Wishlist for Next PVR?

Feedback and Suggestions for Beyonwiz can be posted here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

domesticman
On probation

Wishlist for Next PVR?

Post by domesticman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 13:33

An UHD PVR with internal 3 or 4 tuner, with an internal HDD, USB as a secondary.

Maybe even an external input from Foxtel or Fetch? With apps available for streaming, Streaming services with Netflix, STAN etc.
Everyone else has got these option now.

Currently a flimsy tuner setup. As you need at least 3-4 tuner with the current channels available.
No HDD etc

Unfortunate Beyonwiz is not even recognised anymore a top PVR anymore on any review site. This is a real shame, Since once upon a time it was the best option in the market.
And excuse is they are keeping costs down.

Not great at all. I’m sure we would pay a little extra for a quality product. Am starting to look elsewhere.
But still holding out hope.

I am wondering if anyone at Beyonwiz is listening?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Wishlist for Next PVR?

Post by MrQuade » Tue Dec 10, 2019 15:16

domesticman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 13:33
I am wondering if anyone at Beyonwiz is listening?
I'm sure they are. But as you say, it simply boils down to dollars.

Everyone wants a unit that does it all, but the cost of developing and supporting those features, along with the material cost for advanced and potentially bespoke components needs to be balanced against the number of folks who will be willing to fork out money for that. The fewer units sold, the higher the per-unit cost needs to be.

Supporting all that advanced functionality would not be cheap, and a lot of that responsibility would be in the hands of upstream manufacturers to keep their software and drivers up to date.

You're not alone, that's for sure, I'd like to see a V2 with at least an internal HDD, but I think that the number of people willing to fork out money for broadcast television is probably dwindling faster than any of us realise.

I have no idea of the actual numbers, but if I was to guess, you'd probably be staring down the barrel of upwards of $1000 for such a beast even in the PVR heyday when consumer demand was higher.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

domesticman
On probation

Post by domesticman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 16:45

I definitely agree with you, its not possible to have everything.
Actually I'm a components guy. I prefer a dedicated Bluray player, dedicated PVR etc. i just want it to be done well.

A similar product from Panasonic (if I'm allowed to mention this) have a 3x HD tuner (with 4K upscaling) 3D Bluray player for $899 (retail). And it had a 3D player as well.

I would be happy with the current offering if they would include

An internal HDD option (Happy to install my own)
3x tuner 4K if possible
with install-able apps (their plugins leave a little to be desired)

Does not seem unreasonable to me from Beyonwiz. And am sure this wouldn't run at more than 300-$400 considering what is on the market presently. I think there are enough dedicated fans of their unit to sustain this.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Dec 10, 2019 21:16

I think that only having external drives (apart from the microSD card) in the V2 was a poor choice.

I think that it's likely that we'll see more models with external tuner options (all models except the T4 can take at least 1 external tuner). Doing it that way means that the same model can be sold at different price points depending on how many tuners are added. Light users can get a 2-tuner model; power users can get a 4-tuner model.

However, if that's the path, the external tuners need to be reliable and well-integrated, and that hasn't always been the case with the USB tuners that Beyonwiz offers.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Dec 10, 2019 21:27

prl wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 21:16
However, if that's the path, the external tuners need to be reliable and well-integrated, and that hasn't always been the case with the USB tuners that Beyonwiz offers.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:wink:

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Wed Dec 11, 2019 08:13

A HDMI in is the big item missing from the V2 that is currently stopping me from a purchase.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Dec 11, 2019 08:39

As an aside on having the number of tuners to suit the user - the old T3 had socketed tuners, and could run with 1-3 tuners, and have a mix of FTA/cable/satellite tuners, but Beyonwiz never sold it with anything other than 3 FTA tuners.

The V2 has a dual tuner module whose tuners can be used for both FTA (DVB-T2) and cable (DVB-C).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Wed Dec 11, 2019 09:46

I don’t know what happened to my last post but I’ll try again.
prl wrote:
I think that only having external drives (apart from the microSD card) in the V2 was a poor choice.
I agree. It was one of the main reasons why I got one of the last U4s instead of a V2.
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

martbd
Apprentice

Post by martbd » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:13

With the external tuners with a pass through to the TV the antenna socket , so there is room for the TV to directly plug into antenna socket so can tuners to the Beyonwiz PVR.

martbd
Apprentice

Post by martbd » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:21

How would the Beyonwiz unencrypt the Foxtel or Fetch recording without a card?

martbd
Apprentice

Post by martbd » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:38

prl wrote:

I think that it's likely that we'll see more models with external tuner options (all models except the T4 can take at least 1 external tuner). Doing it that way means that the same model can be sold at different price points depending on how many tuners are added. Light users can get a 2-tuner model; power users can get a 4-tuner model.

