H1 with 2 x USB HDD

Beyonwiz HD STB / Network Media Player.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Paul55
Wizard

H1 with 2 x USB HDD

Post by Paul55 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 22:08

This is from one of my posts in the Compatibility section of the forum. Thought it was relevant to this section.
I have recently added a USB powered portable HDD (Verbatim 120gb) to my H1 to enable quick transfers to my PC. Other system details contained in my signature. The system has been working properly with only the 'registered' HDD (mains powered) connected since I reverted to the 247 firmware.
Now for the bad news. With the Verbatim (portable) drive connected:
When waking from standby for a programmed recording, an error message appears and the unit won't respond to the remote. Need to remove the portable drive and then turn off from front switch. Restart and the program starts recording. Normal activation works fine.
As I only got the portable drive for file transfers to/from the Wiz, I was not too concerned as I can leave it disconnected until transfers are required - not ideal, but workable.
However, when I try to copy a file from device 0 (the 'registered' recording drive) I select the file, press pop-up button, choose Copy To, press OK and 'appear' to have the choice of NETWORK or USB. But it won't let me navigate to USB . Selecting COPY TO NETWORK comes up with expected options.
BTW, when attempting this, I've restarted with both drives connected (also tried connecting the portable drive while running) and can 'see' both drives and relevant directories in File Player.
I'm sure I am using the correct procedure so there must be something wrong with my machine. Any help appreciated.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

prl
Wizard God

Re: H1 with 2 x USB HDD

Post by prl » Tue Sep 09, 2008 23:15

Paul55 wrote:This is from one of my posts in the Compatibility section of the forum. Thought it was relevant to this section.
I have recently added a USB powered portable HDD (Verbatim 120gb) to my H1 to enable quick transfers to my PC. Other system details contained in my signature. The system has been working properly with only the 'registered' HDD (mains powered) connected since I reverted to the 247 firmware.
Now for the bad news. With the Verbatim (portable) drive connected:
When waking from standby for a programmed recording, an error message appears and the unit won't respond to the remote. Need to remove the portable drive and then turn off from front switch. Restart and the program starts recording. Normal activation works fine.
As I only got the portable drive for file transfers to/from the Wiz, I was not too concerned as I can leave it disconnected until transfers are required - not ideal, but workable.
However, when I try to copy a file from device 0 (the 'registered' recording drive) I select the file, press pop-up button, choose Copy To, press OK and 'appear' to have the choice of NETWORK or USB. But it won't let me navigate to USB . Selecting COPY TO NETWORK comes up with expected options.
BTW, when attempting this, I've restarted with both drives connected (also tried connecting the portable drive while running) and can 'see' both drives and relevant directories in File Player.
I'm sure I am using the correct procedure so there must be something wrong with my machine. Any help appreciated.
Unfortunately copying from USB drive to USB drive on the H1 has never worked.

Beyonwiz have said on the beta forum that copying has been fixed so that the H1 has the same functionality as the other models, but a beta with that fix has not yet been released.

The only way to get recordings off the H1 is by copying to a network share, but that function is broken in 261, but should work now that you have reverted to 247.

I have been able to run my H1 with two HDDs attached, so it is possible to do it (I have a WD Essentials 250GB recording drive and I attached a WD Home edition 500GB drive as well). I'm not sure why the second drive is causing the problems you see (apart from not being able to do the copy).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 18:56

Thanks for the response Peter.
I'm having trouble reconciling your two comments.
Unfortunately copying from USB drive to USB drive on the H1 has never worked.
I have been able to run my H1 with two HDDs attached, so it is possible to do it (I have a WD Essentials 250GB recording drive and I attached a WD Home edition 500GB drive as well).
So you are saying your H1 runs with 2 x USB HDD?
Are you able to copy between them?
Are they connected to a USB port each? or daisy chained?
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 21:57

He is saying that you can't copy between both drives, but you can bootup the H1 with both drives (i.e. you can read from the second drive fine).
Regards
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Sep 10, 2008 22:13

Paul55 wrote:...
Are they connected to a USB port each? or daisy chained?
They were connected one per port. You can't daisy-chain USB devices. However, if you want to connect more drives, the Beyonwiz firmware supports hubs:[quote=""Dave?""]the beyonwiz does support USB hubs, and multiple USB drives/cards connected to it (providing enough power is supplied to the drives attached). If I remember correctly I had 5 drives connected at once (using a Hub) and my S1 could see and access all of them.[/quote]
That's for the S1, not the H1, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work for the H1 recording drive, but it should work for normal drives.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 17:21

prl wrote: I'm not sure why the second drive is causing the problems you see (apart from not being able to do the copy).
Oddly, it's only a problem when the H1 'wakes up' for a timer recording. Starting it manually with 2 drives is fine.

Beyonwiz have said on the beta forum that copying has been fixed so that the H1 has the same functionality as the other models
Hopefully, this will solve my problems.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 17:39

Paul55 wrote:
prl wrote: I'm not sure why the second drive is causing the problems you see (apart from not being able to do the copy).
Oddly, it's only a problem when the H1 'wakes up' for a timer recording. Starting it manually with 2 drives is fine.
Ah. I've never tried it in that way. I'll see if I can reproduce it on my setup.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “DP-H1”