H1 and usb HD

Beyonwiz HD STB / Network Media Player.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

rupert
Apprentice

H1 and usb HD

Post by rupert » Wed May 05, 2010 20:24

Hi

I recently bought a 1TB HD WD Elements for my H1. I formatted the drive on the H1 and registered it. All fine. I even recorded on it and played the file to make sure it works. All good. The next day I turned on the H1 and I can't see the usb any more. The HD does not automatically fire up when I turn the H1 on is that normal for an HD with no on off switch? When I disconnect and reconnect the HD at the usb so the HD fires I still cant see the HD on the H1? Have I picked the wrong HD to use? Any help would be appreciated. I trawl the forum on a regular basis but have not found a similar issue. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough? I am using the current Korean firmware release.

Regards

Rupert
P1

jillybean
Apprentice

Re: H1 and usb HD

Post by jillybean » Thu May 06, 2010 07:25

Did you have a read of the Compatible USB hard drives sticky? The WD Elements 1TB is listed as a drive that does not work. You may be able to use it via a powered usb hub as discussed in that thread.

Jill

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu May 06, 2010 18:48

Which drive is it? -
Elements SE USB-powered WDBABV0010ABK
or the Elements Desktop externally powered WDBAAU0010HBK

Try a different USB port, as on my S1 and P2 my 320GB Elements will only work in the rear port (perhaps more power is delivered to that port).

rupert
Apprentice

Post by rupert » Thu May 06, 2010 19:08

Thanks. Its the hbk cheap at HN. I cant believe it worked initially.
P1

jillybean
Apprentice

Post by jillybean » Fri May 07, 2010 06:53

rupert wrote:Thanks. Its the hbk cheap at HN. I cant believe it worked initially.
I had similar problems with a much smaller (320GB) version of the same drive - would work sometimes but not others. Even one of the two 250GB elements drives I have drops off the wiz at times if connected directly to a usb port. I finally opted for an old externally powered Maxtor OT4 drive as my H1 recording drive - although it means having another thing plugged in, at least I can be sure it will work when needed (and it powers on/off with the wiz). It's not just the wiz that has these issues though - my sister has a 'PVR ready' Strong box that she has the same problems with. She finally opted for a 1TB WD MyBook Essential ($129 Officeworks) which she says also powers on/off with whatever it is connected to.

Jill

rupert
Apprentice

Post by rupert » Fri May 07, 2010 18:54

thanks ok i might give that a go, the 1tb isn't on the approved list. Can I safely assume it works?

Regards

Rupert
P1

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri May 07, 2010 19:07

rupert wrote:thanks ok i might give that a go, the 1tb isn't on the approved list. Can I safely assume it works?
No you should never assume.

Also it is not an approved list, it is simply users sharing their experiences. So no approval or guarantees, just useful info.
Cheers
Gully

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri May 07, 2010 23:22

rupert wrote:...I formatted the drive on the H1 and registered it.
The next day I turned on the H1 and I can't see the usb any more. The HD does not automatically fire up when I turn the H1 on is that normal for an HD with no on off switch?
Do you give the drive enough time to fire up?
When I disconnect and reconnect the HD at the usb so the HD fires I still cant see the HD on the H1?
Are you detaching the USB HDD in the proper manner (RED 'Detach' button in device selection, unplug device, and then press 'OK')?

I have the same drive as you (WD 1TB Elements Desktop externally powered, WDBAAU0010HBK), but it's attached to either my S1 or P2. My experience is that left alone the drive will be available via the fle player a few seconds after the drive is selected. I can have the 'Wiz copying/moving files overnight to the USB HDD and have the 'Wiz power-down automatically at completion, then the next day the 'Wiz can fire up and the USB HDD will be available - no disconnecting/reconnecting required.

crippstor
Apprentice

Post by crippstor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 09:17

Have recently updated my H1with a WD Elements 250Gb drive attached, to firmware 334 and discovered that when selecting the recordings folder, I can highlight the folder but the the unit locks up and only a power off fixes the situation. A rollback to 320 fixed the issue and all recorded files are playable. I know the drive is working as after the firmware upgrade to 334 the EPG data was being cached correctly, however timers set did not fire. All timers on my P1 which was upgraded at the same time as with the same process worked flawlessly. Not sure if this is a H1 bug. Any advice welcome.
Cheers
DP-P1 in the lounge, DP-H1 in the master bedroom. Happy kids and Mrs Crippstor all around, and if Santa Beyonwiz brings out a new model, the P1 to the bedroom and the H1 to the man shed

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:08

crippstor wrote:Have recently updated my H1with a WD Elements 250Gb drive attached, to firmware 334 and discovered that when selecting the recordings folder, I can highlight the folder but the the unit locks up and only a power off fixes the situation. A rollback to 320 fixed the issue and all recorded files are playable. I know the drive is working as after the firmware upgrade to 334 the EPG data was being cached correctly, however timers set did not fire. All timers on my P1 which was upgraded at the same time as with the same process worked flawlessly. Not sure if this is a H1 bug. Any advice welcome.
Cheers
I assume this is a registered recording drive? I haven't had any problems with the recording drive on my H1 (WD MyBook Essential 250GB). Is the Elements drive bus-powered or externally powered? If bus powered, have you tried using a powered hub to see if that helps?

The only time I tried to use a WD Elements Portable 260GB (bus powered) HDD on either my S1 or H1, I couldn't access the drive at all.

