSav » Sat Dec 20, 2008 15:11

Hi Stix,

Welcome!
stix wrote:hope someone can help, currently i can not pick up channel 7. has been this way for about 4 days now. at first the signal quality was just very poor now cant pick up ch 7 at all. no problems with any of the other stations. tuner info for ch7 says signal strength is about 93-94% while the signal quality is usually at 0%, occassionaly showing some signs of life.

i have done a re-scan of the channels but didnt help. also i tried connecting my old topfield box and it had the same issues. i live only a few kms from ch7.

It sounds like you are having antenna or cable issues. As a first guess please check all cables and connection to ensure nothing is corroded or loose. If that doesn't help then it may be time to get an antenna professional in to check out your system.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Dec 20, 2008 15:30

IanSav wrote:Hi Stix,

Welcome!
stix wrote:hope someone can help, currently i can not pick up channel 7. has been this way for about 4 days now. at first the signal quality was just very poor now cant pick up ch 7 at all. no problems with any of the other stations. tuner info for ch7 says signal strength is about 93-94% while the signal quality is usually at 0%, occassionaly showing some signs of life.

It sounds like you are having antenna or cable issues. As a first guess please check all cables and connection to ensure nothing is corroded or loose. If that doesn't help then it may be time to get an antenna professional in to check out your system.

Regards,
Ian.
If Stix is receiving from the transmitters at Bickley/Carmel/Walliston my guess would be that it's not the antenna, because digital services from there are on chans 6/8/11/12/29. Seven Digital is on channel 8. It'd have to be a pretty interesting (but I suppose not impossible) antenna/cabling problem that would take out chan 8 but not chan 6.

The first thing I did when I saw Stix's post was to see whether Seven Digital was the only broadcaster on either VHF or UHF for Perth, because I once lost SBS (the only UHF channel on Black Mountain) when sulphur-crested cockatoos chewed through the connection between my antenna's UHF avd VHF elements :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Dec 20, 2008 15:34

Hi Peter,

I was thinking more along the lines that Stix's reception may be very close to the digital cliff.

Regards,
Ian.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Dec 20, 2008 22:14

Welcome stix,

It's your antenna or antenna cabling that's causing the loss of quality on channel seven. Check for electrically noisy gear, loose or corroded cable connections etc.

Do you receive TV through an antenna in or on your roof?

Or from an underground cable that's shared by the whole street? (as used in some areas of Perth)
prl wrote:If Stix is receiving from the transmitters at Bickley/Carmel/Walliston my guess would be that it's not the antenna, because digital services from there are on chans 6/8/11/12/29. Seven Digital is on channel 8. It'd have to be a pretty interesting (but I suppose not impossible) antenna/cabling problem that would take out chan 8 but not chan 6.
Umm, Seven Digital (TVW6 aka TVW-7) is on channel 6. Seeing as it's his lowest frequency channel that is the problem, and the fact that his toppy behaved the same, it points to the antenna being the cause. .
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Dec 21, 2008 05:10

Dave? wrote:Welcome stix,

It's your antenna or antenna cabling that's causing the loss of quality on channel seven. Check for electrically noisy gear, loose or corroded cable connections etc.

Do you receive TV through an antenna in or on your roof?

Or from an underground cable that's shared by the whole street? (as used in some areas of Perth)
prl wrote:If Stix is receiving from the transmitters at Bickley/Carmel/Walliston my guess would be that it's not the antenna, because digital services from there are on chans 6/8/11/12/29. Seven Digital is on channel 8. It'd have to be a pretty interesting (but I suppose not impossible) antenna/cabling problem that would take out chan 8 but not chan 6.
Umm, Seven Digital (TVW6 aka TVW-7) is on channel 6. Seeing as it's his lowest frequency channel that is the problem, and the fact that his toppy behaved the same, it points to the antenna being the cause. .
:oops: You're perfectly right about Seven Digital being on chan 6. Brain-keyboard problem here. And yes, that could well point to an old antenna that's low gain in chan 6.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

stix
On probation

Post by stix » Sun Dec 21, 2008 13:38

thanks everyone for the replies. my antenna is on the roof. looking at the antenna (from the ground) and the cabling they do appear to me to be ok but i accept this is the problem and will get an antenna guy to come round.

thanks again for the advice.

Return to “General Discussion”