Beyonwiz Alternative

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

BigbobOz
Master

Beyonwiz Alternative

Post by BigbobOz » Sun Apr 10, 2022 21:20

So what are our options if Beyonwiz ceases to exist?

Hypothetical of course but given the responsiveness to support requests perhaps it's not out of the question...sadly

prl
Wizard God

Re: Beyonwiz Alternative

Post by prl » Mon Apr 11, 2022 09:43

From what I've read on the Whirlpool forums, Fetch TV will give you IceTV-like recording capabilities and better streaming capabilities than the Beyonwiz. But there's no usable skip (or perhaps even no skip at all), and I think that there is no, or very limited, ability to copy recordings off the Fetch (it's FreeTV compliant). From what users say on Whirlpool, though, the Fetch has quite good FF arrangements.

I think that Panasonic still makes PVRs, too, but I know even less about them. You can probably download a manual and have a look there.

There's some recent discussion about the Fetch (as a replacement for a Foxtel box) on Whirlpool: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/30x1mljp
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:41

BigbobOz wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 21:20

Hypothetical of course but given the responsiveness to support requests perhaps it's not out of the question...sadly

There are always Windows PC based solutions, but for those you will need (naturally) a PC and TV tuner. Linux or Macs may also be an option, but I have no expertise in those areas.

Both TV Scheduler Pro and NextPVR v4 can use IceTV's EPG, but neither are IceTV interactive enabled. It may be possible to use use IceTV's EPG with NextPVR v5, but I haven't looked into that and there are no instructions that I can see on the IceTV web site. One major advantage of using the IceTV EPG is the presence of a repeat flag where appropriate, and TV Scheduler Pro's auto add scan can filter scheduling using that flag. I don't think NextPVR has that capability, but I haven't investigated that.

An FTA EPG can be compiled for TV Scheduler Pro if required using EPG Collector; NextPVR fetches its own. Both applications can only be programmed to update their EPG once a day.

There are no live TV options with TV Scheduler Pro, but there is a NextPVR client for watching TV on the run. There looks to be some chase play capability with the NextPVR client but I have never tried it. There is also a NextPVR add-on for Kodi that works well for live TV and for setting recordings.

Neither application has inbuilt media player capability, but as PC based solutions they can be used in tandem with PC media playing capability. There is also the benefit of networking with whichever file server options you prefer.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Mon Apr 11, 2022 16:12

It may be possible to get one of the European Enigma2 PVRs to work in Australia. The main problem I can see is that they mostly are limited to two free-to-air tuners (as satellite and cable are also supported); not aware of them supporting USB tuners. Depending on the image used, it may be possible to get IceTV to work - there is apparently an openatv icetv plugin.

Many of the European units, such as the vu+, support multiple Enigma2 images.

Ian
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Tue Apr 12, 2022 22:29

Thanks Peter, Ian and Ray,

Appreciate the feedback but it does depresses me. I've been really happy with the Beyonwiz setup, skipping, recording to one device, playback to multiple boxes.

Fetch - skipping is the biggest feature
Windows - I want something reliable that works like an appliance
Enigma import - sounds promising but I'm not that capable with Linux. Been banging my head against the wall with Homeassistant and some other home automation stuff. NFI what I'm doing
NextPVR - will check it out, I had not heard of it. I do use IceTv for scheduling so a bit to think about

Thanks,
Rob

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 12, 2022 23:19

BigbobOz wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 22:29
Enigma import - sounds promising but I'm not that capable with Linux. Been banging my head against the wall with Homeassistant and some other
They would be pretty much like the Wiz, just with a different looking user interface. The T/U/V Wiz units are all Enigma2 boxes.

I think the biggest thing you would lose with an import is all the nice value-ad functionality that has been added specifically to the Wiz units over the years. The biggest one, in my opinion, is again, the skipping. Our method of primarily using the arrow buttons is not widely used overseas. You can see what I mean if you install the OpenATV firmware image onto your V2.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 00:55

IanL-S wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 16:12
It may be possible to get one of the European Enigma2 PVRs to work in Australia. The main problem I can see is that they mostly are limited to two free-to-air tuners (as satellite and cable are also supported); not aware of them supporting USB tuners. Depending on the image used, it may be possible to get IceTV to work - there is apparently an openatv icetv plugin.

Many of the European units, such as the vu+, support multiple Enigma2 images.

Ian
You reminded me that the Vu+ Ultima 4K is a potential candidate as a replacement if optioned with internal DVB-T2 tuners. I'm not certain but apparently it can support 5 tuners. It also supports HDMI 2 input.

Probably not cheap though and local support is probably non existent but I think we're getting used to that.

