can't get away from 'loading scanning setup'

Beyonwiz HD STB / Network Media Player.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

m_r
Apprentice

can't get away from 'loading scanning setup'

Post by m_r » Fri Mar 25, 2011 21:58

I've just put the most recent firmware onto my DP-H1. Whether my problem is the result of doing so, I have no idea: but I can advise that I did restore factory settings and the problem was still there; so I installed the new firmware again...
Basically, as soon as the Beyonwiz is switched on, it takes itself to the scanning setup page, and whilst I can move to and fro within the four areas of the top menu, I can do nothing like setting to record: it won't let me get away from that scan setup page.
Does anyone have advice for me, please?

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Mar 25, 2011 22:42

You have to scan for services first - you don't have any stations to tune to otherwise.
Cheers
Gully

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Sat Mar 26, 2011 05:06

[quote="Gully"]You have to scan for services first - you don't have any stations to tune to otherwise.[/quote]
My apologies: I didn't say it - but I have done that. On all occasions.
Full scan.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 08:54

Does the scan find any services? They appear in the scan page as the scan proceeds.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:47

[quote="prl"]Does the scan find any services? They appear in the scan page as the scan proceeds.[/quote]
No, it didn't: it says it's FULL, but there are no columns under the TV and/or RADIO headings. I thought I remembered there should be...

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:00

m_r wrote:
prl wrote:Does the scan find any services? They appear in the scan page as the scan proceeds.
No, it didn't: it says it's FULL, but there are no columns under the TV and/or RADIO headings. I thought I remembered there should be...
Sounds like you need to check your antenna connections.

FULL means it is searching all possible frequencies so it will work wherever you are as long as you have a signal.
Cheers
Gully

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:04

[quote="Gully"][quote="m_r"][quote="prl"]Does the scan find any services? They appear in the scan page as the scan proceeds.[/quote]
No, it didn't: it says it's FULL, but there are no columns under the TV and/or RADIO headings. I thought I remembered there should be...[/quote]
Sounds like you need to check your antenna connections.

FULL means it is searching all possible frequencies so it will work wherever you are as long as you have a signal.[/quote]

Oh AAARGHH!!! - all I can do is check that the plug is in the wall. I'll do it, and promptly... other than that, it'll mean having a bloke come 'round.
I'm MOST GRATEFUL for your input - thanks very much indeed!

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:20

Hi, m_r. Please turn off "Disable BBCode in this post" in the options when you quote someone else's post. Then your quotes will work.

Are you actually starting a scan? You have to select Start Scanning and press OK on the remote to do the scan. Then the page will change, and show you the scan progress: the progress through the channels being scanned, and the names of the digital services found. It's what happens in that page that I was asking about.

Does your antenna setup work for your TV? If it does, it's probably a bit early to be calling the antenna technician.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:49

prl wrote:Hi, m_r. Please turn off "Disable BBCode in this post" in the options when you quote someone else's post. Then your quotes will work.

Are you actually starting a scan? You have to select Start Scanning and press OK on the remote to do the scan. Then the page will change, and show you the scan progress: the progress through the channels being scanned, and the names of the digital services found. It's what happens in that page that I was asking about.

Does your antenna setup work for your TV? If it does, it's probably a bit early to be calling the antenna technician.
Ah - Monsieur Peter of le Black Mountain! - I remember you from 'way back.
Sorry about the BBCode, whatever that is. It is now unchecked. Why can't I turn it OFF on the left of this page? - never mind...
(1) I am indeed starting a scan: I do select Start Scanning (the bloody machine insists I do it, anyway!) and press OK. I see no progress at all through channels, and that's what's had me puzzled, thinking I'm sure I remember that happening.
(2) Yes, the antenna plug in the wall is for my entire rack. Everything else is working fine: my other STB fires up without problem and allows me to watch the teev.
It's just the damned Beyonwiz that's stuck in this neverending loop. :-(

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 17:05

Hi, M_r. I just tried doing a full scan on my H1 with the antenna cable disconnected.

When I delete all my services and restart, my H1 goes immediately into the Service Scan page. If the I select Start Scanning and press OK on the remote I get a popup asking "All services will be removed. Continue?" If I then select Yes and press OK, it goes to the scan progress page and the channel number at the bottom right and the progress bar above it start updating. Of course, it doesn't find any digital services, but that's what I expect.

If I reconnect the antenna cable and scan, it all works normally.

What exactly happens when you select Start Scanning and press OK? You still haven't really said. "I think I'm sure" isn't quite there :)

You can set the defaults for the check boxes like "Disable BBCode in this post" by going to the selection bar at the top of any forum page and clicking on PROFILE. To enable BBCodes (like quotes), set "Always allow BBCode:" to Yes.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Sat Mar 26, 2011 18:24

[quote="prl"]Hi, M_r. I just tried doing a full scan on my H1 with the antenna cable disconnected.

When I delete all my services and restart, my H1 goes immediately into the Service Scan page. If the I select Start Scanning and press OK on the remote I get a popup asking "All services will be removed. Continue?" If I then select Yes and press OK, it goes to the scan progress page and the channel number at the bottom right and the progress bar above it start updating. Of course, it doesn't find any digital services, but that's what I expect.

