my machine not responding to remote

Beyonwiz HD STB / Network Media Player.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

m_r
Apprentice

my machine not responding to remote

Post by m_r » Sun May 23, 2010 22:34

and please don't suggest I replace the batteries in the remote: I've tried three different lots from three other remotes, all of which are working perfectly. But they are unable to effect functionality between the remote and the DP-H1.
WHAT IS HAPPENING?
It all started with audio going wonky from the left speaker, MONTHS ago; but a visiting techo could find nothing wrong with any plugs. The audio has continued to come and go in that speaker.
Tonight I switched on the 'record' function when the 'phone rang, and accepted it would run for well over the time I needed. So, using my other STB I watched TV (after finishing the call, that is!) and, well after the time the recording would've finished, tried to switch of the Beyonwiz. Didn't work. Decided I hadn't let it run long enough in record mode, so didn't try again for ages. Still couldn't turn it off. Looked for its plug and it seemed to be loose-ish, sort of, and when I looked at the front again the machine was re-booting, saying HDD reset was required. I reset: no problems. The machines rebooted. Tried to then turn it off, and guess what? - couldn't do it. Pulled the plug. Put it back in. Machine rebooted and required HDD reset - but this time, the remote couldn't even do that.
The bloody thing isn't responding to anything from the remote at all.
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. This machine is only a year old and hasn't been used all that much.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 23, 2010 22:40

Has the remote been switched to TV mode accidentally? In TV mode the TV button rather than the STB button will flash when you press the other remote buttons.

Have you removed the clear plastic film from the front panel? That can affect IR transmission to the sensor.

No idea which plug you meant when you said that there was a loose-ish plug.

Which firmware version are you running?

As for the audio problems, have you tried swapping the cables over between the left and right audio channels?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Mon May 24, 2010 07:07

This is a very difficult forum to deal with: when I go to 'post a reply' it gives me an entirely new window, removing the post I'm trying to reply to - so I can't be sure of what I want to say. Am I doing something wrong? - is there some way I can reply whilst having what it is I'm replying to still in front of me...?
Anyway...
Yes, I've pressed that TV button to be sure I'm in the correct mode.
The plug I was referring to is the actual power plug.
As for the audio, the highly expensive technician who cam knew what my problem is, and I can only assume that he knew what he was doing in terms of checking the leads.
The audio is the least of my problems, right now, though...
It's not that I'm ungrateful for your input: I'm fairly desperate, and VERY stressed...

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon May 24, 2010 08:40

Pressing the TV button is exactly what Peter/PRL asked that you should NOT have done.
You need to ensure the STB is pressed/selected and therefore lighting up when you press other buttons.
Post reply will not quote other messages as such, you have to click the little "quote" on a post to quote it before posting a reply. If you just need to read the questions but not necessarily want to quote them for us all (given we can read them all fine in this short thread) simply scroll down to below where you type the reply and you will see the last few posts of this thread.
Last edited by tonymy01 on Mon May 24, 2010 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon May 24, 2010 08:44

m_r wrote:This is a very difficult forum to deal with: when I go to 'post a reply' it gives me an entirely new window, removing the post I'm trying to reply to - so I can't be sure of what I want to say. Am I doing something wrong? - is there some way I can reply whilst having what it is I'm replying to still in front of me...?
If you want to quote and include a previous post, you can use the quote button at the top right of that post and then edit the bits you want to keep.

If you just want to see the earlier posts while replying, just scroll down the page and you can see them..
Cheers
Gully

download
Guru

Post by download » Mon May 24, 2010 08:52

Hi Mr,

First up. Definitely best to keep calm. :) If you start making random assumptions about what's wrong you're likely to keep having strange things occur. We don't know all the things you've done (or not done) so its best to be a bit methodical and try isolate the actual issue. It may be nothing to do with the remote.

Second, If you want to reply to a specific post you don't hit the POST REPLY button at the top of the page, you hit the QUOTE button besides the post you want. You can also always see a sub window under the posting window that you can scroll through all the previous posts.

Ok, so onto the machine. You've listed a number of issues, which might all be unrelated.

1) As you say we'll ignore the sound for the time being.

2) When you say you've "pushed the TV button" you actually have to push the STB button to change the remote to STB mode. It should flash red when you do it?

3) The loose plug is the power plug. In which case it would seem you wiggled it and cut the power and caused a reboot. Obviously make sure its all securely plugged in.

