New USB HDD

Beyonwiz HD STB / Network Media Player.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

shanem2
Apprentice

New USB HDD

Post by shanem2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 20:57

I used to have a WD drive on my H1 and it recently failed. I've brought a new which I would like to try and copy movies too. I've first put it into the BeyonWiz and let it do it's thing. I've now taken it out but Windows can't see it. I understand it's EXT3 or an Unix format? What utility or process do I need to follow to use the drive a, as a tim-shift, recording drive. b, upload movies from the PC?

Any help would be appreciated.

prl
Wizard God

Re: New USB HDD

Post by prl » Mon Feb 07, 2011 21:25

shanem2 wrote:I used to have a WD drive on my H1 and it recently failed. I've brought a new which I would like to try and copy movies too. I've first put it into the BeyonWiz and let it do it's thing. I've now taken it out but Windows can't see it. I understand it's EXT3 or an Unix format? What utility or process do I need to follow to use the drive a, as a tim-shift, recording drive. b, upload movies from the PC?

Any help would be appreciated.
It is FAT32 format, but with a cluster size (512kiB) that is bigger than the maximum allowed in the FAT32 specification (32kiB). It can be read/written on Linux or OS X, but not on Windows.

Alternatively, you can just put the HDD on the Beyonwiz and use Windows sharing to either play the movies direct from the PC, or copy them from the PC to the Beyonwiz to play.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

shanem2
Apprentice

Post by shanem2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 22:12

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response. I used to play the movies from my NAS but we're in a rental currently and wireless to the Internet router, then Wireless again to the NAS isn't working too well. Hence the purchase of the HDD.

So if I plug the HDD into the BeyonWiz, can I copy from Windows to the HDD or do I need to copy from the Wiz to the HDD?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 08, 2011 08:29

shanem2 wrote:...
So if I plug the HDD into the BeyonWiz, can I copy from Windows to the HDD or do I need to copy from the Wiz to the HDD?
You need to set up a share on Windows containing the recordings you want to copy (or watch), then in SETUP>Network>Windows Sharing, set up the username and password you want to use to authenticate the Beyonwiz to the Windows Shares (this needs to be the username and password of a WIndows user with enough permission to access the share and the folders and files in it). If you don't set up a username/password, the Beyonwiz will connect as Guest, and will need yo have very open permissions on the share, and probably won't be able to write to the share.

Once you've set that up, go into FilePlayer>Network and press RED for Scan, and the Beyonwiz will try to find network shares that it has permission to access. Then you can navigate into the shares to play them, or to copy them to the Beyonwiz HDD. It may be worth trying to play directly over the network, but if that fails, copy then play should work, provided the movies are playable on the Beyonwiz.

This is all assuming that you want to register the HDD on the DP-H1 as a recording drive.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

shanem2
Apprentice

Post by shanem2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 14:50

Hi Peter,

I'm still struggling to get the Wiz to use the HDD. I've plugged it in and goto setup. Then system, HDD. Under register it can see it as 1862.4GB. It then registers fine.

If I goto file play, USB it shows as device0. It has the directory unit0_p1 which has the directory contents under it. It freezes if I try and go any further.

I've also tried to copy over the network but this also freezes.

Is there anyway to get large drives working with a H1?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 16:16

Sorry, no idea whether 2GB HDDs work on a H1. I just have 250GB. Is it mains powered (powerpack) or powered from the USB cable?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

shanem2
Apprentice

Post by shanem2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 20:22

Hi Peter, no probs. Got it working. The new 350 firmware must have something to support 2TB. I tried the new firmware after I saw that there is now a 2TB version of the P2 availbe.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Return to “DP-H1”