Timers aren't held on the HDD. They're in the configuration flash. The EPG cache is on HDD. Did the timers actually fail to run, of did they fail because the HDD wasn't accessible?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

crippstor
Apprentice

Post by crippstor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:25

[quote="prl"[/quote]
I assume this is a registered recording drive? I haven't had any problems with the recording drive on my H1 (WD MyBook Essential 250GB). Is the Elements drive bus-powered or externally powered? If bus powered, have you tried using a powered hub to see if that helps?

The only time I tried to use a WD Elements Portable 260GB (bus powered) HDD on either my S1 or H1, I couldn't access the drive at all.

Timers aren't held on the HDD. They're in the configuration flash. The EPG cache is on HDD. Did the timers actually fail to run, of did they fail because the HDD wasn't accessible?[/quote]

Certainly is a registered recording drive and yes it is bus powered, however until I upgraded to 334 the drive worked flawlessly. It looks to me as if the timers failed to fire due to drive not being accessible, as I have set test timers since the roll back to 320 this morning and they worked as expected.
Not a big issue as for our needs and useage 334 does not bring anything extra that we can't live without on the H1, I just wondered if it was just my setup or if anyone else had experienced the same issue.
DP-P1 in the lounge, DP-H1 in the master bedroom. Happy kids and Mrs Crippstor all around, and if Santa Beyonwiz brings out a new model, the P1 to the bedroom and the H1 to the man shed

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:31

I can try going back to 320 on my H1 and see if it recognises the Elements drive to see if I can confirm the problem.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

crippstor
Apprentice

Post by crippstor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:40

prl wrote:I can try going back to 320 on my H1 and see if it recognises the Elements drive to see if I can confirm the problem.
Would certainly be interesting to see if your H1 can use an elements drive of that size with .320.
Mine has worked under every firmware we have used on the unit since we bought it in May 2009, as I have done updates every time a new public release came out.

DaNgLz
On probation

cannot record check HDD

Post by DaNgLz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 09:58

hi there first time poster here

recently i tried to connect my wd elements 500GB 3.5" powered drive to my DP-H1
with no success it would recognise the drive and format it would get stuck on checking the drive but would not record would just display cannot record check HDD after trauling the forums for answers i tried several different formats to no avail. finally in frustration i tried to roll back my firmware from 01.05.334 to the previous firmware and like magic it functions fully now.

Hope this helps someone else and thier frustrations

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10

Hi, DaNgLz. Welcome to the forum.

The problems with HDD formatting and checking with 01.05.334 on the H1 is documented in the H1-specific bugs list (bugs 4(a) and (b)). The bug reports link off to a topic with three pages of discussion about the problems.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:07

Hi Guys,
I've just purchased H1 and setup networking to P1 and NAS went well, but i'm also having hdd check issues. After reading several threads and the buglist, it appears a simple visit to beyonwiz.com site to revert back to .320 firmware from my current .334 is in order. Only problem is when i go to site and select H1 and .320 fw, when i click on download it doesn't download, it only takes me to an Oops it appears this link is broken page.
Can anyone help me out with DPH1 01.05.320 firmware?

Cheers,

Jo

P.S Sorry, i probably should've posted in the other thread i was looking at HDD Check fails

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:54

Update - I just tried to download S1, P2 and Lite fw, nothing works.

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 14:10

Update 2. One problem has been fixed. As stated, i still can't get my hands on fw .320 and therefore still have hdd issues. But i've managed to fix my icetv issues. After spending over an hour reading up on why my P1 and H1 suddenly couldn't access icetv, making sure all my lan settings were correct (i could access wiztv on both) i finally admitted defeat and rang icetv tech support. He was very nice but vague about a "something wrong" at their end. "try it now" he says, and voila, everything was working again. I wonder if it had anything to do with my subscription renewal the other day as i had to send them a message to add 2 years not 1?? :?

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 14:27

If you PM me your email address, I'll send you the .zip file (approx 7K)
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 14:32

PM sent
Thanks in advance

Ok. Weird. Sent PM an hour ago then checked and nothing in either sent/outbox. Sent another. Sorry if i doubled up Paul55 :oops:

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Nov 28, 2010 16:48

Buffy71 wrote:Update - I just tried to download S1, P2 and Lite fw, nothing works.
It's been posted several times on the forum that the downloads from Beyonwiz Corporate are broken. They have been for about a week. I've posted a couple of times about it on the beta forum.

Ring Beyonwiz and let them know that you wanted to download 320, and couldn't because their downloads page in Korea is broken. They may give you a copy of 346 :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 17:52

Thanks prl, i'll give them a call tomorrow.
I spent hours trawling the forum today, troubleshooting a couple of problems and didn't come across the threads mentioning the corporate site problem.

Surprising because I feel like i've read through the entire site today! :D (thanks icetv!!)

Perhaps I should've searched for Beyonwiz corporate broken? :wink:

regards,
Jo

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 19:12

Thanks to Paul55 for sending me .320 It allowed me to register my ext HDD with no probs.

Couldn't resist though after prl's advice, I rang beyonwiz tech support and got .346 sent out :lol:

BP3
Master

Post by BP3 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 20:18

prl wrote:Hi, DaNgLz. Welcome to the forum.

The problems with HDD formatting and checking with 01.05.334 on the H1 is documented in the H1-specific bugs list (bugs 4(a) and (b)). The bug reports link off to a topic with three pages of discussion about the problems.
I wish I read this earlier - I would have saved some time. I have had 334 on my H1 since is was released with no problems, so I did not suspect there was a bug with this firmware when it would no longer talk to the USB HDD after a disc check. I Reloaded 334, changed HDDs, reformated many times to no avail and was coming to the concluson there was a hardware fault in the usb. Finally - loading an older version, then a disc check fixed the problem.
DP-P2
T3-500
U4-1TB

Return to “DP-H1”