4) You can also safely turn off the BW just by pressing the big blue button on the front of the box. If a recording is still underway it will ask you if you want to shut down now or later (laterjust waits for the recording to finish)

5) Its always possible either the remote or the box has actually broken down. This happens sometimes, its just bad luck. We can look into that possibility after you've done whats written above.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Mon May 24, 2010 09:03

Second, If you want to reply to a specific post you don't hit the POST REPLY button at the top of the page, you hit the QUOTE button besides the post you want. You can also always see a sub window under the posting window that you can scroll through all the previous posts. <M.R.> thank-you - and to all of you who advised me about this,

2) When you say you've "pushed the TV button" you actually have to push the STB button to change the remote to STB mode. It should flash red when you do it? <M.R.> Yes, it flashed red: and nothing changed. I have pushed it several times, none of which has had any effect at all.

3) The loose plug is the power plug. In which case it would seem you wiggled it and cut the power and caused a reboot. Obviously make sure its all securely plugged in. <M.R.> Have done this.

4) You can also safely turn off the BW just by pressing the big blue button on the front of the box. If a recording is still underway it will ask you if you want to shut down now or later (laterjust waits for the recording to finish) <M.R.> !!! I didn't know this! - I haven't found it in the book... THANKS! I'm going to plug the BW back in right now, and use the big blue button to turn it off... (M.R. rushes away)
No, that didn't work. The set will not turn off by pressing the blue button. MAJOR problem, then...?
Last edited by m_r on Mon May 24, 2010 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Mon May 24, 2010 09:04

And I've just realised that the set is LESS THAN A YEAR OLD.
I bought it in early July, last year, to record Tour de France episodes.
So I must be under warranty: but I have no idea what to do about that, either. :-(

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon May 24, 2010 09:18

Hi M_r,

Ring Beyonwiz Australia / DPG promptly to discuss the problems and, if needed, arrange a warranty repair.

By the way, Tony it was Peter who pointed out the STB rather than TV remote control button issue.

Regards,
Ian.

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Mon May 24, 2010 09:25

Ring Beyonwiz Australia / DPG promptly to discuss the problems and, if needed, arrange a warranty repair.

Ian, if you can suggest to me where I find Beyonwiz' 'phone-number, I will most definitely call them in addition to the emails I've sent (to which I've had no answer so far).

But *I* can't find their 'phone-number anywhere!

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Mon May 24, 2010 09:27

But *I* can't find their 'phone-number anywhere![/quote]

I lied. I have just found it!

I really am under a great deal of stress, and I apologise for all stupidity.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 24, 2010 09:34

m_r wrote:And I've just realised that the set is LESS THAN A YEAR OLD.
I bought it in early July, last year, to record Tour de France episodes.
So I must be under warranty: but I have no idea what to do about that, either. :-(
If you want to talk to Beyonwiz Support, their contact information is on the Beyonwiz enquiry page. Calling their support line seems to be more effective for most people than using email.

When you power on the Beyonwiz, what is the sequence of messages you see on the front panel? Do you get the final front panel display showing the current live TV service, and do you get video? Audio? If you get video, can you change service by using the change channel buttons on the front panel (press the top of the outer ring to change channel up, the bottom to change down)?

Also, there's nothing particularly special about the quote button, all it does is wrap the text of an earlier post in a quote. You can copy/paste the quote markup to split up a quote so you can reply to individual parts of someone's post. Something like this:
prl wrote:When you power on the Beyonwiz, what is the sequence of messages you see on the front panel?
I get "Welcome" flashing, then...
prl wrote: Do you get the final front panel display showing the current live TV service, and do you get video?
Yes.
prl wrote:Audio?
Yes, audio is there.
prl wrote:If you get video, can you change service by using the change channel buttons on the front panel (press the top of the outer ring to change channel up, the bottom to change down)?
It makes the whole thing a lot easier to read. When you're doing this the Preview button can show you what the post will look like.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 24, 2010 09:44

m_r wrote:...
I really am under a great deal of stress, and I apologise for all stupidity.
If it's just the Beyonwiz causing the stress, then try not to. If the Beyonwiz goes back to DPG/Beyonwiz Australia for repairs, you'll be probably be without it for several weeks.

I still don't think that it's certain that that will be necessary.

The people who are responding to you are all Beyonwiz owners who have helped people on the forums with problems with their Beyonwizes many times over. If the questions seem to just keep coming, it's because there may be useful bits of information that you haven't noticed or didn't think were relevant.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

m_r
Apprentice

Post by m_r » Mon May 24, 2010 09:59

I spoke with Beyonwiz, and the bloke was very puzzled by the fact that the blue button wouldn't turn off the machine.
However, he feels that I might've pressed more than one button on the remote at a time, thus causing the machine to freeze.
Whatever I did, it's now working again.
Deo gratias.
Thank-you to everyone for your input.
Until early July, I shan't bother you again, but simply 'phone Beyonwiz.
Thereafter, I shall hope that no further problems raise their heads.

Return to “DP-H1”