All modern TVs have a built in tuner so any new model of Beyonwiz would need to have a pass through so can still use it even when have 4 tuners installed on your Beyonwiz PVR.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Dec 27, 2019 13:19

Noone makes a USB tuner with passthrough afaik.

If the next wiz has four internal tuners then it would be likely to support passthrough like the existing internal tuners.

I personally prefer to split externally and not use any of the internal passthroughs (better performance), but understand you can end up with fewer cables by doing it the other way.

paullings
Master

Post by paullings » Sun Jan 05, 2020 14:30

I'll add my opinion to domesticman's for a high end PVR from Beyonwiz.
On my wish list would be :
1. At least 4 tuners internal if possible as per the T4
2. Internal hard drive
3. Front panel display as per the T4. I can't read the display on my U4 from where I sit.
4. Remote as per the T3
5. I can live with an external power supply.
6. Good quality components.
Pretty sure this will never happen but you can hope.

And yes I would be prepared to pay for this. My U4 and T3 are in constant use and I'm not sure the V2 is a suitable replacement machine. I don't have any streaming services and we find enough on FTA to watch.

The reason the Beyonwiz's are great machines is the great work the people on this forum put in.
Robert

U4 2TB (Jan 2018) 19.3.20211010 , HDMI
T3 1TB (Dec 2014) 19.3.20211010 , Front Panel 20057, HDMI, Warkus'd 2018 & still going
IceTV, Series2Folder, OverlayHD 1.70
Samsung 55"OLED TV, Apple TV, ReadyNAS 214, Sonos Arc, Harmony Ultimate One
Windows 10

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 15:08

paullings wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 14:30
2. Internal hard drive
3. Front panel display as per the T4. I can't read the display on my U4 from where I sit.
4. Remote as per the T3

And yes I would be prepared to pay for this. My U4 and T3 are in constant use and I'm not sure the V2 is a suitable replacement machine. I don't have any streaming services and we find enough on FTA to watch.

The reason the Beyonwiz's are great machines is the great work the people on this forum put in.

Getting there but my millionaire's wishlist would add:

7. HDMI IN recording at 1080p minimum; and
8. Option for a 5th USB tuner so I can record all the FTA networks without any fear of conflicts!

I would add a qualification that the internal tuners be high sensitivity types to minimize reception issues. This is a frequently raised issue with wizzes: the tuners are passable but not outstanding.

Like paullings, I am not into streaming to any great extent but when I do, I use a dongle via HDMI IN. The existing wiz dongle is very buggy and would probably just upgrade the TV for that functionality.

We can only dream :P
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jan 05, 2020 15:45

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 15:08
8. Option for a 5th USB tuner so I can record all the FTA networks without any fear of conflicts!
The V2 can actually record from 5 if I recall correctly, however you don't have live viewing capability at that point.

We have 6 broadcasters in Perth too, so that's not quite enough here ;)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jan 05, 2020 15:53

paullings wrote:

I'd prefer that. Even better would be a Full Band Tuner, where only one tuner would be needed, but I don't think that there is any such thing yet for FTA.

However, the trend seems to be away from SoC support for 4 tuners, so it may be that the T4 will be the only Beyonwiz with 4 internal tuners. Another trend seems to be to be to reduce the number of similar models (like the T2/T3/T4) and then allow optioning on HDD and number of tuners, the latter by using external tuners.

The T3 had socketed tuners and could run with 0-3 tuners, but Beyonwiz never sold it other than with a full complement of tuners.
paullings wrote:
2. Internal hard drive

Agreed. I'm not sure where Beyonwiz is heading there. I just hope that the consequences of the V2's HDD arrangement cause enough support calls to discourage them from that direction. Or they find a way to make USB HDD naming in the system consistent and reliable.

While the V2's small box may have some appeal, once you add the clutter of an external HDD, much of that appeal goes out the window.