Of course, the challenge will be to somehow refine the software to our liking!
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Wed Apr 13, 2022 22:38

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 23:19
The biggest one, in my opinion, is again, the skipping. Our method of primarily using the arrow buttons is not widely used overseas. You can see what I mean if you install the OpenATV firmware image onto your V2.
They 'fast forward/rewind' voluntarily??? :shock:

I'd miss IceTV as well

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Wed Apr 13, 2022 22:44

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 00:55

You reminded me that the Vu+ Ultima 4K is a potential candidate as a replacement if optioned with internal DVB-T2 tuners. I'm not certain but apparently it can support 5 tuners. It also supports HDMI 2 input.
I'd be all over that if my T4 died but not entirely sure it can do more than 2x terrestrial tuners, seems the other slot is reserved for S or C tuners. Given it says they're Advanced Pluggable tuners, you would think you could spec additional T tuners but why not state that if that is so?

I'd have to test things out with a cheaper model to see how viable a VU box is...

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 02:36

BigbobOz wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 22:44

I'd be all over that if my T4 died but not entirely sure it can do more than 2x terrestrial tuners, seems the other slot is reserved for S or C tuners. Given it says they're Advanced Pluggable tuners, you would think you could spec additional T tuners but why not state that if that is so?

I'd have to test things out with a cheaper model to see how viable a VU box is...

It's not at all clear from the website whether you can replace all the satellite tuners with terrestrial types but it appears there are 3 slots and two slots can support dual DVB-T2 tuners. Presumably the third slot can take a single DVB-T2 tuner but I wouldn't bother. If I can get four that would be plenty.

Mind you, I have too many working Wizzes to need to buy anything else soon!
Denon AVR -X2400H

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Thu Apr 14, 2022 23:12

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 02:36

Likewise but there seem to be more and more posts about Wizzes in trouble, I'm getting nervous. Plus I did have my T3 die on me...

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 23:46

BigbobOz wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 23:12
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 02:36

Likewise but there seem to be more and more posts about Wizzes in trouble, I'm getting nervous. Plus I did have my T3 die on me...

I have a spare T3 motherboard and front panel if you want them and I'm going to try and fix another one with blown capacitors over Easter.
Denon AVR -X2400H

stevebow
Master

Post by stevebow » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:23

BigbobOz wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 21:20

Back in 2015 when I bought my T4 I was also looking at a Humax HMS-1000T quad tuner PVR. I was really undecided between the 2, but what tipped the balance decidedly in favour of the T4 was when I stumbled across this forum. :D The support here just did it for me.

I see the 1000T is still showing at the Humax website, so another option to consider. A downside is that the system software appears not to have been updated since Aug. 2016 (a nice thing about the BWs is the ongoing support by Peter U. and others), but I guess if it works then fine.

I did a quick google and couldn't easily find where to buy them, you may have to contact Humax directly if you are interested.

Blot
Apprentice

Post by Blot » Mon Apr 25, 2022 16:23

I don’t think you can beat a Beyonwiz. If they do decide to close like Topfield did then hopefully they will warn us so we can all buy a replacement V2.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Tue Apr 26, 2022 13:03

I tried a V2 about 18 months ago, but had a few problems which could not be corrected (frame rate matching on external files), so returned it. The biggest issue is not having a hdmi IN port like the U4. Even though I no longer use it for recording hdmi input, the convenience of plugging in my Vodafone TV (to watch Kayo through a Kodi app) and using it as another channel (without the need of a splitter to remove hdcp :wink: ) is pure joy.
I rarely watch fta (the news and a few random things) so mainly use it for Kayo and the Plex plugin. If my U4 died, I wouldn't bother with another PVR.

mrcell
Apprentice

Post by mrcell » Fri Dec 01, 2023 13:53

I'm also starting to think about what to do after the BW gear dies. Hopefully I'll be ok for a while as I have a U4 and T3 both working but nothing lasts forever.

Windows PC based solutions like NextPVR (or some other similar ones I know of) would be workable for me as I only need DVB-T and have plenty of tuners I could deploy. I wouldn't mind using the Windows interface for scheduling recordings and editing the files but, as raymondjpg says above, I would want a DLNA or comparable media server to watch the recordings on a large screen.

It would be painful having to use generic FF rather than true skipping but I could probably live with it. The ideal would be a media player built to replicate some of the playback features of dedicated PVRs but possibly asking too much there :)

Does anyone know of a media server that lets you delete items as well as play them as I haven't come across one?

