H1 external USB HDD - seeing it in Windows

Beyonwiz HD STB / Network Media Player.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Ade
Apprentice

H1 external USB HDD - seeing it in Windows

Post by Ade » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:35

Hello - sorry if this is the wrong thread - I've been trawling through and can't seem to find an answer to my query.
I have a H1 and connected to it is an NTFS external HDD and a HDD formatted by the H1.
I understand this is a variant of FAT32, but for Linux - possibly the EXT2 file system? Is that so?
Is it possible to use a program like EXT2IFS so that the Beyonwiz formatted HDD could be seen and written to by a windows PC running XP?
Also, if that is possible what is the maximum file size I would put on it? With NTFS I can have very large files say 9GB plus ISO files.
Most grateful for advice - and apologies if this is the wrong place or already answered.
Regards
A.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:24

A normal HDD to be used as an external drive on the Wiz is formatted as bog stock FAT32.
A HDD registered as a recording drive is formatted as FAT32 with cluster sizes bigger than windows can read.
FAT32 != EXT2. (!= is "not equals").
Dunno if you can make windows read FAT32 disks with non-windows standard cluster sizes. Linux will read it (you can get linux running on a windows computer using various different techniques, including booting off a live CD, running free VMWARE and running Linux within VMWARE, possibly cygwin will read it etc). Just because Linux can read something and windows can't, doesn't mean that it is a EXT2 filesystem. It just means Linux is more flexible than Bill Gates' dream :-). It is FAT32, that is why we write FAT32 :-).
I would not recommend unplugging a registered recording drive from a H1. I don't have a H1 myself, but would think that if the Wiz booted up for, say, a timer, and couldn't find the registered recording drive, it would have some problems.
Regards
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:32

It's been said many times and in many places. If you format a USB HDD on the H1 (or any other Beyonwiz model), it formats the drive as a single volume, and the volume contains a completely normal FAT32 file system. However, a DP-H1 can't record to a volume formatted this way.

If you register a USB drive for recording on a H1, it formats the drive as a single volume, and the volume contains a FAT32 file system whose cluster size (512kiB) is much larger than the maximum legal cluster size for FAT32 (32kiB). This disk can be used to record on a DP-H1. It can be accessed for both reading and writing on other Beyonwiz models, on Linux PCs and on Mac OS X. It can't be accessed on a Windows PC, which adheres strictly to the 32kiB cluster size limit.

As Tony has indicated, if you have active timers, it's not a good idea, for obvious resons, to have the recording drive disconnected when the timer fires. But apart from warning messages when you create a timer, as far as I know, nothing else bad happens if you have timers set, but no recording drive.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Ade
Apprentice

Post by Ade » Mon Apr 27, 2009 15:06

Tony, Prl - many thanks for your prompt answers which explain all. I'm now inspired to run Linux on that old PC.
BTW - will the HDD formatted on the H1 cope with a 5 BG file? Eg - an ISO file?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Apr 27, 2009 15:20

Ade wrote:Tony, Prl - many thanks for your prompt answers which explain all. I'm now inspired to run Linux on that old PC.
BTW - will the HDD formatted on the H1 cope with a 5 BG file? Eg - an ISO file?
No, the increase in cluster size doesn't affect the 4GB file size limit on FAT32. As far as I know, the 4GB file size limit comes about because the file size metadata in a FAT32 directory entry is 32 bits long. That is unchanged in a Beyonwiz recording drive.

Recordings made on the Beyonwiz aren't limited by this because the recording format splits the recording into smaller files, each no bigger than 32MB. If you copy a media file to a HDD on the Beyonwiz, using the Beyonwiz for the copy, the 4GB limit doesn't apply either, because the copying process splits the media file into files no bigger than 1GB.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “DP-H1”