One useful feature of the V2, at least from a dev's perspective, is its multiboot capability. My test V2 can boot into any of Beyonwiz firmware, OpenViX or OpenATV, though this can't be managed from within the Beyonwiz firmware. Being able to multiboot into either Beyonwiz official or beta at will would also be useful, though I'm not sure whether that can be done (haven't tried it).
paullings wrote:

I agree that the T4 front panel is the most flexible of all the Beyonwiz models, but your imagination shouldn't be limited by the T4's capabilities. There are products out there already that have color OLED front panels.

paullings wrote:
4. Remote as per the T3

I agree that the T3's remote is the best of all of them, though the V2 remote isn't too bad, and the U4's is OK (same shell as the DP series remotes).

I really dislike the T4 remote, especially for the fact that its "helpful" button illumination only comes on after you've pressed a button, but I also think that it's bulky and boxy. The T4 remote also seems to have (reportedly) dreadful battery lifetime. The T2 remote is almost as bad, but it at least doesn't have the keypad illumination.
paullings wrote:

I prefer an external power supply. There have been few reports of dodgy external power supplies, especially compared to the ill-fated T3 PS. If one goes bad, you can easily replace it with whatever suitably spec'd power supply you prefer. You can only repair or junk failed power supplies in models with built-in power supplies.
paullings wrote:

+many. Can anyone say "T3 power supply" or "T4 tuner regulator heat sink design and thermal cement selection"?

And if external tuners are to become the "new black", they need to work reliably with the hardware & firmware. Not like some combinations I could mention.
paullings wrote:

Beyonwiz is a little limited in what they can offer. They seem to have gone away completely from the proprietary build of the DP series to OEM devices. Now, they're limited to product choices where the OEM is willing to accept Beyonwiz's small order sizes.

However, I think that they do try to look at user preferences, but frequent forum posters' preferences may not coincide with those of the "average" user, whatever that is. The Beyonwiz boxes (along with all the other enigma2 PVRs out there) tend to be a bit "by techheads, for techheads".

paullings wrote:

I'm not sure why you'd discount the V2 unless you need HDMI input or want to have all of external tuner, HDD and WiFi (you can have that, but you'd need to add a USB hub). Like the U4, it can only have 4 tuners by the addition of USB tuners, but the Hauppauge dual tuner means that you can have 4 tuners and only 1 USB slot for the tuner.

The other downside of the V2 is its counterintuitive behaviour if you boot it with the recording HDD in the USB slot and another USB HDD in the USB2 slot.

The V2 also has a very responsive UI, better even than the U4. It's also the fastest to boot and to restart the GUI. That's why I do as much of my dev testing as possible on my test V2.
paullings wrote:

Perhaps, but there's another, larger, open source community behind all that, too.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jan 05, 2020 15:54

MrQuade wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 15:45

Let's hear it for Full Band Tuners, then! :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 18:41

prl wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 15:54
MrQuade wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 15:45

Let's hear it for Full Band Tuners, then! :)

+1
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Mon Jan 06, 2020 08:52

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 15:08
I would add a qualification that the internal tuners be high sensitivity types to minimise reception issues. This is a frequently raised issue with wizzes: the tuners are passable but not outstanding.
Probably more important is inter-modulation performance.

The original DP series tuners were actually quite sensitive but could not cope with differing signal levels. The later generation offerings are somewhat better but still not from the optimal design school.

For Full Band tuners, inter-modulation performance, is the Achilles heal. With satellite usage you have a pile of channels, all from the one satellite, all about the same level, so no issue. With terrestrial VHF we have the 5 distinct TV broadcasters, plus a host of other VHF services like aircraft and FM radio all jazzing the spectrum. And from this a single DSP needs to extract the desired set of signals.

maverick#1
Apprentice

Post by maverick#1 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 22:09

I think my T3 has developed the power supply issue. When it worked properly, it took forever to boot up so I'd love to replace it with a faster PVR but I just can't bring myself to buy a V2. I've gone back to my trusted old P2 instead.

The biggest issue with the V2 for me is the external HD. I just won't buy a PVR with an external HD.