If I reconnect the antenna cable and scan, it all works normally.

What [i]exactly[/i] happens when you select Start Scanning and press OK? You still haven't really said. "I think I'm sure" isn't quite there :)

You can set the defaults for the check boxes like "Disable BBCode in this post" by going to the selection bar at the top of any forum page and clicking on PROFILE. To enable BBCodes (like quotes), set "Always allow BBCode:" to Yes.[/quote]

That sounds EXACTLY like what's happening chez moi, Peter - down to the last detail. So how come the telly is working OK, I wonder...?
Anyway: my mate Nick who looks after my rack is going to have to cast his professional eye on things and find out what's happened to the antenna cable - nothing else to be done.
I am most grateful for your time and effort - truly!

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 18:27

OK, it sounds like a signal issue. Could be cabling or the Beyonwiz tuner. Cabling is probably more likely.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Sat Mar 26, 2011 19:17

prl wrote:OK, it sounds like a signal issue. Could be cabling or the Beyonwiz tuner. Cabling is probably more likely.
And I agree!
Nick has been summoned to view this thread! :-)
And then, of course, drop 'round to fix everything...
THANKS TO YOU BOTH!!!

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 21:21

Please, what was the resolution?
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 21:44

tonymy01 wrote:Please, what was the resolution?
I don't think we have one yet, just a strong suspicion on either the cabling to the H1 or its tuner.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Sun Mar 27, 2011 05:24

[quote="prl"][quote="tonymy01"]Please, what was the resolution?[/quote]
I don't think we have one yet, just a strong suspicion on either the cabling to the H1 or its tuner.[/quote]

Dunno what I didn't say to make it clear: but the fact is indeed that it's the cabling between the DP-H1 and the antenna. No problem with the amp, because I'm receiving a signal for the TV loud and clear via my other (Strong) STB.

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Sun Mar 27, 2011 08:18

I was sitting in a chair close by and at right-angles to my rack, mentally tearing my hair and wondering what had happened to change the status quo of the Beyonwiz in relation to the antenna, when my eye happened to fall on the bottom of the stand (an open box with top, middle shelf and base) that holds the amp, the DVD player, the DP-H1 and its data disk.
There I suddenly realised I was looking at - an unplugged cable. Just lying there. Coming from where I could not be sure (it's like a nest of mad snakes back there). But I kinda thought it was going to turn out to be...
YEP! - when I looked up the manual and found the diagram telling me that the hole at the back on the top left is ANT, and there was nothing plugged in to in... well, I plugged it in, that cable that had been lying there on the floor (so to speak).
I'm doing a full scan, now - and guess what? There's all this info. adding itself.
I'm not going to apologise, because I don't believe I could be expected to look for this kind of thing. And I'd hardly be expecting that the antenna cable would be unplugged and just lying around, would I?! I rely on a professional to keep everything plugged together.
:-\

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 27, 2011 09:29

m_r wrote:...
Dunno what I didn't say to make it clear: but the fact is indeed that it's the cabling between the DP-H1 and the antenna. No problem with the amp, because I'm receiving a signal for the TV loud and clear via my other (Strong) STB.
You missed the fact that you'd actually found the problem:
m_r wrote:That sounds EXACTLY like what's happening chez moi, Peter - down to the last detail. So how come the telly is working OK, I wonder...?
Anyway: my mate Nick who looks after my rack is going to have to cast his professional eye on things and find out what's happened to the antenna cable - nothing else to be done.
I am most grateful for your time and effort - truly!
There was never anything until the post after the one I'm replying to here to say that you'd actually found the problem and fixed it. So at the time I posted, all I had was the fact that I'd been able to reproduce what you had seen, not that that was the actual cause. The problem could also have been in your H1's tuner, or something else that I hadn't thought of.

Anyway, problem fixed, so all's well :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 09:42

Don't ya just love a happy ending? 8) 8)
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:03

I wrote the 'dunno'post at 5:24, yes? - and the discovery post after 8 this-morning.
See, fellers - I only solved the problem THIS-MORNING.
I didn't omit anything: just posted in order.
:-)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 27, 2011 14:59

m_r wrote:I wrote the 'dunno'post at 5:24, yes? - and the discovery post after 8 this-morning.
Yes, but you were asking about a post I made last night, at which time I obviously didn't know that you would find the cause of the problem the following morning. The regulars are often called on to have clairvoyant powers, but that one's beyond me.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Sun Mar 27, 2011 15:54

prl wrote:
m_r wrote:I wrote the 'dunno'post at 5:24, yes? - and the discovery post after 8 this-morning.
Yes, but you were asking about a post I made last night, at which time I obviously didn't know that you would find the cause of the problem the following morning. The regulars are often called on to have clairvoyant powers, but that one's beyond me.
I THINK the problem here is my posting of 5:24 this-morning, in which I 'identify' the problem as being the cabling. What I meant was that your empirical work had shown me as much - nothing more.
I can't work out what your reference to clairvoyance means - sorry. Apparently I've caused ire, and I have no idea why.
Apologies all around.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 27, 2011 16:09

Not cross, just puzzled by your postings. I didn't regard my testing as being definitive. I don't think a problem has been solved until the system actually works.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “DP-H1”