Can BW V2 send a power-down signal to receiver/TV?

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Qgol

Can BW V2 send a power-down signal to receiver/TV?

Post by Qgol » Thu Oct 26, 2023 15:22

This is a bit bizarre... my setup of a Beyonwiz V2 connected through a Yamaha RX-A870 receiver to an LG OLED55C8PTA TV has been working very nicely for over two years. Several days ago, for no apparent reason, the TV has started powering off precisely every 15 minutes, only when the BW input is selected on the receiver. Turn it on again with the remote, and everything trundles along well for the next 15 minutes. I've gone through the following fault isolation process:
Connecting the BW directly to the TV does NOT cause the power-down behaviour.
Switching to an alternate source on the receiver, with an Apple TV connected, does NOT cause the power-down behaviour.
Swapping the two inputs on the receiver, the power-down behaviour follows the BW only.
Connecting the BW through a completely different input, including one of the non-HDCP inputs, still exhibits the power-down behaviour.

So I'm stumped. Is it even possible for a BW to do something which would then cause a power-down signal to propagate from the receiver to the TV?
I've not yet had an opportunity to replace the receiver with a different one, but that would obviously be a next step if I can obtain one.

Thank you for any ideas or clues.

netmask
Wizard

Re: Can BW V2 send a power-down signal to receiver/TV?

Post by netmask » Fri Oct 27, 2023 17:53

For starters to eliminate where the problem may be - turn off CEC in the BW - observe action, if still persists turn off CEC in the TV...... and cross your fingers! Personally I think CEC is the work of the devil! I've long resigned my self not to use it at all, nothing but problems and am happy to use many separate remotes :D Good luck

PS check that you haven't inadvertently set a timer in your TV and do the usual and reboot everything!
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Qgol

Post by Qgol » Fri Oct 27, 2023 22:13

Thanks netmask, you are correct. I've now read about HDMI-CEC and indeed turning it off solved the problem. I actually disabled the TV first and that was sufficient on its own but I turned it off in the BW as well for good measure since I use a Logitech Harmony as a common controller for the system so don't need CEC.
Having confirmed that the issue was something to do with a signal from the Beyonwiz causing the TV to shut down every 15 minutes it would seem that there may be a firmware issue with the Beyonwiz. How does one escalate a bug report on this forum?

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Oct 27, 2023 23:03

Qgol wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 22:13
Having confirmed that the issue was something to do with a signal from the Beyonwiz causing the TV to shut down every 15 minutes it would seem that there may be a firmware issue with the Beyonwiz. How does one escalate a bug report on this forum?
There is no point unfortunately as there is unlikely to be any further firmware development with Beyonwiz unresponsive these days.
Cheers
Gully

Qgol

Post by Qgol » Sat Oct 28, 2023 07:14

Sorry to hear that. Thank you for your help.

Return to “General Discussion”