And there's only 2 USB ports. With an external HD using the the USB3 port, there's no spare high speed port to copy recordings off the main HD unless you use a USB hub, but that then means you've got another device cluttering up the area around the PVR and you need another power point to power the hub. When you've got an external HD for recordings, wifi dongle, wireless keyboard and external USB tuner all needing USB ports (and you'd want another spare USB so you can transfer files to another USB drive), you need 5 USB ports, with at least 2 being USB3 (for the recording HD & transfer drive). With an internal HD and more internal tuners, you'd free up 2 USB ports (and one power point if you no longer needed the USB hub), not to mention the amount of clutter you'd remove from around the PVR.

And speaking of tuners, that's the other big issue: the V2 only has 2 tuners. With 5 networks in Australia, 2 tuners just doesn't cut it. I reguarly record from 3 networks simultaneously on my T3 and U4.

For me, I won't be buying a new Beyonwiz PVR until they come out with something more like the U4.

These would be my must haves:
  • Internal HD (either 2.5" or 3.5")
  • Multiple USB ports, at least 2 of which are USB3 (with at least one USB3 at the front)
  • At least 3 built-in tuners (all at least full HD)
  • A much more reliable remote control!
HDMI in would be nice too.

Beyonwiz could keep selling the V2 as the low-cost option, but please give the rest of us something more like the U4.
Beyonwiz U4 (FW 19.3, Build 20211010)
Beyonwiz V2 (FW 19.3, Build 20211010)
Beyonwiz T3 (FW 19.3, Build 20191106) [No longer used - power supply cap problem]
Beyonwiz DP-P2 (FW DPP2-01.07.350)
Beyonwiz DP-Lite i (FW DPLite-01.07.350)

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Dec 16, 2021 23:08

Have you considered a NAS? That way you don't need any drives attached to the V2. You also have the option of using the microSD slot for local storage. Modern microSD cards are available in large capacities and the costs are declining.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Dec 16, 2021 23:12

maverick#1 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 22:09
And there's only 2 USB ports. With an external HD using the the USB3 port, there's no spare high speed port to copy recordings off the main HD unless you use a USB hub, but that then means you've got another device cluttering up the area around the PVR and you need another power point to power the hub. When you've got an external HD for recordings, wifi dongle, wireless keyboard and external USB tuner all needing USB ports (and you'd want another spare USB so you can transfer files to another USB drive), you need 5 USB ports, with at least 2 being USB3 (for the recording HD & transfer drive). With an internal HD and more internal tuners, you'd free up 2 USB ports (and one power point if you no longer needed the USB hub), not to mention the amount of clutter you'd remove from around the PVR.
That's one way to configure it.
I personally use mine with an SD card for internal storage, and use the network for copying all recordings to and from the PVR.
The V2 can utilise up to 5 tuners in total, though I have only fitted mine with a dual tuner to bring it up to 4. That's usually stacks for my own needs.
maverick#1 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 22:09
For me, I won't be buying a new Beyonwiz PVR until they come out with something more like the U4.
I honestly doubt there will be any more PVRs like this any more. The market is dwindling so rapidly as everyone switches to streaming and catchup TV.

It's more likely that future FTA recorders are built in the form of an app that runs on a generic Android base, which uses attached, or networked tuners to grab a signal.

maverick#1
Apprentice

Post by maverick#1 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 21:54

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 23:12
I honestly doubt there will be any more PVRs like this any more.
Yeah, I'm wishing I'd bought a second U4 when they were still around. I'll probably end up contacting Warkus to see if he's still doing T3 power supply repairs. If I can't get the T3 fixed, I'll ciheck if there are any other similar PVRs still being sold (e.g. Topfield). If all else fails, I'll continue using my P2.
Beyonwiz T3 (FW 19.3, Build 20191106) [No longer used - power supply cap problem]

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Dec 17, 2021 22:30

maverick#1 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 21:54
I'll probably end up contacting Warkus to see if he's still doing T3 power supply repairs.
Warkus has retired from the "repairing business".
Cheers
Gully

gibster
Master

Post by gibster » Sat Dec 18, 2021 18:52

There is the HD Homerun with up to quad tuners using Plex as the back end recording and viewing solution. Not as neat and simple as a Beyonwiz. But that option is there for people that like to play around with things.
BeyonWiz V2
Sony KD-55A9F OLED
Sony KD-65X9000E
Apple TV 4K and Apple TV 4K Gen 2
Sony UBP X800 4k/UHD BluRay Player (Moded for all regions)
X-Box One X
Harmony Ultimate Remote
QNAP TS-451+ NAS

maverick#1
Apprentice

Post by maverick#1 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 20:52

Gully wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 22:30
Warkus has retired from the "repairing business".
Damn! He did a great job fixing my P2 a few years back.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Dec 18, 2021 22:12

gibster wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 18:52
There is the HD Homerun with up to quad tuners using Plex as the back end recording and viewing solution. Not as neat and simple as a Beyonwiz. But that option is there for people that like to play around with things.
And funnily enough, a Wiz can be used in place of a HDHomerun box if you want. There is a plugin that lets it do that job to act as a backend to Plex.

