Here is a list of suggestions after 2 weeks of using DP-S1

Feedback and Suggestions for Beyonwiz can be posted here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

vvulture
Apprentice

Here is a list of suggestions after 2 weeks of using DP-S1

Post by vvulture » Fri Feb 22, 2008 17:47

Ok.
Here is what i think should be implemented :

- Ability to send a remote shutdown command to another BW if needed. I have 2 DP-S1's ( one in bedroom and one in loungeroom ) and it would be helpfull if i could tell the unit in the loungeroom to shutdown ( or vice versa )

- A rear connector that could be used for powering up external USB hard drives so that they turn off at the same time as the BW. My USB external drive keeps spinning after i turn off my BW. ( Might modify my BW myself in trade for my warranty.. oh well )

- Support for transferring files from PC to BW external storage devices and internal HDD via LAN.

- The guide needs to record on a SHOW basis rather than TIME basis. Let me know if you need explainning on this one...

- The GUI needs to be polished as it is hard on the eyes... Some things are very hard to read.

Thank you for reading.. :D

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Feb 23, 2008 00:49

Your ideas are good ones, but as with anything non-trivial, there are a number of use cases that need to be considered before the ideas can be implemented.

Remote shutdown - what happens if person A is watching a show in the loungeroom and person B in the bedroom sends a shutdown command to the device in the loungeroom? I know I would be pretty upset if the box just turned off because my wife decides it's "sleepy time." :o

Sounds like you just bought the wrong USB enclosure for your external HDD. Most of the better enclosures can detect when the host has gone off line and power/spin down the HDD.

Being able to use the Beyonwiz as a NAS server (i.e. providing network access to all the hard disks) is a good idea. It does not exactly fit in with the core functionality that Beyonwiz are focused on at this time, but it is certainly something that would be in the scope of projects such as http://www.openwiz.org/

There are many, many ways of dealing with guide and other metadata. There are also a lot of different ways of making such information accessible to the user - this is where UI design skills come in and where endless possibilities come out. The best way to address the various desires for GUI improvements is to make the platform open to persons who have the inclination to develop improved user interfaces. I have been lobbying for opening up of the platform for over a year now. Perhaps if more people explained to Beyonwiz what kind of customisations they wish to make to their PVR, Beyonwiz could get a better idea of what is needed to be available to GUI designers.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Re: Here is a list of suggestions after 2 weeks of using DP

Post by prl » Sat Feb 23, 2008 09:24

vvulture wrote:...
- A rear connector that could be used for powering up external USB hard drives so that they turn off at the same time as the BW. My USB external drive keeps spinning after i turn off my BW. ( Might modify my BW myself in trade for my warranty.. oh well )
There's no need to modify the BW to do this. I've used this USB-controlled mains power board to power down the peripherals on my Mac; other Beyonwiz owners have used it to control the power to other devices from their Beyonwiz. It just senses the USB +5V to control the mains on the board, and feeds the USB signals through, so you don't have to dedicate a USB port to just controlling power. The only downside is the cost ~$40.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

brchi17
Apprentice

Post by brchi17 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 08:57

not sure if this is the right place, but I'd love to be able to edit recorded files on my machine (DP-S1) as I find I set the timer to record programs for longer than I need so I don't miss any of I what to watch, but in doing so I'm wasting a lot of HD space, so being able to crop or edit out the bits either side of what I've recorded would be rather handy.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Mar 24, 2008 09:03

Hi Brchi17,

Welcome!
brchi17 wrote:not sure if this is the right place, but I'd love to be able to edit recorded files on my machine (DP-S1) as I find I set the timer to record programs for longer than I need so I don't miss any of I what to watch, but in doing so I'm wasting a lot of HD space, so being able to crop or edit out the bits either side of what I've recorded would be rather handy.
Please look in the FAQ for instructions on upgrading your firmware. When you upgrade to the latest version 01.05.197 (the end of December 2007 update) you will find that the editing functions have been enabled. Search this forum for tips on their use.

Regards,
Ian.

brchi17
Apprentice

Post by brchi17 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 09:59

cool, thanks very much Ian, I'll grab the update then & give it a whirl
cheers,
Brad
T4 1TB
Panasonic 47inch LED LCD
Bose Lifestyle 535
WD My Book Live Duo 4TB