Not quite there yet!

Feedback and Suggestions for Beyonwiz can be posted here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

wazandnat
Apprentice

Not quite there yet!

Post by wazandnat » Sun Jun 10, 2007 09:37

Hi guys

I am currently looking for a replacement for my media centre as I find it is very time consuming to maintain and not reliable enough. As I already have a subscription to IceTV, the beyonwiz looked like the prefect replacement. From what I have read on this forum and elsewhere, it seems there are a number of bugs that really should be working especially considering the price. I think I will be waiting until the new firmware is released and fixes are confirmed before committing to this unit.

With that said I think that if it had a DVD burner instead of just a player it would be irresistable. Even with the bugs. Something for the designers to think about! Although I am sure they already have.

I would welcome any comments or arguments against!

Regards
Warren

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:53

Hi Warren,

I prefer to look at my Beyonwiz as relatively bug free but with a few features missing.

I accept that people have found some faults with the unit but I think it is significant to realise that this unit is still on its initial release firmware. Bugs are quite few given the feature list of this unit. I believe that most of the DP-S1 bugs found are not real "show stoppers". Let us re-visit this question over the next few firmware releases, I suspect that the discovered bugs will be addressed quickly and new features will be added progressively.

Regarding a DVD burner, what is to say that this can't be possible with an external USB burner. If not, when file moves become possible then files can be copied to a PC, edited / cleaned up and then saved to a burner attached to the PC. What you want to achieve is within the expected features and plans for this unit.

By all means, wait for new firmware before making your choice but to think that the Beyonwiz DP-S1 is bug ridden is not, in my opinion, an accurate view.

Regards,
Ian.

wazandnat
Apprentice

Post by wazandnat » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:35

Thanks for the comments Ian.

I realise this is the first release and I guess I my comments may seem harsh considering I don't even own one. The issues I have with the unit seem to be more to do with things it can't do yet than the things it says it can. From all reports it does these very well. It would be nice if it was all it can be the first time around.

It is still at the top of my list as a suitable replacment and will be keeping a close eye on the progress.

Regards
Warren

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sun Jun 10, 2007 19:20

Warren, while I respect your opinion and your right to voice it I feel that you are being overly harsh in your assumption that the bw is bug ridden.

Like any product that has an internet community you'll find that 95% of posts are problem related. People just don't bother posting when everything is working correctly. You can judge how good or bad a product is by the number of posts - rather than the content of the posts. So by the small number of posts here and on the DTV forum you can tell that 99% of bw owners are not having any problems at all. In contrast, the topfield 7000 forum is so active it's hard to keep up.

IMHO the bw has got to be THE most bug-free PVR ever released - including all the available SD PVRs. Other HD PVRs, even months after being released, haven't even come close to being as bug-free as the bw currently is.

But I'm certain that the implementation of the currently missing features will introduce a few new bugs. Hopefully these will be sorted out quickly.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

SimonB
Master

Post by SimonB » Sun Jun 10, 2007 22:28

Dave? wrote: IMHO the bw has got to be THE most bug-free PVR ever released - including all the available SD PVRs. Other HD PVRs, even months after being released, haven't even come close to being as bug-free as the bw currently is.
Yup, I agree with you Dave?, I am still being pleasantly surprised at the small number of bugs.

The only things that really get me at the moment are cosmetic or features that are lacking functionality.
Dave? wrote: But I'm certain that the implementation of the currently missing features will introduce a few new bugs. Hopefully these will be sorted out quickly.
Ooor, I hope not. But, you'll probably be right. However, if the current invocation is worth anything and indications that BW are watching, I too hope that they're sorted out quickly.

Perhaps they'll be keeping the Beta team active?

Simon....

wazandnat
Apprentice

Post by wazandnat » Tue Jun 19, 2007 22:13

Well I think I will have to eat humble pie. I managed to find a unit on ebay and bought it for just under $1300. I think your strong defence of the product convinced me to give it ago. Now at least I should be able to form a more informed opinion. Still waiting for it in the post.

Thanks again for the comments.

Regards
Warren

Javelyn
Apprentice

Post by Javelyn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 23:40

wazandnat wrote:Well I think I will have to eat humble pie. I managed to find a unit on ebay and bought it for just under $1300. I think your strong defence of the product convinced me to give it ago. Now at least I should be able to form a more informed opinion. Still waiting for it in the post.

Thanks again for the comments.

Regards
Warren
Hey Wazandnat

Saw that you picked up the BW from the Ebay link in DVT Forum. Good price! Hope it goes well for you. Sent you a message from eBay to go to these forums for tips and tricks but I now see that you're already here.

I'm very happy with my unit. It was the good advice from these forums that convinced me to go with the BW after considering the Toppy 7000PVRt.

Cheers
Javelyn

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”