Plex as a DVR is a bit clumsy though.

gibster
Master

Post by gibster » Sun Dec 19, 2021 22:35

MrQuade wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 22:12
gibster wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 18:52
And funnily enough, a Wiz can be used in place of a HDHomerun box if you want. There is a plugin that lets it do that job to act as a backend to Plex.

Plex as a DVR is a bit clumsy though.
I agree,and had played around with that plugin for a bit. That was why I mentioned it would only be good for someone that likes to play around with things. I just love the Wiz, I'm considering purchasing another to have a spare LOL.
BeyonWiz V2
Sony KD-55A9F OLED
Sony KD-65X9000E
Apple TV 4K and Apple TV 4K Gen 2
Sony UBP X800 4k/UHD BluRay Player (Moded for all regions)
X-Box One X
Harmony Ultimate Remote
QNAP TS-451+ NAS

maverick#1
Apprentice

Post by maverick#1 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 20:20

This forum topic is "Wishlist for Next PVR?" but I get the feeling that there may not be a "next" PVR from Beyonwiz. Is anyone aware of any information - official or unofficial (but reputable) - suggesting that Beyonwiz may be working on a new PVR?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:03

maverick#1 wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 20:20
Is anyone aware of any information - official or unofficial (but reputable) - suggesting that Beyonwiz may be working on a new PVR?

There is never any information about what's in the pipeline. Even if there is something to be released soon, those who know will have been asked not to say anything. IIRC, there was only one release where the pre-release testers were told that they could discuss the upcoming model on the forum, and even then, that was close to the release day.

Pretty much all the information about pre-release information will be posts like this.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:14

As Peter says, those who know invariably have signed a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). When I have done pre-release testing for other manufactures I have always had to sign a NDA. Sometimes a proposed model is abandoned, or the hardware changed (different SoC, differnt form-factor). This happened with the IceTV SKIPPA - and, if I recall correctly, the number of tuners was decreased from 4 to 3. These changes were made by the OEM, not IceTV itself. In that case the specifications were released in advance to facilitatate advance purchases.

Ian
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:39

IanL-S wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:14
As Peter says, those who know invariably have signed a non-disclosure agreement (NDA).

I've never had anything so formal as that with Beyonwiz, but I simply accept that as someone asked to help with pre-release testing, and not to talk about it on the forum, I don't say anything about pre-release testing, even whether there's any going on.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

BeeJay
Apprentice

Post by BeeJay » Mon May 16, 2022 20:56

I think “wishlist for next PVR” is like asking what’s your wishlist for the next optical disk format. There won’t be one.

My Topfield is dying and so I did the hunt for replacement PVRs. There is Panasonic (with all its FreeView crippledness, including encrypting recordings so they can’t be copied), there’s Beyonwiz, and there’s Humax. I think that’s it now.

I bought Beyonwiz because it seemed closest in functionality and customisability as Topfield. I hope it will last me another 10 years and be my last ever PVR.

Everyone streams stuff now on demand. Recording FTA is a case of “OK, boomer”.

mkwilson
Master

Post by mkwilson » Tue May 17, 2022 18:54

BeeJay wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 20:56
I think “wishlist for next PVR” is like asking what’s your wishlist for the next optical disk format. There won’t be one.

My Topfield is dying and so I did the hunt for replacement PVRs. There is Panasonic (with all its FreeView crippledness, including encrypting recordings so they can’t be copied), there’s Beyonwiz, and there’s Humax. I think that’s it now.

I bought Beyonwiz because it seemed closest in functionality and customisability as Topfield. I hope it will last me another 10 years and be my last ever PVR.

Everyone streams stuff now on demand. Recording FTA is a case of “OK, boomer”.
There's also the Fetch and Fetch Mighty. Quite common, but also hamstrung by Freeview requirements. You can, it seems get files off the boxes with a bit of stuffing around.

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”