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sat Dec 02, 2023 16:45

mrcell wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 13:53
It would be painful having to use generic FF rather than true skipping but I could probably live with it. The ideal would be a media player built to replicate some of the playback features of dedicated PVRs but possibly asking too much there :)

Does anyone know of a media server that lets you delete items as well as play them as I haven't come across one?

If your PC can be connected directly to the TV with, say, an HDMI cable then install Kodi and set it up to use an external player. I use MPC-BE.

For live TV in Kodi you need a back end in your (or other networked) PC such as NextPVR (which now attracts a modest donation) or MediaPortal (which is still free).

You then set up Kodi with the appropriate PVR client which will allow you to play live TV and to schedule recordings, in addition to the TV scheduling features in whichever back end you choose to use. One hitch with using Kodi this way is that with recent versions of Kodi, TV subtitles do not work.

However if you set up MPC-BE as an external player for Kodi, it can be configured to display subtitles when playing TV .ts files recorded through Kodi. MPC-BE can be configured for short, medium amd long skips assigned to keyboard strokes. These can be coded into configurable remote control devices, if you prefer to use those rather than keyboard and mouse.

Kodi is also a great media player for other media files you may have on your PC. It can also be configured to give you the option to delete media items.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Scobie
Master

Post by Scobie » Mon Dec 11, 2023 16:02

JRiver Media Center will allow you to delete recorded video files.

https://jriver.com/index.html
BeyonWiz T4
Cambridge Audio CXR120
Sony Bravia KDL-55HX820
QNAP TS-453mini
JBL Authentic L8

steve_666
Apprentice

Post by steve_666 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 19:12

Sorry to dig up an old post but what would be a good replacement for a T4?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:45

A refurbished T4.

There's nothing else like the T4 available in Australia.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

steve_666
Apprentice

Post by steve_666 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 15:36

peteru wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:45
A refurbished T4.

There's nothing else like the T4 available in Australia.
So a replacement for the T4 is a refurbished T4.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Feb 17, 2024 18:09

Yep. Look after your T4. If you haven't had the tuner voltage regulator heat sinks checked and / or replaced, consider doing so before the thermal compound deteriorates enough to damage the motherboard and make the T4 unrepairable.

If your T4 is flaky or does not work any more, do not put it in storage (time will only make the problem worse) or throw it out. Contact NASA Electronics in Sydney to see if they can repair it or at least use it for spare parts to repair other faulty T4's in the future.

Blog.

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Sat Feb 17, 2024 19:05

assuming the same for a U4 as has been said for a T4.

steve_666
Apprentice

Post by steve_666 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 19:14

Ok cool gotya now, kinda what I thought also. No real point updating to the V2 then do you think?
Thanks for that

Yeah I live where its hot so better check that. On hot days I cant get SBS or ABC other channels are ok most of the time.
I get the boot issue a bit but thats a easy fix.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Feb 18, 2024 08:56

steve_666 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 19:14
No real point updating to the V2 then do you think?

They can't be bought new, either. They're quite a bit faster than the T4, but lack HDMI in, and because they don't have an internal HDD, their USB ports are full if you have a HDD and (say), a USB tuner (to bring the number of tuners up to 4 or 5).

Apart from processor speed and the need to replace the tuner regulator heat sinks, I think that the T4 is the best PVR that Beyonwiz released.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

kidhazy
Apprentice

Post by kidhazy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 15:50

I've been trying to get myself a 2nd T4/U4/V4 but have never been able to find a 2nd hand or refurbished one of the usual sites like ebay/marketplace.

Has anyone had success in sourcing refurb'd Beyonwiz's?

Cheers.

gawaterman
Master

Post by gawaterman » Sun Mar 03, 2024 16:01

Check regularly on Facebook and Gumtree but also no sucess :(

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Mar 03, 2024 20:11

NASA Electronics

Blog.

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:16

yeah, I'd be keen to get a refurb T4 or U4 at some stage if one became available too.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Mar 04, 2024 15:04

Nasa Electronics has a refurbished barebones V2 without a remote on sale and a refurbished 500GB T2 on sale at the moment. The V2 has been there for a while, but the T2 is new since the last time I looked. They have some refurbished Topfields, too.

https://www.nasaelectronics.com.au/shop
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Mar 04, 2024 16:51

Got worried I was going to need a repair/replacememt for my U4 a couple of days ago when I turned mine on and all I got was the front panel showing the signal bar streaming in red. (best I can describe it)

Fortunately cyclying the mains power did the trick.
Cheers
Gully

gawaterman
Master

Post by gawaterman » Thu Mar 07, 2024 09:53

Just seen a T3 for sale on Facebook Marketplace.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... a9c0dced0d

Return to “General Discussion”